Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six Nations 2023 - Ireland v France Match Thread, Sat 11th Feb, KO 2:15PM - TV: RTÉ2, ITV, France2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭kuang1

Ooohhhh.... My head is a bit sore. The level in the whiskey bottle is fairly low this morning. The regret starts to kick in... Then vanishes BECAUSE WE BEAT THE PHECKIN FRENCH YESTERDAY! 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

• Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The whole thing would bring a tear to your eye. There were times where I didn’t think Farrell was on the right track in terms of how he was developing the squad and I was way wrong. It all stretches out ahead of us. What a time to be alive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Musicrules

I don't want to give away too much but to deliver predictions as accurate as I do takes in depth analysis. After my trip to Italy, I will know how often Ange Capuozzo goes to the toilet. I have sources in many places, cameras seeing things they shouldn't see. All of this to provide you all with saucy tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Ha, I don't give a damn about the tips but I'd be interested to know some toilet stats 😆

• Advertisement

Yeah obviously we should only give out about poor refereeing decisions when our team loses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Haven't seen anyone else mention it so maybe I'm overreacting but I thought Barnes allowing a clearly concussed Rob Herring to pick the ball up in live play was shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Dupont holding him up on the line should be automatic benching.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,100 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

A bit unfair. Hansen didn't have the best of games but he came up against an extraordinary effort there from Dupont. I think he'd have stopped most players. And Hansen would have gotten over against anyone else.

Ah here. Dupont has thighs like tree trunks. Hansen is the archetypical winger built for speed. No contest there.

The real issue was that he had his hands free and nobody gave him the option to offload to them. There was certainly at least one player there to give that option and didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yeah, Hansen was taking the ball in a less than optimal position. It was just outrageously good defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I think he fussed POM over that afterwards. POM went to the left, when he could've stayed closer to the touchline for a pop pass

An element of luck to it too. If Dupont's centre of gravity is a bit more on the negative side, the tackle topples over and Hansen scores.

Thanks, couldn't remember who it was. I think POM was trying to help get the ball to ground for the recycle, but missed the opportunity to take the offload and get the score. Small margins again really.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭farmerval

On this point, what were the Irish Medical staff doing?? Herring was going into the next scrum and no apparent move for the Irish Bench? Maybe they were talking to the fourth official or whatever?

We're not building up the greatest track record with head injuries it has to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

POMs pace got shown up badly here, he started beside Hansen and Keenan but was 20 meters behind and when he caught up the damage was done. Same on the Sexton break, he struggled to keep up pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It’s hard to comment on those as you don’t know who is talking to who and whether there are delays getting messaging on to Barnes, and if so where those delays are. At the end of the day though he didn’t play on. He should have been off sooner but while it did take a little longer than it should have we got the right result.

Dupont used weight and leverage but most importantly balance against a player who had to dip to gather the ball. It was a remarkable piece of skill and awareness but something you see in grapling sports all the time (wrestling, judo etc.).

True, it is hard to comment and its not a comment I make lightly. But we've seen quite a few questionable calls involving Ireland players in the last year now. Could just be a systems breakdown and I'm not suggesting malice, but something does seem to be going wrong more often than it should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭farmerval

As a casual rugby watcher, the thing that impresses me most about Ireland right now, is that when playing at a huge tempo they look so comfortable taking the right decisions. When the opposition are blowing the Irish lads look in complete control. They look a bit like Limerick do in Hurling at the moment, playing at that higher level than the other teams. When we still had water breaks in GAA Limerick could bring on a tactics board for 60 seconds and adjust their shape to the message instantly. Ireland are playing with that type of clarity at the moment.

Beating South Africa and now France is big, these are the type of teams we have traditionally struggled against. Keeping the ball in play for long periods, not letting the game become set piece dominated, meant that we set the tone throughout.

Slightly different view here.

For as long as I have watched (A long time!) Ireland could on their day beat the best or at least lose heroically and then frustratingly not perform against lower ranked opposition the next day out.

What we seem to have now is consistency and a legitimate expectation that we will perform across all games. Farrell and his team have engineered strenght in depth and it is paying dividends.

I can't wait to see where that brings us at a world cup.

P.S. Nervous posting this...Italy are gonna beat us aren't they! 😣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Unreal game. Watched it in Dohney and Nesbits so a big foggy today. Thought it was a great collective performance but still room for improvement. Even though he scored the try, ringrose had a bad enough game by his standards. Kelleher line out throws was off and Conor Murray was hot and cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I don't understand why team management and medics can't just make a call themselves and say....."let's just get it checked".

Regarding the red card itself, I think this idea of mitigation and interpretation has led to a s**tshow. I am involved in minis rugby. The kids know that tackles muse be below the waist - it's a simple instruction and we have to work hard to instill that into children. My son comes home, watches a game and he assumes a high tackle should be a red card. We now have a situation where some high tackles which are dangerous and injure players are red cards and some are yellow. How is that going to benefit the game in the long run?

Everyone in the game at elite level (unions, management, players, medics, RW etc) needs to do better on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,323 ✭✭✭✭phog

Excellent result, great game and fantastic game management from Ireland. The game plan worked from start to finish. I was a bit concerned that while we had 3 tries to their one we were only a few points ahead but once we got the BP it was game, set and match.

Didn't look great for Beirne afterwards, won't make much difference to Ireland but Munster will need him back as we move into the business end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Medical teams need to stand up.

I think it would be a positive in dragging the referees attention that an issue is serious.

Barnes thought Herring was fine which helped him with his bullshit reasoning that the tackle was a low degree on danger.

i think the medical team hooking Herring would have made the low degree of danger argument disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Barnes' decision to give the yellow was correct per the WR protocol.

Maybe we need to change the protocol but if we want consistency among referees then the only way to do that is have them follow the protocols, and that's what Barnes did.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

It'll make a big difference to Ireland imo, he's been one of our best players for the past 12-18 months. And there's a big dropoff between the big 3 and everyone else in the second row so obviously impacts the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Not going to go on about it but just to set you straight that the tackle was missed in the French half and he didn’t get back to make the tackle at all, in fact Keenan made the tackle but Jelonch had the time to turn and pass because he wasn’t tackled by then, Keenan was sucked in and made the tackle 20 metres later about 3-4 seconds after the missed tackle, just between the Irish ten metre line and the 22 metre line.

Sexton did not make the tackle, let’s be honest, did you watch the clip before posting or were you too keen to get in an insult that facts didn’t matter, by the way how do you decide which incidents that cost tries and which players that were responsible are ridiculous to highlight?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Well there isn’t consistency amongst referees. We have seen other referrees view similar situations differently. The protocols were used to explain his decision. It does not mean the decision was correct. Barnes used contact with the chest as mitigation and mentioned whiplash from that. That was clearly not the case. He said there wasn’t a high degree of danger. Clearly that wasn’t the case.

Advertisement