Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Hurling League 2023 Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Seems to be a bit of a mentality in Clare judging by the crazy reaction from the Clare Media Mafia on the 2 blatant red cards been highlighted on the Sunday game after last year's Munster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Cork man makes a match between Limerick and Clare about Cork... how very Cork.

They haven't much done, not in comparison to Cork and most other Munster teams.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see Cork beating them in the All-Ireland championship this year anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,117 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Tip man gets dig at Corkman when Tip aren't playing.

It's a simple tact isn't it.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,117 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Following the destruction of Westmeath last week and the fact that Limerick apparently hadn't much done, I think it's fair to say that I expected more from Clare tonight. Apparently you know how much most Munster teams have done, fair dues, as I certainly wouldn't.

You are the only one talking about the championship, this is the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I think Dowling said last week at ht that Limerick had a lot more done at this time of year than they had last year and it shows. In their two games they've been very strong in 3 of the 4 halves. With about 7 or 8 of last years winning team starting in both games. Cian Lynch looking good. Some of the non regular starters looking sharp too. They look hungry for more silverware which is ominous for the rest of us.

Yeah, I thought Limerick looked a lot sharper this year than a year ago too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,922 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I think Cork were a much better preparation for this game than Westmeath were. Clare still looked in preseason mode.

Most important thing for Limerick is how fluid we were. None of the sloppy mistakes that were a huge problem last year and last week.

Cian Lynch back is huge. The man is absolute magic and I don't think there was ever a better player for being able to make the sliotar stick to the hurley like it's got a magnet. Apt I suppose as Mackey and uncle Ciaran were both famous for it.

• Advertisement

The 6 point win for Limerick felt more like a 10+ point win. A very comprehensive beating of the Banner men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

Not sure how that would work in practice but why does a League medal have to be as important as an All-Ireland medal to matter? Just because it's not doesn't mean that a pundit dismissing it makes interesting television. You could hear that in any pub you'd venture into.

It would work very easy in practice. If all the fair weather fans showed up for the league matches and trophy homecomings as they do for championship then managers and players would want to win it and sponsors would get involved (as was mentioned earlier)

People are forever blaming the GAA, pundits, league structures and everything except the fans who are the only people who can actually make a tournament important.

The true scoreline was probably the one around 55/60 mins.

Great games tonight from the new Kilmallock lads up forward.

Limerick really took the foot off the pedal around then alright.

He was certainly popping scores over for fun.

Interesting metric that. It makes last year's League final (albeit from two success-starved counties) "more important" than Kilkenny and Wexford's championship game which got nowhere near filling Nowlan Park.

It was more important.

But you are wrong about the metric. The issue is not that Cork can bring more fans to the league than Kilkenny to the championship which is unfair due to population.

It how many they bring compared to themselves. Cork vs Limerick brought 20k to the league and 40k to the championship.

Maybe so. (Some might differ on the basis that the result was the difference between Dublin or Wexford qualifying for the All Ireland series which matters to some counties.)

But if it was more important then why is a League medal dismissed by a pundit on television when as you suggest it's far more meaningful than qualifying from your province in the championship? If it has that importance then why not just acknowledge that. No need for the cute hoorism surely.

So why is the league less important than the championship. Who is to blame ?

(I'm happy enough to go with the status quo. I don't care that the league is weaker but some people are forever moaning about this or that as if someone is to blame)

To go back to my original point someone blamed the likes of Dalo for sponsors not being interested in the league but only fans can make that happen.

I suppose in every sport there is a pecking order of competitions. That's just the nature of it. No idea why. Financial reward is probably a factor.

But sponsors are interested in the League. I just wondered how long they would continue to see value in it when someone such as Daly diminishes it on television (while happy to be paid to be pundit talking and writing about it mind you).

No doubt sponsors probably look at it differently and think in terms of brand recognition rather than the quality of the competition per se but it must make sponsors wonder in straitened financial times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

One reason sponsors are interested in the National Hurling League is length of the competition, it takes up so much of the inter-county season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,819 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

There was a discussion on 'ourgame.ie' a few weeks ago about the Importance of the league and a few comments gave good suggestions

One was the Division 1 winner would be guaranteed a place in the All Ireland Preliminary QF (in place of the Joe McDonagh Runner up) if they didn't get out of the provincial group. I'd definitely look into that

Another one was the league winner would have all home games for the provincial championships

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Every county is different in my opinion, the funny thing about the dalo Davy row is Fitz is last Clare manager to win the league but he lost his job later in the year

Everything in Clare seems to be about championship and nothing else even Munster finals seems to have a shrug me shoulder attitude up here they are seen as a free shot in the championship

Previous managers are always based on how far they got in the all Ireland championship

I reckon in counties like cork a league title or Munster means more to them and upholds the counties tradition of wining

Waterford the same in the last 25 years have taken both competitions incredibly serious too, it seems the likes of Clare Galway and lately Tipperary have almost held back during the league

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Tipp lads dropping like skittles

Very scrappy, stop-start game first 10 mins.

20 gone and there is no rhythm at all to the game, quite poor. Crowd barely raising a murmour, hoping it gets better. Maybe all the changes have meant that teams are taking longer to get going. Tip up by 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Buckley wont be attempting to stop tynan again

Seems like a good day for hurling, but there's some awful wides by both sides.

Goal for Tipp gives them a 7 point lead, they seem to be getting going eventually.

That's the worst half of hurling i've seen by a Kilkenny team in a long time. Hard to believe they've been so bad.

Tipp have been ok, good at times but not great by any means. Have a nice lead but lots of spurned chances 11 wides out of 26 scoring attempts.

Not a great game overall. Crowd seem subdued.

• Advertisement

Kilkenny only a scoring 7 points at home in the first half is seriously poor.

They have a lot to get right at ht being 12 point down at ht to Tip is not what most were expecting I would imagine.

Advertisement