Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The fella that thought he was from the real capital. Chris O’Leary is hurling well and not even first half gone. And as I type Antrim chipping away on scoreboard.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭JRant

We must still be doing some heavy training because we were out on our feet the last 10 minutes again today.

I'm hoping it's just that because if we go into the championship playing like this we won't be playing past late April early May again.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Jayus the Antrim lads made Dublin work for that. Good job final whistle came when it did.

Yeah you could be right that is two games Dublin faded in.

Analyst on TG4 (Aoife) said Dublin need to try and reach Wexford’s level. I was only thinking that meself earlier on today. Waterford/Wexford type level consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

What is Wexford/Waterford level consistency?

• Advertisement

Next up for Dublin is a double header at Croke Park. Hurlers v Tipp and footballers v Clare.

A level up to where Dublin are at the moment I meant. And expecting to beat Wexford - Waterford etc.

I would be looking for Dublin to be consistently ‘best of the rest’ just below the big guns of hurling eventually. Should be well capable of by about a decade.

I hope that's what it is. We played some good stuff at times but back to barely threatening the goal again today. Antrim could have had another 2 goals there today only for some unreal saves.

I'd take any level of consistency at this stage. We haven't had it in years unfortunately.

I don't think Wexford are a level above Dublin. I would say when we meet in the Championship it will be 50/50. No more no less. Like it is every year really.

We usually give Waterford as good as we get in the league and haven't played them in Championship in recent years because they have consistently failed to get out of Munster since new round robin format.

Well judging by the Wexford posters for instance. They normally assume they would be beating Dublin when it matters. That is what I mean Dublin need to reverse that.

‘Giving as good as you got’, but losing is not much use, unless a team pushes on and improves IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I think it's more to do with the changes made in the game to be honest. The likes of Gray, Mellett, Conor and Donal Burke were still running at the end. No bother. The subs offered nothing though and the confusion around who was playing where was obvious. Same as last week. Not to criticise though, it'll take time to add that clarity with the number of faces and a new management team.

I would be the same as those Wexford posters i expect Dublin to beat them when it matters every year. What have Wexford done that would make us think they're a level above us? We've both won one Leinster championship in last decade or so i think. We've won a league Div 1 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Just in from the game only really a casual watcher but we offered zero goal threat the Antrim keeper had nothing to do apart from puck outs our keeper had a bit to do on the other side .Thought we would kick on especially as we got some good points but instead ended up hanging on a bit .

How long ago was that last Dublin win though? Pushing 12 plus years now. The last few times in my mind Wexford gave Dublin a lesson. Unless I am imaging it?

Draw in the league few years back last minute penalty was a highlight v Wexford in Parnell.

Yes they beat us well that time. That can happen to any team. Plenty of tight games from what i remember.

Wexford got a bounce when Davy came in like we got a bounce with Dalo. Both counties could/should have won All Ire semi finals in 2013 and 2019.

In my opinion we have nothing to looking up to Wexford for. Respect them like all counties but i don't think Wexford are a level above us

Even If you look into underage last decade approx

Dublin 4 Leinster Minor to Wexford 1

Dublin 4 U21/20 to Wexford 3

Dublin All Ire club champions 2 to Wexford 0

When we meet this year in the round robin it is 50/50 for me. It's on the day.

We look right at home in Div 2. All credit to Dessie. Special mention to this ref. Two of the softest reds you'll ever see and ruining this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

Yes it's early in the season and there's players to come back or are beginning to come back but Dublin haven't looked great in any game so far the context of Division 2 makes it more worrying. The Derry game will be telling...

Its not all doom and gloom lads. Jacks back with a bang!

Not a great performance overall to be fair. So open at the back should have conceded 3 goals in first half alone.

Costelloe was useless. Scully just going through the motions. Kilkenny poor. Con anonymous. Basquel sending that 76th minute easy chance wide sums up his Dublin career and so nearly cost us the game.

Midfield partner for Fenton an issue.

Positives are we welcome back Jack and James. Jack looked good. And i think this is a good Cork team who will cause any team problems this year (even if they did lose to Meath). We won. We come home with the points. Lots of work to do though i was not impressed with that at all.

Good spread of scores from the Dubs as well. Another positive a load chipped in.

Just as an overall pity Dublin v Cork not played in PUC more often. Imagine what it would be like at a packed championship game.

• Advertisement

Yes good spread of scores. The highlight was seeing the Clontarf rocket slipping into turbo speed and leaving a few Cork men in his wake. Didn't think i'd ever see that again. Some player.

Way too close at the end last few mins very poor and a terrible miss from Basquel who is club level standard how he is getting so many chances is beyond me . Great to Jack back and looking good plus Jamsie getting on .We seemed so open at the back far too much space for Cork to run at us lucky they missed so many . The big thing was the win though keeps us on course for maybe for the points needed for promotion.

Yeah, and there I was thinking Jack would look leggy. That was proved wrong in a ‘flash’.

Dessie has an interesting decision now. Does he start Jack or is he more effective as super sub?

He might just use him as a sub v Clare who we should beat but it really does look like as much as the same team as last year when Champo comes round hard to really pick a new lad that looks a sure starter after several have being getting numerous chances. The goalkeeping spot might be open but think we will be weaker if any of the others start .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Cork don't turn out in large numbers for the footballers.

You're right they don't usually unless the team is going well and they play Kerry in Munster. I remember they had huge crowds in the 80s and 90s under Billy Morgan for Munster finals and always a see of red for the All Ire finals v Meath and Mayo.

If Cork somehow were drawn in a qualifier v Dublin and we had to go down there i'd say Dublin fans would make the pilgrimage to Leeside and we could take 10,000+ and i'm sure a lot more Cork than today would turn up for a championship match between tthe two.

Fair point, but the Hill on tour would love a championship spin down there. Would get similar crowd to CP but that feels soulless unless 60k plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Didn't catch the game, have only seem clips on social media but from a GAA fan point of view, it's just brilliant to see Jack Mac back. We need players like him playing the game we loved.

From the few videos I've seen, he hasn't lost the pace anyway and seemed to be enjoying himself.

We started very slowly today in the first half and gave up some big chances. There was a decent spell after that where we went through the gears a little and played some good football but it was short lived. Very scrappy performance but that ref was a liability today. Wasn't allowing any sort of tackling and was handing out cards like they were going out of fashion. For a game where there wasn't a bad tackle all game he somehow managed to book every second player and dish out two reds.

We closed out the game today which is something we haven't necessarily been doing well this past year or so but it was another typical Dessie game in many respects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Freebie going for the Hill on Saturday - PM me if interested.

EDIT: Gone

Post edited by Collie D on

Advertisement