Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six Nations 2023 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Can sort of see now why Gatland put the geriatrics out last week against us. He's obviously had a look at the other options and realised there's nothing there.

Today was possibly needed to show that reality to the Welsh public. Poor old Wayne Pivac wasn't the problem after all, Wales were.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Is this trophy for the Scotland Wales game a new thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The Doddie Weir trophy. I wikied it and its been there since 2018.

Can't see anything other than an England win tomorrow but if Italy could keep them under 4 tries that would be ideal.

Wales winning today would have been better for us but it was a long shot given the shambles they're in. In the press conference Gatland looked like he wanted to be anywhere else - didn't have an awful lot to say and I think he is realising the dud he's been sold.

Round 3 is interesting. We'll know more about Italy after tomorrow but I don't think they're going to ship any cricket scores at home. We'll rotate moderately but I suspect we'll get the bonus point win.

I think France will win denying Scotland any points. Getting the BP against them today and not giving them a losing bonus point puts us in a pretty good position going into the break. I think France will look to have a reaction against Scotland and given it's a two week break before they head to Twickenham I think they'll be very focused on the home game.

Wales v England in round 3 is going to be fascinating and will be the match of the weekend. Again - until we see England tomorrow we only have the Scotland game to go by and on that basis they've a mountain to climb to improve either side of the ball. Can't be stressed how poor their defence inside the 22 was against Scotland.

Thoroughly enjoyable six nations so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭tmc1963

Are you new to rugby?

It's in honour of Doddie and has been around for a while

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭tmc1963

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

England have the physicality to bully the Italians, they dont have much else going for them rugby wise but they can make and win an arm wrestle out of the Italian match.

Wales vs Italy is going to decide the wooden spoon. Gatland has the problem now of deciding if he doubles down on the young lads or drop them and try to get another round out of the old fogies.

The scots will be in such shock at winning back to back games and having Ireland at home that they will start talking about grand slams, and then france will bring them back to reality with a bang.

The fixtures have fallen very well for ireland this year, wales away was handy for an opening game, a break of a week now after our hardest game gives a nice run into the italian match. Plenty of time to get ready for murrayfield and then the final push at home to england. If you could have designed the calender yourself it might be how you would have wanted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I doubt many people pay too much attention to the Mickey Mouse trophies they seem to invent for pretty much every Scotland game these days to be honest. There's one when they play Ireland as well isn't there - a load of nonsense.

Personally it feels like there's almost a four week break in the tournament now, the scheduling isn't great this year. Only an early red card could create an issue for Ireland in Italy, Wales v England will be interesting as a standalone test but is largely irrelevant to the wider tournament. I'm sure France will bounce back at home to Scotland. The serious stuff re-starts in four weeks time.

It's not a great schedule for Ireland either, there's no way we'd have wanted Italy as the game with the gap week either side and then have to do Scotland away and England back to back at the end.

I don't really get why Ireland v France was scheduled so early in the tournament either. Tournament organisers overrating England as usual probably.

• Advertisement

I think the schedule is excellent for Ireland. A week off after France is probably most welcome by the players because of the physical toll from that game.

Also having a week off between away fixtures in Rome and Edinburgh allows players to get home for a bit, unlike france who went on the road for two weeks to rome and then Dublin.

If we are still in contention for a GS then who else would you want but England at home.

My biggest criticism is the kickoff times of games, there was little or no sport on last night, why didnt they have a later kick off for yesterdays game?

The schedule has been helped by Wales being pushovers. France having Italy and us having Wales in the buildup to this weekend definitely afforded France a tidier run in albeit they underestimated Italy.

England at home the last weekend, if we're on for the slam could be a hell of a game. They may come into that game on one loss so if the points difference aren't silly season could be a win away from a championship. Even if they're not we've spoiled the party on the final weekend enough times that I wouldn't expect anything less from England - who will improve over the tournament.

France could go to twickenham and win yet, and they probably will as well.

The Wales vs Italy clash is intriguing and the scots will fancy a triple crown in round 4.

Still a lot of Rugby to be played!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Tempting the mocker gods, getting ahead of myself, whatever but I think we're far better than England at the moment and honestly I think we should beat them well.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,371 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ireland have more talent for sure and I fully agree that Scotland have enough about them to beat you if you make too many mistakes.

I noticed others giving out about the new trophy. Doddie Weir was a legend before he got ill and all he did to publicise and raise funds for research into Motor Neurone disease was fantastic. Most people retreat into a corner when they get diagnosed with something like that but he did the opposite. I'm delighted to see a cup named after him.

Italy could beat England today. They got off to an awful start against France last week and nearly pulled it out of the bag.

People said the same thing before the match about France being too physical for them and being able to open them up by drawing them into the middle.

If Italy can keep it tight early this England team might start to panic. I seen enough from Italy last week to believe they'll be very competitive.

England are not that good, they are making too many mistakes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think he is realising the dud he's been sold.

Ah, he was "sold" nothing, he has played a full part in his own stupid situation and its wonderful to see.

What do people think of Markus Smith being dropped and Ben Curry being axed from the squad? I see Ben Young's got axed too but he was brutal in fairness.

Borthwick seems to be using them as scapegoats by the looks of thinks. That's not a good look for a new head coach in my opinion. I think you need to put your arm around players who made mistakes and tell them everybody can have a bad day.

Now it's possible you see players being timid in possession for fear of making a mistake and losing their place in the squad.

Smidth is a great option from the bench. If italy SH plays as again england will piss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Jesus Wales were absolutely terrible yesterday. They are absolutely blessed they got Ireland first up I think cause if they met us yesterday or in a couple weeks time we'd likely put 50+ on them. Italy will be lining them up in Rome. Would Gatland walk if they went without a win? Very bleak times for Wales I think and it's hard to see the light for them.

Scotland will always look good if you allow Russell time. He's an excellent passer when given time. I suspect his pack with be retreating when France and Ireland are opposite him and that's when we see the mistakes creep into his game. Credit where it's due though, he's playing good rugby.

Looking forward to watching today's game. Italy need their half backs to improve considerably if they're to have any chance. Regardless of who starts, it was absolutely the right decision to stop playing Farrell at 12. England will be the better for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Wow. That's pretty condescending. I've been following rugby for the best part of 40 years and I couldn't name all the trophies contested between various test sides. I had heard of the Dodie Wier trophy but if you'd asked me who Scotland played for it, I'd have been guessing.

I know the teams involved in the Calcutta, Millenium, Bledisloe, Gallaher, Cook, Freedom and Mandela trophies/cups but theres loads I couldn't tell you. I'm sure theres a trophy for Ireland v Wales, Ireland v ABs, ABs v Wales, ABs v England and England v France but I couldn't name them off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

You'll be telling us you don't know what the Centenary Quaich is next ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

How did you forget the Centenary Quaich between Scotland and Ireland. Call yourself a rugby fan. Tut tut

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Or the Jubilee Charger.

Pffft.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The broadcast signal from Rome is being routed through the valves of a 1930s Roberts Wireless set.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,817 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Is that a new ref on the circuit?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Ref is all over the place in the scrum

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

It's hard six nations debut. His first international was one of the England Australia games last summer.

Jones hated him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

The first scrum pen, to me it looked like genge was at fault

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Harsh call on that penalty against Italy, looked like a perfectly good jackal to me

Advertisement