Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the point?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I agree with you.

Got banned for making a suggestion who could be a good moderator, a current moderator, for the SARS CoV 2 forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭YellowLead

‘I will review the aggressive facial features thread as in fairness I might have called that one wrong, but for the rest I do not feel that I was unfair in my closing of them’

To be fair you closed the online dating thread and then reopened it fairly promptly - so I think you can admit you made a mistake on that one too :)

But it is appreciated that you did indeed re open it and didn’t feel like you had to stick by your initial decision, so that’s positive and commendable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

If AH should be funny, the Wokeism thread needs to be addressed and moved to a more appropriate forum. . It’s hard line, toxic and political and used to bash people, mainly trans people.

Nothing remotely funny or lighthearted about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Ah now, the AH Woke thread is now locked for review.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

I'd just like to know have mod warnings and bans gone out the window before closing threads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭archfi

I think someone should have a quick word in someone's shell like.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

I’d cut the new moderators a huge amount of slack. The internet has become such a hugely angry place, and it’s hard to spot when threads are fundamentally good natured and irreverent in nature. They might not be to everyone’s taste, but ya just don’t have to read them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

AH is probably the only forum that has a lot of active users, so it's gone from a fringe nonsense forum to the main forum on the site.

I don't like heavy handed modding, but maybe the mods could move threads into more appropriate forums and leave AH to what it's meant to be.

Totally agree.

But If the forum declares it’s a lighthearted nonsense forum, then heavy stuff belongs elsewhere. Different audience.

Maybe with new mods coming onboard, traffic can be directed appropriately and will find its natural home and the site will benefit overall.

• That’s what I’m looking at with the thread at the min. From a glance it’s gone way past light hearted and something more suited elsewhere but at the same time before doing that I need to read over and make sure it’s not violating the charter of forums it may be more suited for.

If that’s the case then it will either stay with an emphasis on posting more lighthearted or not posting at all but if it’s a time sink then I don’t know.

The fact is I’ve seen that thread mentioned a lot & it’s gotten a fair few reports recently that warrant a proper look as it’s an active and long running thread any final decisions should be made carefully I think!

So sorry to anyone who’s missing it at the min, but you may just bare with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

But it made enough sense to you so as to edit it.

One thing I hate is people telling me what I want to say, especially when getting the word out is difficult enough. A common enough occurance for me in real life

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

You may end up creating another problem where the thread quickly dies out due to obscurity or is closed immediately in the current affairs forum or wherever it ends up.

So would the OP have an issue if the threads mentioned in the OP were instead moved from AH as "more appropriate elsewhere"?

Do we still have the Thunderdome and R&R? It's been years since I checked.

Thunderdome is gone, R&R is till there but you need to request access.

Private forums are now groups on the Vanilla platform.

That depends on their content I suppose.

Posts I’m referring to are not about cutting your lawns on a bank holiday but more about topics with a political agenda which clearly belong elsewhere.

It would be hard to argue that trans bashing comments often referencing specific people or incidents belong on an After Hours lighthearted thread. It’s fair to say that these threads are taken seriously by people and they feel strongly on the topics.

its down to the admins to define the parameters for the forums. Only then can the moderators operate successfully.

The decimation of Boards continues.

I rarely post and certainly don't bother to engage in any Feedback threads. I'll do so now.

Balanced moderation requires the person to leave their personal views and leanings out of the work. You are not the arbiter of good taste or morality. Your role is merely to attempt to keep the peace and prevent 'playing of the man'. The don't be a dick rule is really what you need to keep in mind and it is two way.

Jumping straight in with thread closures and warnings when you've only been a mod a wet week seems very... I don't know....there seems to be a lack of reasonableness and measure. It's reactionary. After Hours has always needed a fair and steady hand. Thankfully there are a few there who do seem to fit that bill.

Fully agree. Admin must have thought he is suitable. He did admit his errors. I'll give him that.

It is After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

That's not the point and you know it. Even admins and mods have to follow rules. I want to know if procedures have changed before closing threads? If not then the mod in question should ask before doing so if they don't understand the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

fair play to the mod in question for being open about this and changing but the fact remains that mods in general are overstepping their position on this issue. a mod is only there to police the rules and their opinion on the topic is irrelivent and should play no part in their modding. i have seen it loads of times where threads have been lock for similar BS reasons that have nothing to do with the rules. if people want a conversation on a topic then that should happen once the rules are met. mods should have no say in what topics are about. especially reasons like the thread was going nowhere or is boring etc. if people want a thread on someone cutting the lawn in febuary then leave them to it.

you would think that boards is flooded with threads that mods are trying to reduce numbers to keep it managable and not the way it is with rapidly falling thread and poster nos . mods should be pushing for more threads not reducing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Let the op lawnmower man have his rant in After Hours, sometimes an annoyance is good craic and can make a thread come alive...

Its literally shite talk but good craic to many and a very post heavy thread.

Dont dictate what you deam is right or wrong as a thread when no rules are broken. Let them live or die naturally.

• Advertisement

Yes read the AH charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I was of the same opinion but? Then I noticed that the time between locking the Wokeism thread and locking the Update the charter thread was all of 2 minutes.

I would be curious to know if locking the Wokeism thread was a mod team decision? And by that I don't mean the mods all support Ramona Lively Pension's action. Rather that, advice was sought and a group decision made.

• The wokeism thread had been receiving reports left right and centre that’s why it’s temporarily closed for a proper look over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

To be fair I was the OP of the charter thread and I requested it to close.

The mod took time to review and instead of doubling down, held up their hands and said fair enough.

There doesn't seem to be a rule change being filtered down "from above" so charter doesn't need to be updated. The whole "doesn't have merit" got up my nose, but I think the mod is taking a step back and re-evaluating their decisions ,which is all any of us can ask to be fair.

The issue was resolved and I didn't want the thread to descend into axe grinding or mod bashing especially when they held their hand up.

I also didn't want the mod to feel they "couldn't" close the thread either. Another poster also asked for the thread to close.

As for the woke thread , can't speak for that.

I bet I could tell you who's been reporting all the posts.

It is a lighthearted thread and there isn't any "bashing" of any demographic. Sure, there's laughing at overly PC nonsense, but that's about it. That gets the perpetually offended pearls clutchers reaching for the report button, but the only eyebrow raising comment I can see is a mod calling John Cleese a "gammon".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I took Ramona Lively Pension's "has merit" comment to mean "does it meet the 'craic' rule", but it certainly seems to have been taken up as a personal insult by many.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Who could have predicted that having super woke mods on AH would cause issues ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Well craic is fairly subjective.

If a thread is active and non controversial I would say leave it alone.

It may not be a topic that you or I would find interesting or great craic,but to the posters posting in the thread they obviously do.

The good news for us , we can click into the thread say meh and go about our day. We're under no obligation to read threads from start to finish. We're not mods.

Even a thread filled with nonsense between two or three posters has worth, even if it's only to keep those posters distracted and away from decent threads 😂🤣🤣

• Advertisement

• Like I said I haven’t had time yet to properly read it but I will say the glance I took was not terribly lighthearted. But it’s not fair to assess an entire thread on a glance either

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement