Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six Nations 2023 - Ireland v France Match Thread, Sat 11th Feb, KO 2:15PM - TV: RTÉ2, ITV, France2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Mate just asked an interesting thought question:

"Suppose France were a tourning side, and we play again next week (likely missing Sexton and Beirne), who wins?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I’d back Ireland due to their superior fitness, home advantage and the fact they have backed up big performances one after another in NZ.

Would we be getting injured players back in this thought experiment?

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Haven’t seen him mentioned yet but McCloskey put in another banging performance. Gave them something to think about all day, and lots of hard carries.

Possibly his best outing in green yet.

Thought everyone was good. Murray a little questionable in the first half but I’m reluctant to be critical. Byrne and Casey good when they came on.

Doris and Keenan are different gravy at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Fantastic match!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Rob Kearney is still the best Irish fullback I've ever seen. But Hugo Keenan is playing at such a high level right now that it's really only the longevity of the former that's keeping him ahead.

I think Keenan has been making a pivotal play every game for the last 18 months now. He's world class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭kuang1

Agree with almost all of the comments/observations about our performance today.

But I think our defence needs more of a mention. It's bloody immense. The fact that France were happy to take 3 points from anywhere between the halfway line and the ten metre line testified to what they knew they were up against.

With hindsight, I think they were hoping for a low-scoring, arm-wrestle type of game.

I don't think they were expecting an Irish team that was that fit, that strong, and that was equally comfortable in broken play as France have historically been.

On 68 minutes, it was obvious that France were spent. To a man, they were blowing. Macalou came on at around 60 mins for France, and even he was blowing at 68 because he was trying to cover 3 different positions due to the rest of the back row being so exhausted.

An absolute triumph for Irish rugby today.

Personally don't give a sh1te about world rankings, but we've now beaten everyone. Deserving world number 1.

Could say so much more...am rewatching it right now with a very special whiskey for company.

But a very special day, thank you squad and coaching ticket. Loved that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭blackcard

Looking back at the Keenan try, you can see how rehearsed a move it was. Sexton was sprinting past the French defence as Bealham was about to pass to Keenan. As Keenan broke through, it was a 6 on 2 as everyone else was aware of the move, O'Mahoney was in a blocking position for the French defenders. Great to see a plan come together

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

To think that the English media we're putting Freddie Stewart in the same bracket as Keenan just a few months ago

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Just got to see the game now and, well, that was a brilliant game of rugby; first half in particular. Some thoughts on that: 

- Doris is just playing consistently oustanding rugby at the moment. Sensational offload for the Ringrose try (and what a fend as well). 

- Closely followed by Keenan, who has legitimate claims to the best FB in the world at the moment. Imperious under the high ball, a brilliant kicker but he offers a huge amount in attack as well. His try was a brilliant finish off a set move, but he's such an intelligent player overall. For Hansen's intercept he seemed immediately switched on; he must've received the pass at full pelt. 

- Thought Lowe as well was excellent. His finish was obviously outstanding but his kicking now is beyond important to us too. 

- Delighted with Bealham's performance as well, he's been playing great stuff for the last 12 months or more. Super execution for the try and any one of about 5 players could've scored that try in the end. 

- And on that, France's opportunities were restricted to broken field, improvised moments of genius. Whereas our tries and attack seems way more repeatable and sustainble. The fact they went for the drop goal in the 2nd half suggests to me we had their number tbh.

- Thought Atonio's was a clear red card tbh; absolutely no attempt at a hinge. 

- You'd have to mention Dupont, he's got the be one of the best players in the game at the moment. His tackle on Hansen was phenomenal. By contrast, I thought Ntamack was anonymous. 

- We clearly kicked to keep the ball in play again, like vs Wales last week (unless there was an obvious territorial advantage on). And it worked brilliantly, we seemed to be increasingly in the ascendency as the game progressed. 

- Thought Craig Casey was excellent when he came on; I've been saying for awhile I think his kicking has improved for Munster over the last 6-12 months and he gave a perfect example of it here as well as his usual quality passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

BOD analyzed it at half time. It was setup from the moment Keenan passed to Doris. Keenan immediately tracked his run as soon as he passed to Doris. POM did really well to make sure Baille couldn’t get in the channel. Antonio was totally asleep for it. Clearly identified in analysis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

Agree with what the previous poster said about some key decisions going are way when they were dubious at best, however if you look at the game overall we clearly were the Dominant team in defence and attack and played better rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

One of the best things about that game today was that we have more in us. We got held up over the line 3 times and botched 2 or 3 chances too. Murray was off (tough week for the guy) and Hansen was a bit mixed. We were missing Healy, Sheehan, Furlong, JGP and Henshaw. We lost Herring to injury early and Sexton went off earlier than we’d have liked. Our tackle success was low (73%) and we lost a few line outs. And yet we won comfortably in the end. There are improvements we can make and players we can bring back.

And everything we have done is all repeatable, and has been repeated consistently now for a while. Our fitness levels are far higher than the French, which is why we were keeping it infield on our kicks. And our defence, particularly our scramble on a French line break, was very impressive. We restricted them to 2 visits into our red zone. One for their try and one for McCloskeys steal. Other than that they were never close to a try. On the flip side we could, and probably should, have had another couple.

Anyone not very pleased with that must be pretty miserable!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

On Keenan’s try, Ringland contributed by calling for the ball and creating indecision in the minds of the French.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Impressive performance by Sexton. 37 years old!!!! This man is a gem. Ross Byrne with a good effort.

The depth has really come on. Tom O'Toole getting valuable minutes and demonstrating his ability in the loose. He's just 24! Stu McCloskey playing very well, he's a difficult man to take down. He appears to be enjoying his rugby.

Murray played well, I thought. Casey very good also. That was a seriously good test. Ireland lost Herring after 20 minutes or so and Kelleher finally got back on the field. I thought Kelleher did well. Seriously powerful lad.

All in all, a great spectacle. I will say I wish Dupont was Irish, lol. The wee lad is in a class of his own.

I’m delighted with what we are doing right now. Let’s not jinx it with irrational exuberance.

Post edited by Ardillaun on

In my imaginary seven game series format, games would be played at home and away à la North American sport. On this performance we’d have a decent chance of winning such a series.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

There are a lot of remarkable things from the game but one of the most remarkable - France only spent 57s in the Irish 22 in the entire game. They still obviously had the ability to score from range (or anywhere on the pitch really) but Ireland controlled that game about as much as is possible against a team as good as France.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭midnightblue

Agreed. The place was buzzing. I haven’t been to the Aviva for test rugby in years, but I was pleasantly surprised pretty much everyone was in their seats by the time the anthems started.

I also think it helped that there were no green flags distributed, perhaps that helped with keeping the home crowd focused on roaring the team on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Yeah the general consensus was we would like absorb the loss of Sexton and Beirne if Sheehan and especially JGP returned. And that yeah, we'd leave fewer points on tbe table.

I think we are still vulnerable to that sort of deep counter-attack.

For the RWC the best thing about this 6N so far is our emerging depth in positions where we used to have one decent player.

• Advertisement

If that’s the calibre of try required to score against us tho, I think we can be extremely happy with that.

Our fitness levels are far higher than the French, which is why we were keeping it infield on our kicks.

Exactly the same vs Wales last week too, we kicked centrally to keep the ball in play.

Resulted in the following:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Alright lads. Your hot tipster is back, just checking in to see if you all cashed in on my latest prediction? I do apologise, I was a little out and I expected more tries from France but I'm sure you all made a nice wedge off the below:

'Here is the conclusion of my analysis. It will be a high scoring game. Ireland will be far ahead in the high scoring contest but not as much as last week. France will struggle to stay in touch but score some outstanding tries but Ireland will outclass them. Here we go:

Ireland 32 France 22'

I'll be back when I've finalised my analysis for the Italian game. I'm due to travel to Rome to do some research. Stay tuned for that and it's a bit early for my world cup hot tips but let's just say that the early lookout is positive for Ireland. I'm talking silverware positive. But you'll need to wait till later in the year for a full prediction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Notwithstanding the absolute brilliance of Ireland throughout, that try will be a sore point within the squad I’d say.

Sexton reached for some sort of one handed swipe on the ball carrier, Jelonch, to dislodge the ball and he let him slip past him way too easily, shockingly unacceptably terrible effort. It meant Keenan was forced to commit to stop him, and Hansen drifted over to help then when the pass went to Penaud off a different angle Hansen had to turn and Penaud was too quick to stop.

Not sure if Sexton was playing with a half-dead leg going into the match, might explain why he was subbed off again for another dead leg, but it didn’t make a difference in this instance as he was close enough to make a proper tackle.

See that passage of play again here starting at 1:42

I think Farrell needs to hold a public inquiry into that passage of play. What exactly was Sexton trying to do and was he perhaps attempting to assist the French?

"Shockingly, unacceptably terrible". Lol what are you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

The standards they set are way higher than that effort, sorry if you don’t see it that way, but clearly Sexton was absolutely at fault there.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

He attempted a more upright tackle well inside our own half and two seconds later got the player down on the second attempt.

It was a well taken try, our tackling wasn't great all day but then that's what makes France world number 2 - they're are good evasive runners who score tries from broken play.

They scored 1 all day.

You are being ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Penaud is a tough man to stop ala Dupont. Seems to bounce off a fair amount of attempts.

Should Beirne have nailed him when he started the break? Obviously on hindsight he should have completed the tackle to take him out of the equation but I wonder what the point of view in camp is in these situations? Leave him as the ball is gone and keep yourself in the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hold my beer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Think larmour should get a go against Italy, Hansen was average

Advertisement