Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the point?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Personally, I feel that is a very political thread which does not sit well where it currently is.

Last time I looked a few weeks back there was heavy political discussions about Nichola Sturgeon and rapists becoming trans people and wanting to go in womens prisons.

Hardly what could be deemed "having the craic" or funny whatever way you want to look at it. Yesterday there are complaints that black people are over represented in ads and on the TV.

I also did see the gammon comment as well. Same thing. A thread referencing politics, sex and religion is never going to be lighthearted.

The new Mods need to be able to find their own way and apply balance as someone else said.

They do need to know what the scope of the forum is to be able to be allowed Mod successfully. If the charter is lighthearted, then they know what they are working with and what is out of scope of the Forum and belongs elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,346 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

But it is lighthearted. It’s a thread where people post something that they consider ridiculously woke, and while most posts receive a few comments the conversation usually moves to the next topic fairly quickly.

It’s a real pity that some people in this forum have to take everything so deadly serious.

There is nothing lighthearted about the topic of trans women in womens prisons. Judging from the responses in the thread itself, some people take the topic deadly serious. So maybe you should have commented at that point about them taking it too serious if thats how you felt about it.

It is a heavy political topic and there will be some extreme views.

Trying to pigeonhole the topic of trans women and rapists into a forum for discussing "nonsense" and "fun" as being anyway lighthearted is a big stretch.

There are warnings all over the place in that thread for people using it with hidden Agendas. I dont blame the mod for reviewing it, if its something that looks like its coming under their remit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It's not fair that a trigger happy new mod takes it upon themselves to decide what is and isn't lighthearted or worthy of being a thread topic.

Not all threads will be to everyone's taste, it's very easy to avoid ones we don't like. Adults shouldn't need someone to make these decisions for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'd happily lay a few quid that I would guess the same person.

So it was a solo call on your part? Or are was that question missed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It's not so much closing the thread, it's the nature of it. Waffle re: their not being infallible and making mistakes.

Well rectifying a mistake isn't reopening a thread. It's learning from it. Seeking guidance from more experienced mods, learning what is a genuine report and what is spam and applying judgement.

It's not closing a thread where you acknowledge an error and simultaneously closing another long running thread.

Traffic is down, I would hate to think what ad revenues have looked like over the last while. Inconsistent modding has a great deal to do with that. From non-existent post Vanilla switch, through to Beasty being the main active mod, through to the current newly recruited crop.

Mods need to find their feet. 100% agree. That footing doesn't nor should it come at the cost of established mores without a change of charter or directive from the top.

A reported post isn't always a transgression, tone, context and sometimes even author matters.

Dunno, looks like people want to have their cake and eat it.

Complaints because Mod is shutting down nonsense threads because that is what AH should be for. Then complaints because Mods are reviewing threads if they dont fit the AH paramaters. It is not a taste thing, it is establishing the ground rules and applying them. People need to know what they are working with.

Personally, I think its great to see new Mods coming on board.

Might see some people return to Boards if it is a friendlier and more welcoming place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Another suggestion is sanctions for those who abuse the report post function.

It seems some think they need to reach a quota.

There is a dedicated thread where you can discuss this topic in all its seriousness. No need for a whole thread to be closed down because some opinions ruffles some feathers.

• Advertisement

That was an example of one topic that is discussed there which is not lighthearted. There are hundreds of others about sex, politics and religion in the same thread.

I am not saying the whole thread should be closed down, I am saying that it probably does not meet the AH Charter as it stands and might be better somewhere else. That is for the Mods to look at.

Is there not already - people spuriously reporting posts maliciously would be covered under trolling surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

But the opposite is happening which is the reason we are here. It'll end up driving people away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Well Dolanbaker seems to get a free reign by Bag of Chips on the CT forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,424 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Just woke up and am browsing this thread

Looking at this piece from the short thread that was closed as the OP was deemed incoherent in the eyes of the Mod

"So basically woke is taking something that in previous eras was considered just the way it is and then repackaging it as something else and telling people they have been exploited, in my example poor become poverty."

Seems pretty coherent to me as a line of argument.

Whether you agree or not is for another day.

If someone is incontinent, then it's easy to see.

Stating that the OP is incoherent, and then using it as weapon of exclusion, is beginning a journey on a different path, perhaps the same one once well travelled in 1939-45.

Pointless thread with an incoherent OP. 

closed

one definition of incoherent

lacking normal clarity or intelligibility in speech or thought

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

I disagree anewme. I think visible moderation is very off-putting to contributors and potential ones. When I see the bold font and the stern language I just think why? Do they think that will make the posters sit up and behave?

Of course I am in favour of light touch moderation so I'm going to have a different view to yourself. I understand that there can be a sort of comfort in knowing there are people who are overseeing things, a presence of control and keeping the place in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Right off the bat for what you’re claiming is a light-hearted thread that has the perpetually offended pearl clutchers reaching for the report post button, you’re claiming you can tell who they are. I’ve no interest in that bet but one thing I do know is that there are more readers of any thread than there are contributors. You couldn’t actually tell who’s reporting all the posts. If you’re referring to other posters as pearl clutchers while raising an eyebrow at the idea of John Cleese being called gammon, you’re a long ways away from light-hearted.

With regards to AH as a whole, I’d take quality over quantity every day of the week, so I can understand why mods will close down threads that they don’t feel are adding anything of any value to the forum they moderate. It’s part of what they’re supposed to be doing beyond just cleaning up crap in the background and only being visible to hand out warnings, etc.

It’s much better for a forum when mods are taking an active interest in the forum and contributing to discussions, and it shouldn’t be held over their heads that they’re a mod, while at the same time telling them they’re only a mod on an internet forum and not to let it go to their head. The idea that their moderating decisions shouldn’t be influenced by their personal biases and views is patently absurd. It’s why a forum like AH needs a good mix of active mods as posters, precisely because it’s been seen in the past that the forums overall tone in terms of its quality and content and whether or not it’s welcoming to new participants is driven by the impression people have of the forum.

I'd be fairly confident I could identify posters who regularly report posts in that thread.

I didn't say that I personally raised an eyebrow at the gammon comment, I merely said it was the only one I could see that possibly could and that was posted by Cmod.

You might think that mods should decide which threads and topics have value, I don't, and I didn't mention personal bias so I'm not sure why you're including that in your reply to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Yes I agree Johnny thread on making a dump is quality.

What difference does it make that you believe you can identify who’s reporting posts? That only looks like you’re trying to make it personal, about what’s supposed to be a lighthearted thread. My point was that anyone who would be raising an eyebrow at the use of the term gammon, while claiming anyone else is a post-reporting pearl clutcher betrays the whole idea of the thread being taken as lighthearted. So what if it was posted by a Cmod? By your own standards they’re only a Cmod on an internet forum.

I wasn’t referring to your post btw when I made the comment about AH as a whole and the idea punted about earlier on in this thread about the purpose of moderation and mods being influenced by their personal biases or views. It’s always been that way in AH, and it’s not any different now than it was then.

• Advertisement

• If invisible moderation is what you are looking for I think boards.ie is the opposite of the site you’re looking to post on tbh

And yet Ramona Lively Pension there are AH mods who seem to leave things be for the most part. They are active participants but rarely do they see the need to warn or ban.

I think some moderators do feel as if the role is a sort of status symbol. If you take Boards to be a community and it's own small village then being a moderator would be similar to being the leader, the Mayor even. Where the role becomes about the individual and what they personally gain from it rather than for the good of the forum.

• I’m very confused by the latter half of your post? I don’t think mods view themselves as leaders of the forums. It’s just our role to keep threads in some sort of order and trolls at the gate.

I’ve made concessions where they were due but I’m not going to do nothing on the chance it’ll upset someone, because as I said, doing nothing or doing something someone will be upset. You won’t please everyone as a moderator.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

The post says you did. If you didn't, I was able to understand it very easily.

• Yes, it will always put that when a threads closed from what I understand.

if a mod edits someone’s post they’ll (usually) make it obvious they made an edit. (Example being a mod snip or adding a mod note).

You’re also showing me an entirely different thread. That I believe to be the aggressive facial features thread. The thread which had an opening post that couldn’t be made sense of was completely separate and the OP themselves expressed disinterest if it was closed or not.

Anyway, this is getting a bit too out of hand at this stage. The fact is since as long as I can remember mods have been “ruining” boards. I’m not going to keep going back and forth about it.

Thanks again everyone for the feedback, positive or not it’s been taken on board, genuinely. I’m going to leave it there as I’m sort of just going in circles now.

I think some of them do. I think there is a lot of ego and validation of self going on among some mods. They enjoy stepping in and being the one to enforce rules.

• I’d say some posters enjoy breaking the rules and wasting our time more than we enjoy enforcing them. But I can’t (and won’t) speak for anyone but myself.

Again, I didn't say I personally raised an eyebrow. Believe it or not, some of us don't get offended so easily.

I think the raised eyebrows were because of the obvious double standard and hypocrisy that sometimes shows its face on this forum. I didn't see anyone who was offended but might have missed a nuance.

• Advertisement

I do believe it, that’s why I didn’t intend for you to take it personally when I was using your example of referring to John Cleese as gammon and post-reporting pearl clutchers. You weren’t offended by it, I wasn’t offended by it, because I don’t imagine either of us took it seriously enough to be offended by it, but obviously some people were offended by it enough to take issue with it. That’s also why I said you can’t possibly know or even have any idea who’s reporting all the posts - plenty of people reading the threads who aren’t bothered to engage in the discussion, choose to report the post instead. That’s why I don’t know what your point was in saying you bet you know who’s reporting all the posts, what difference would it make if you did? Who cares?

It’s why I don’t just think the mods should get to decide what threads and topics have value, I know they do, because they can steer a discussion or close down a thread or maintain that a topic is off-limits or whatever. That’s part of their role as a mod, and that’s why they’ll often say reported posts are useful and whatever, because they don’t have time to go through every thread where things have gotten out of hand. If you don’t think mods are supposed to decide what threads and topics have value, then what’s their purpose? And who do you imagine should get to decide what threads and topics have value that would put a stop to this nonsense of running to the Feedback forum when posters disagree with the way a forum is being run? If it’s the posters who should get to decide, then the forum only reflects the views of those posters, which isn’t bringing anything new to the forum, meaning it just stagnates and is only used by the few who are left to agree among themselves and validate each other’s points of view.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement