Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭enricoh

There'll be 180k refugees here by year end the government estimates. This will have no impact on housing according to some posters on here!

You'd hope these posters have their snouts in the refugee industry, if not there's no hope for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

The funny thing about Klaus Schwab, is he can say whatever he likes, and the media will deny he said it. Its quite hilarious on some level.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Read a lot of this thread. Can someone please explain how the refugee problem is responsible for our inability to have an environment to get building housing and the inability for our government to fix our health service (in fairness this one is less or not used anymore)

The government have actually turned me towards the protesters 😂

fact: there are genuine protesters

fact: there is a far right element and Jaysus they are thick cnts

fact: I’m a renter and there are no homes to rent anymore, therefore dismissing someone saying Ireland is full is plain wrong

fact: the government have made a balls of a lot of things , and your man roderic should be nowhere near office

fact: anyone voting national party deserves a beating , yer man the midget actually is a nazi and shouldn’t be given the time of day

also there are many gullible people who are not educated parroting some awful shite they hear off really horrible people

also there are educated people parroting government bullshit who are just as thick

basically left and right can eat my sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 16,872 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

ireland's birth rate's have been decreasing since 2009.

from 2006 - 2016, there was an additional 200k houses built.

putting those 2 things together.....less demand and more supply you would think houses would be easily available

i would have adopted the OP's strategy (with some modifications) a few years ago

• Advertisement

I’d guess the main housing strain is good immigration, ie workers we bring in to fill the jobs we create , especially in tech and pharma

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Check those stats again : Ireland's population grew by more than half a million between 2009 and 2021. Number of new houses post the financial crash (i.e. the same period) was nowhere near 200k.

i must of made a mistake, we were talking about population growth?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭yoke

These people are idiots.

Most of the government expenditure in Ireland is not spent on housing - https://whereyourmoneygoes.gov.ie/en/2022/ (you can click on the 'other' section to see that housing took up only 6 billion out of the total 96.7 billion budget).

A lot more is spent on pensions and debt servicing, which are both items that cannot easily be reduced or removed, because they represent past debts. Not to mention the 20 billion spent on healthcare, which is actually a good thing, because its still cheaper for everyone to have a national health service costing 20 billion, than if everyone was getting ripped off by private healthcare, as what happens in USA.

The easiest way out of this is to actually allow MORE immigration of working age people - even if they are refugees, once they are allowed to join the workforce and pay taxes. This results in an increase in the total budget - basically, instead of trying to cut down expenses, which is a losers game, you increase the size of the economy.

Anyone saying "ireland is full" is a retard, a country like Japan can have 125 million, a country like ireland could easily support 25 million. England alone (not the entire UK) has 56 million, and they were generally richer than ireland (before brexit at least!).

These people blocking the road calling for immigrants out (Leo out? his mum was irish and his dad lived here for most of his life) are certainly not going to be the ones paying your pension or your healthcare bill when you get old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Actually, you should check your own stats.

Natural population growth in Ireland from 2009 through 2022 was 467,803. Mean household size throughout that time period was 2.75. The number of new dwellings required to support natural population growth throughout that time period was a little over 170K, translating to about 12.2K new homes per year.

I haven’t triangulated this requirement against the CSO stats for annual house/apartment completions, but I would be surprised if it didn’t average out at or above 12K per year. To use your own nomenclature, it seems a bit of a ‘fallacy’ to claim that migration plays no role in the acute housing shortage that currently pertains in Ireland..

Well you’ve certainly waded in two feet first.

Not to point out the obvious, but refugees and asylum seekers certainly aren’t going to be financing your pension either, particularly given the unemployment rate in some communities is 40% to 60%.

Skilled migration is fine. However, given that Ireland has a labor force of 2.5 million, it seems like that those skills can be sourced from within the EU for all but the most specialized positions.

In terms of growing the population to 25M, that may be your view. However, I suggest that it’s radically out-of-step with the desires of your fellow citizens.

Asylum seekers are unemployed because they are not legally entitled to work, so I'm not sure why you're including them.

As for "accepted" refugees, a lot of them go back to their country of origin within 6 months apparently, so they obviously never entered the jobs market. Regarding the remaining refugees, who opted to "settle" in the host country, I couldn't find anywhere saying they had any higher rates of unemployment than the local population?

If anything, the below link showing a briefing from the University of Oxford suggests the opposite is true and they have lower rates of unemployment at least in the UK, which should be relevant since its our closest neighbour.

Asylum seekers are legally entitled to work after 6 months.

Can you link to evidence corroborating your statement that ‘accepted’ refugees leave this state after 6 months. That’s quite an extraordinary claim to make. Please support it.

Check out the employment statistics of Nigerian and Congolese nationals in Ireland. Triangulate them with the employment rate of Irish and EU nationals. I suggest it may undermine the fidelity of your previous statements.

Dunno if you trust amnesty international, but I looked for return rates using google and this was one of the links I had seen:

It says: "Over the past decade, just over 1 million refugees were resettled, compared to 3.9 million refugees who returned to their country."

Again, I've no idea how reliable these figures are, but I'm guessing they're not going to be totally wrong.

Not sure why you're singling out Nigerian and Congolese nationals in Ireland, as according to https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp11eoi/cp11eoi/lfnmfl/ there's a whole section titled "Higher employment for those with better English". Anyway that's splitting hairs, the majority of people once added to the country should be able to pay taxes in the country, thus contributing to the economy - if there are strange effects or outliers, then they should be addressed as strange effects or outliers, not as our immigration policy.

For example, if there is a correlation found that Nazis and Islamic fundamentalists are hugely detrimental to society, then we should have things in place that stop them affecting our society - nothing to do with immigration really, more of a 'law and order' and 'education' problem, coupled with criminal justice system requiring proper teeth (prison is a joke for majority of prisoners).

There was reports last year of tech giants bulk booking rentals in Dublin , I recall it was between the big companies doing deals with those evil property companies that were buying everything

I can only imagine the hell that this country would be if we hit 20m

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭creeper1

There is a big difference between controlled immigration and a chaotic free for all. Migrants invited with documents including criminal background check and educational certificates are doubtless more valuable.

However a revolution is coming to take away jobs. Tesco and McDonald's now have automated cashiers. Apparently the burger flipping is going to be automated in the future as well as driverless trucks, buses and even planes. We're all going to have a tougher time getting employment in the future. We actually don't need more labour coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

"Non-EU migrants moving to the UK seeking asylum have a higher unemployment rate and a lower employment rate than other non-EU migrants (Figure 5). For example, the unemployment rate in 2020 among non-EU born migrants who moved to the UK seeking asylum was 14%"

So refugees are less likely to be in employment

Indeed. Dystopian just about covers it.

It’s incredible that anybody could consider that a sensible goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Was just missing the 'Irish emigrated too!' for a slam dunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭enricoh

Looks like the ship is sinking, let's see how many TD's come to Rodericks rescue with an election a little over a year away! For self preservation reasons everyone with a bit of cop on is gonna be rowing the other way!

You'll have the Joan Collins' and Gary cannons of this world washing up on the rocks with u Roderick.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/refugee-and-migrant-crisis-rocks-the-coalition-as-fine-gael-politicians-round-on-greens-roderic-ogorman-42338370.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Very good point on radio this morning. O'Gorman has been thrown under a bus by FFG in relation to housing refugees and asylum seekers.

Why would you give this massive job to a new TD and Minister in the small coalition partner? Aren't there plenty of FG TDs with ministerial experience who could take this role? The 2 Simons have feck all to do for example but both of them would point blank refuse it. FG need to own it. It appears he isn't getting much support from his coalition partners either. If Ryan had any cop on he would not allow this to happen. It reminds me of when Trickle Hogan handed the Irish Water superquango mess to Labour's Alan Kelly.

Put a FG TD in charge and let's see what happens.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

If you want to help refugees, is there a charity you can donate to?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,840 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Given the track record of some of the charities in this country - as very publicly documented in recent years - you might as well burn your money yourself as it has as much chance of getting to where it's needed that way.

The best thing you or anyone can do to help refugees now is to lobby your government TDs to put an end to the current free-for-all advocated for by the likes of O'Gorman above that has more and more arriving when we can't even support those already here - especially when many/most? of these latest arrivals are in fact economic migrants or chancers abusing the situation even more, and who are reducing still further the limited resources we actually have for those genuinely in need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Sure if Bertie didn't need a bank account neither do thee lads and lassies 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The overwhelming number of people who come to Ireland are "economic migrants" and "chancers", as are all of the Irish people who move abroad. This idea that moving to another country to make a better life for yourself is an aberration seems a peculiar one in right wing circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

You would give it to a Green because this is that their supporters love.

Inclusion, Equality, Diversity etc all big things Green supporters love. Ending DP was big for them.

Also where else could you put a Green Minister? And which of them have experience?

FG didn't make him send that tweet in multiple languages. He's likely a nice idealistic guy who is incredibly out of his depth having never worked in anything but acedemia and theory for his life. Now his misguided, short sighted decisions have consequences

• Registered Users Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Aragh Fine Gael promised to end direct provision in both the 2016 and 2020 general elections. They also created the housing disaster and have been in power for 12 years. How was an inexperienced Green TD given this role? A normal company would not give a major project to a junior newbie.

Aren't his decisions implicitly approved by cabinet and the 2 clueless taoisigh? Where has Michael and Leo disagreed with his policy? Why havent they replaced him with someone more competent?

Let's be a bit adult about all this. None of the Greens should have this role.

FF TDs have Health, Housing and Finance and they are struggling in the first two bigtime. Time for FG TDs to step up. They just want portfolios that make them look good. Useless.

The likes of Doherty and Ring giving out about O'Gorman on the airwaves this weekend - oh **** off you cowardly gombeens. Zero honour in that. Just populist BS.

And I do not vote Green!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

This idea that moving to another country to make a better life for yourself is an aberration seems a peculiar one in right wing circles.

Call it what you want, but it's illegal when it's not done through the proper channels, which most of these people are not doing, so yes they are chancers, as they are chancing their arm hoping for something that they know that they don't legally qualify for. Everyone wants a better life, but we have a right to say no if their wishes for a better life harm our own stability. That's another point that you love to ignore; if this continues as is, the quality of life will dwindle for everyone, and there'll be no "better life" in Ireland for anyone.

Years later and I'm honestly still surprised that there's adults out there who've not one bit of sense when it comes to maintaining order and function, who think that society has no limits, that anyone can come here and that we can all live in prosperity, with no risks to society at all. This isn't some hippy commune where you can experiment with mad ideas, it's a civilization with millions of people, millions of peoples whose lives you're playing with.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Advertisement