Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

fair enough , i have little sympathy for him and what awaits him ,

i have more interest in the game today , i fancy KK today , 10 changes is too many in my opinion by tipp last week was a different type of game to this , ye have a strong team named too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Rosita

Yeah, with Clare (troublesome League opponents for Kilkenny usually), Wexford, Cork, Limerick and Galway in the other group, Kilkenny should easily make the League final. The challenge for supporters will be to not read too much into it like happened in, was it 2018?

or even last year in thurles , no one was giving half these players a chance after that game in the league ,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,665 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Rumours in the paper today about a very prominent ex hurler

if these rumours are true, surely to heavens he will have to leave the GAA completely.

rumours spreading like wildfire around the county.

Locals are absolutely disgusted with the Carry on.

its been mentioned on here , there is even a thread about it on this site at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

Less of the sensationalism. We're all aware here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,905 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mod Note

A few posts deleted.

As the alleged player has yet to be named officially and it is an ongoing case, kindly do not mention names or try to give indications mentioning words/terms/videos etc that would give an idication as to who he is.

Warnings and bans will be applied to those who do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Pretty sure Byrne was MOTM in the under 21 final in 2018. He was always going to be tried. Byrne has all the hurling and everything required but none of the commitment. The task was always to get Byrne committed. I'd say he probably has twice the talent of someone like Cadell and just as talented as Brian McGrath (way more physical than both) but has about 25% of their application to training. The reason Byrne was stuck with was because of his massive potential. But Byrne couldn't give a sh*t.

Darren Gleeson was an easy pick. Outstanding at club level. He was also on the Tipp underage radar but not to the same extent as Byrne.

It's not like they were not on the road already. That Gleeson wasn't picked says more of previous managers. But I do agree, managers tend to go with a club man that they've seen themselves do the business regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭forchange

Actually I think he was 4 choice

but to say what you say you must be very bitter of him because in fairness like him or love him he one of the most successful managers at all levels and even in weaker counties you can’t argue with facts

cody management of kilkenny has being terribly in the last seven years every since fogarty left him not only in results but how he managed players and how he used his position as manager to promote his son and village players facts are facts

if I was related to him I would have no problem with it

It’s being said I want to get rid of half the team

buckley did not play last year all Ireland

fogarty did not play last year all Ireland

Walter a bit player

Keogan taking of in Leinster semie and final

great trier run all day to me to hurl for kilkenny you need more especially in championship in crime park

Billy Ryan I have not seeing anyone argue otherwise

Between under 20 and some very good young players coming through I just think start fro scratch

today young heary a great hurler being put in comer back he is a half back what you could learn today about him for the championship would be invaluable what are you going to learn about Buckley

By all accounts a few of the lads gone to Australia could be on the way home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

Hi there not related to above topic but was wondering if any of you used the TG4 links on you tube to stream any of the club hurling games this year? I tried to stream one of ballyhales game the

Jesus the first half is a tough watch. I have to agree with the above poster that cillian Buckley should be gone he is terrible he has nothing to offer going forward giving away the ball, bad passes leading to scores, billy Ryan is worth persevering with has something to offer. And another gripe KCLR not even offering the game live after blocking CRKC from live gaa broadcasts. Sham station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

??????????? KCLR have the stream up....You have a choice of 2 streams when you click in. Carlow frequency gives you Carlow football game (think its vs Kerry) and KK frequency gives you the KK/Tipp game

https://listen.kclr96fm.com/livestream/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

As bad a first half as I've seen, woeful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Hard to argue with your assessment of Wally, Ryan, and Buckley on that half of hurling anyway. Shooting is terrible, defending is really soft, we are miles off the pace. It's only February and we're missing loads of lads etc etc but everyone in that dressing room should be bouncing off the walls to prove they can do a better job than that display.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

In fairness to Ryan he's the only forward who's got on the ball, scored a nice point and set up another.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭kksaints

Fairly awful half. First touch of the players is dreadful. Players are too static also, Tipps 2nd goal came from a player waiting for the ball instead of moving towards it. I think once the short passing clicks it will work but there's work to be done. Tallis needs to work on his judgement of pace when passing, he's underhit too many at this stage. Buckley as sweeper should have a short lifespan, he hasn't been good. Billy Ryan's movement is needed but we need more end product, we'd have a few goal chances if he got rid of the ball at the right time.

2nd to every ball, no one looking up when passing or clearing the ball....Buckley must have given away possession 3 or 4 times which resulted in a score for Tipp.

2nd goal for Tipp was a shambles.

Damage limitation for the 2nd half

Thanks my bad I was on the Carlow frequency 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭conor05

That performance wouldn’t get you a win in the Joe McDonagh cup, it’s a level below, more like Christy ring stuff lads can’t even jab lift the ball off the ground, can’t handpass to a chap 5 yards away and hitting the ball wide in their own side on the 21.

They’d want to really really improve in the second half so it doesn’t become an embarrassing score line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

How is Cillian Buckley still on the field let alone near the panel? We must be really stuck for players. This is an awful showing for Derek Lyngs first big game against our biggest rivals at home. Why did he not ask the Ballyhale lads to come back for this game?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

The 1 ballyhale lad that's there isn't doing much..blanchfield is after making a difference since coming on

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

What will Lyng learn from this game. Well he can't have a forward line that has Walter, Ryan and Mossy in it at the same time. Buckley should be cut from the panel. Padraig Walsh is more than past his best at this stage. Tallis leads a lot of work on his puckouts. They were dreadful. We are really reliant on the Ballyhale lads to make the difference, hopefully Mullen is not too far away

Just as awell we do have the Ballyhale lads to come back, not that that guarantees us anything, but I don't think they should have played today, one decision we got right. I was hoping for a much better showing from the rest of the panel, bit better in the 2nd half but Tipp were poor enough for first 20 mins of 2nd half too, some awful wides on both sides.

Blanchfield made a difference when he came in, fielded some lovely ball and looked up and hit some nicely measured diagonal ball in to Drennan and Mossy. Donnelly should have buried that ball, needed to bounce it though. Tallis had some poor puckouts too.

All in all, depressing enough......early days though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

Lawlor, Blancfield, Billy Ryan and Drennan were outstanding. Most of the others bet or just not up to it.

very disappointed in that result

it’s bad enough not playing well but playing so badly against a poor team

Walter as bad a performance I have seeing

Buckley gone past it hit more ball to tipp than kilkenny player

paddy Deegan the usual tried hard no end product

mossy the same missed as much as he got come pace in championship at nothing

fogarty Gone past it 3 years now

billy ryan again missed more than he got gave away ball

nothing changed

The manager showed his inexperience by picking a chap from his own club with no experience of this level most hurling people did not know who he was

so now we have a chance to face reality

the comment that we nearly won all Ireland is a person that really needs to look at it only for Tj gave a one man show if he had any one with him we would have won unfortunately there was to many work houses and negative hurlers with him

The only person responsible for that was the great manager that was his philosophy it was more important to be able to stop other team than you go and beat them with your skill the way kilkenny teams always did

for a change when ye going to have a go at me back up with facts

everthing I said was showing up out on that pitch today

re John Donnelly I have said he good hurler unfortunately not quick enough for championship hurling

today he scored his usual few pints but again missed a few wish it was different

see you all for the championship

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Some interesting points.

Yes it was probably a bit soon to throw kilian doyle in midfield.

Yes buckley gave away a lot of possession but he will still have a role to play in the summer.

Padraig does some outstanding work but also leaves gaps in the half back line.

Put blanchfield in wing back and leave him there.

Tommy walsh and Darren mullen will add competition to the full back line.

As richie reid and blanchfield will in the half back line.

Ditto paddy mullen and possibly ronan corcoran in the middle.

TJ, Adrian mullen and eoin Cody will do their stuff from there on.

Mid February and very little ball work done. If we were in this position mid April then I'd start to have a few worries but we will improve.

At the same time it's not nice to get turned over by 5 points by anyone at home. The bite wasn't there today with the exception of drennan, Billy Ryan, lawlor and a few more.

Tallis got caught a few times with his half back line but that's down to communication more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Denny61

Have to laugh here at all ye kilkenny supporters trying to defend yer team here by saying it was a poor tipp team ..take yer beating like real gaa people and not using lame excuses..im a neutral and tipp were exceptional and a lot of up and coming talent ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭jimmythesulk

That was Tipps All Ireland today. We are looking to peak when it matters.

Advertisement