Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thanks for posting the article, it certainly bears discussion.

I think it was always bound to happen, in some form. The grown ups were eventually going to have to stand up and try and wrangle control of the mess.

It could well come to pass that a Unity Government might be needed when things get bad enough, but I suppose Labour's first preference would be Tory destruction.

Isn't it interesting though that rather than the CBI being present, its individual interests like Goldmans and Glaxo.

The arch Brexiteers will absolutely loose their shyt at that. It sounds like a mini Davos.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,074 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

There will be no unity government anytime soon but I could see the UK benefiting from a cross party multi term agreement on how to proceed with Brexit. Won't happen though as the Tories can't be reasoned with or trusted.

On that meeting the word "former" is used a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

The Daily Mail are apoplectic this morning 

Isn't that the Daily Mail's default setting?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,756 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It makes sense for both parties to agree some sort of basic framework for a future relationship with the EU. Otherwise, we just end up as some sort of ping-pong ball oscillating between close and loose alignment as political circumstances dictate. I haven't read the article yet though.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I imagine the business representatives were saying 'reverse the whole damn thing, do it now before we end up back in the 18th Century.'

Quite apart from the fact that its not for Britain to say what its level of alignment with the EU will be. On an agreement level at any rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

Quite apart from the fact that its not for Britain to say what its level of alignment with the EU will be. On an agreement level at any rate.

GB better get use to the idea of either a full 100% EU membership or the present WA+TCA with a few smaller mitigations e.g. SPS.

Having a large 'half member UK' (SM+CU) is very much not in the interest of many (most?) EU members.

(NIP is somewhat different, but only a little)

Lars 😀

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,756 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I disagree.

SM & CU suits the EU27 perfectly. The UK must comply with all regulations while being unable to interfere with EU business or dump the likes of Anne Widdecombe on the EU Parliament. Might not be politically feasible on this end but that doesn't make it a bad idea. They wouldn't be a member so even if they do threaten to leave, negotiations would be more straightforward. It also puts the NI protocol issue the UK manufactured to bed.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

From 2019 - Farmers will get almost £3 billion guaranteed funding next year to replace the EU payments that will be lost after Brexit, Sajid Javid has pledged.

farmers received less than 0.5% of post-Brexit money last year "the Rural Payments Agency shows that a total of £10,692,415 was paid out under the sustainable farming incentive scheme in the 2022 calendar year. This is out of a budget of £2.4bn, meaning only 0.44% was spent on the new schemes."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I thought the Brexiteers wanted precisely that - that the UK would return to the 18th century when they ruled the world.

It has turned out a bit like that but not quite what they had intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The extraordinary thing is that none of the issues that are now arising were every properly debated in the run up to the referendum.

The Eurosceptic cranks on the fringes of UK politics should never have been listened to by anyone. I guess the failed / corrupt English right wing media was a big factor in all this....in any normal country, the Leave supporting cranks would have been challenged on their views and called out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

in any normal country, the Leave supporting cranks would have been challenged on their views and called out.

In any normal country, you would not get a simple binary referendum on something so important economically, culturally and socially yet bizarrely was not defined in any meaningful way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It was perfectly well defined. The told everyone that "Brexit means Brexit". Textbook explanation and definition of what was to come. That is still the definition if you ask them what it means today.

Oh, that and "taking back control".

"Ride me sideways was another one Fr."

The whole idea of an official leave and remain is also stupid and both sides are allowed say whatever once in. Clearly a system born out of the Oxford debating societies.

A lot of the Leave stuff was called out. The issue was that the BBC was obsessed with "balance" so each side got equal time in debates. The end result was that you'd have a carefully worked out economic model vs "talking Britain down". Reminds me of Dara O'Briain's joke about the astronomer and Barry who was of the opinion that the sky is a carpet put there by God.

Peter Hennessy's "Good Chap theory of government". You don't need checks and balances if everyone involved is somewhat ethical. 2016 sure gutted that theory.

Daire had a similar one where astrologers wanted balance by appearing on Stargazing.

BBC didn't want balance they wanted clickbait which is why trolls like Farage kept getting in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There's also the simple rationale that Remain involved lots of complicated - and unavoidably boring - logic explaining the damage to economy. It was complex by design. Leave tapped into the simplicity of pure emotion and optimistic (naive) jingoism; a strata of British exceptionalism that was always there, always disgruntled empire was lost and power shared between a bunch of greasy Europeans. Vote Leave, take your country back. Easy. It all skewered older and tragically - they vote more.

Look no further than all those expats voting leave from their retirement villas in Spain, the utterly appalled when the local authorities turfed them out. Ungrateful Spaniards!

It's the same with climate change: David Mitchell made the same argument years back; no matter how my much we try, saving the planet involves boring, tedious work and logistics. The deniers can just call on emotion and scaremongering over liberals banning your beemer and burgers to halt real change, and it has worked.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I disagree.

SM & CU suits the EU27 perfectly. The UK must comply with all regulations while being unable to interfere with EU business ...

It does not necessarily suit all 27 members. In fact it doesn't. Where I am some professional EU watchers believe the EU will not even begin any new major negotiations with the UK anytime soon. 

The EU has increased or created many new important areas which are being EU regulated e.g. digital, climate, anti tax evasion and minimum taxation (later beyond the US/G7 rules). Much is not formally part of the SM but nevertheless closely related.

It is vitally important to keep EU members and especially larger and new members entangled in all of the EU.  

When the EU again accepts new members growing to 30+ members, it is important that all behave well and are treated as equals. The UK is not nor should it be an exception here. 

The core is, however, that any substantially closer UK-EU relation than the current WA+TCA will require legal or de facto unanimity in the EU Council. I don't believe there will be support from all 27 members for anything but a full plain vanilla EU membership. Even that may not be easy to obtain unanimity support for.

Why should the EU in any way risk more trouble for itself and its members just to please England and its delusional Brexit voters?

It also puts the NI protocol issue the UK manufactured to bed.

True! But the NIP is not an important problem for NI business or for NI->GB trade - if a problem at all. For many the NIP gives new business opportunities. 

The NIP problem seems more caused by unionist being unable to accept, they are no longer a political majority. They may be just a small minority within 10-15 years.  

Such political and emotional problems can't be solved with new or changed trade rules.

Lars 😀

I'm not understanding your point. SM & CU entail full compliance with all EU laws as well as paying into the budget. There's no indication that all EU27 countries would welcome the UK back so this would be a perfect route were it not for political complications this end. There are no negotiations. It's a clearly defined status that one takes or leaves once it's on offer. That's it. The TCA had to be negotiated, this does not.

There's no trouble involved. That's the point. I'm not sure what the premise of your question is based on.

As for the NI protocol, it offers no opportunities for NI. Not a single one. It's a damage limitation step and nothing else. It allows access to the single market for goods and places the customs border in the Irish sea. NI was better off in the EU but we are where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,427 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I think you are talking about SM/CU full membership, and reslfj is taking about the 'negotiated access' that other countries have.

• Advertisement

The UK can't join the SM & CU with full approval from the EU Council being that with consensus or a formal unanimity vote - both needs 27 votes.

It will require EU-UK negotiations or call it EU dictating the rules. There is an absolute need for automatically including all trade related EU rules into UK law, which the UK must ensure to the satisfaction of the EU. (Stortinget (parliament) in Norway includes on average more than on new EU law into Norwegian law for every parliament working day).

But it is only trade rules (35-50% of EU rules) that Norway has to include in law. Many new areas are, however, outside but closely related to trade. As I wrote above e.g. rules for getting, saving and administrating digital data without which you can't allow online trade.

The CH deal is a nightmare of maintenance and will never be repeated by the EU. The EEA covers two small Nordic countries, both of which are known to always do as agreed. The UK lately not so much.

The NIP is damage limitation, but much better for NI than a full Brexit (TCA) would have been. Not only for the all island economy but for trade with all of the EU. It clearly do not match a full EU membership, but given the option of getting an Irish passports and the work rights included in the CTA etc it is close to people-FoM for people on/from the island of Ireland.

Lars 😀

There is no EU-path to a SM+CU membership. The EEA path requires the EU's approval in Council.

The path to a full EU membership is described starting with the TEU/Lisbon Article 49. EEA membership is controlled by the EU Council with 'consensus', which, I guess, is less formal, but in reality isn't much different from the unanimity vote required in A49.

Lars 😀

There is no such thing as 'access' to the SM other than what already is in the TCA (maybe with a few smaller mitigations).

The SM requires membership. All standards, rules and regulations must always be upheld on each members own sovereign territories.

The whole idea in the SM is having the same identical (minimum) standards all over the SM.

Lars 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

If Cameron wanted to stage a cynical PR stunt / sham of an advisory referendum, he should have held one on an EU Treaty. That way, even if it had gone against him, the fallout could have been handled relatively easily. To hold an advisory referendum on the UK's EU membership and the 50 year status quo was insane. Once voted for, the forces of the English right were never going to back down or compromise.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There's always the Turkish deal.

It covers all industrial goods, but does not address agriculture (except for processed agricultural products), services or public procurement. Bilateral trade concessions apply to agricultural, coal and steel products.

Delays at customs to check for agricultural products. But the UK has cut farm subsidies from previous EU levels so they won't exactly be swamping the EU with food.

And the Chumocracy keeps control of services and public procurement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

The CU Turkish deal looks good as a solution-starter on paper…but it is ill-suited to the UK economy, which is services-heavy.

Besides easing the HGV queues on the M20, which are spectacular but hardly the nexus of Brexit-related losses for UK plc, that Turkish deal would do absolutely nothing towards mitigating the 100% NTBs which the UK set back up against exporting its financial and legal services (amongst others).

Saying that, looking at the growing investment differential between the UK and its EU competition, the Turkish deal may acquire gradual relevance as UK plc slides down the rate of development.

That's a fair point. Ideally, the UK would rejoin but we're far off that. I think that the SM & CU is the next best thing.

Just twigged that. Ta.

The auld Brexits failings are the fault of the unbelievers, EU and pesky remainers is getting trotted out again in response to the secret summit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

The trouble with that aim is that the rest of the world has to sign up for the same outcome in order for it to work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

But the Brexiteers plan was that once the world realised how exceptional the Brits were in the 18th century, and how exceptional they will be again, they will leave them at it.

The only problem with that is that thinking is exceptionally stupid.

Advertisement