Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 BORO BILL

Tipp by far better team but Kilkenny selection didn’t help them. Thought Blanchfield and Donnelly were outstanding when they came on. Midfield and half back line got wiped out. Billy Ryan got on a lot of ball but did little with it, Wally was very poor and Shane Walsh tried hard but not sure about him physically at this level

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Rosita

They looked fairly subdued for a team after winning an All Ireland.

I'm happy to give Lyng and the lads the league to work on things so not troubled by the result. Come the Championship though, expectations will be increased big time.

The major concern I have is when TJ is gone - retired. Even if he doesn't play every game, he's still good enough to turn up and carry us through a big game.

Over the decades we've always had a talisman, that one player that would put us on his back and carry us through difficult games.

I don't see where that person is coming from when TJ hangs them up.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

How would saying tipp were poor be an excuse for losing ffs?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭forchange

Darren Mullen gone of panel

mason

joe cuddihy

Darren Mullen

left of panel last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Exceptional me bollocks. Both teams kept turning into the middle off the short puck out against the wind instead of turning wide. The difference was Kilkennys second pass was always so bad it opened us up for the turnover and they punished us whereas we didn't punish them enough. They were much the better team, could've been 20 up at HT with the wides they hit and its early days with Cahill so they'll only get better but they were far from exceptional and I think most Tipp people would agree with that.

Thoughts on KK

Short puck outs were obviously bad but was very disappointed with Tallis long puck outs. Weren't crossing the far 65 in the first half and no pace behind them in the 2nd. Some good saves but striking was poor.

Heary not a corner back any day of the week.

Buckley was bad but Pádraig was awful. The worst culprit in the first half for trying to run the ball through the middle. Any time we went wide we actually got the ball moving up the field but trying to work it through the middle was a total shambles.

Blanchfield made a massive difference when he came on.

Doyle looked like an 18 year old out there. Totally lost and ultimately unfair to have him out there. If he was there on merit from training whoever he was marking should be gone.

Butchered 3 goal chances with lads going high instead of along the ground.

Drennan looks the part if he can be fed more regularly.

Don't see it with Shane Walsh at all myself.

Wally was bad. Really bad.

Lack of communication around the middle at times was really bad. Numerous Tipp puck outs with a Tipp lad sitting in the middle of the field on his own and at one stage Noel McGrath got a point when he was in, no exaggeration, 40 yards of space.

It's only February so no need to panic but Blanchfield has to start every time. Can't understand why he didn't start today.

Hope you are right remember tipp in same boat they lost 2 players early

more worrying looking at Dublin making easy work of Antrim and the job we had last week

unfortunately not looking good for Mullen

Tj struggling with injury

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Neewollah

Blanchfield hadn't set the world alight in Walsh Cup and against antrim. Made a few basic mistakes so wasn't surprised to see him dropped but I still think he's our long term wing back, midfielder and needs to be stuck with.

When is that when we play Wexford

Thats gone beyond us the last few years

To defend Cody’s management of kilkenny for the last 7 years you would have to be a village man which probably showed the bitterness towards Michail Walsh I wish my club would have someone that could bring us the success he has brought them

if I picking manager it would be Eddie Brennan if he improved kilkenny as much as he improved Laois as a team we be at top table

I am not related to Micky Walsh I from

Mullinavat thought my early posts would have giving that away

it not worry me if I was he seemed to handle his success with great modesty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭blackcard

He was playing Fitzgibbon Thursday evening, maybe why he didn't start. Thought he hit a brilliant pass for Donnelly goal chance and did well in general. Drennan had some nice touches. I was dissapointed with the distribution of Tallis today and the half backs were very poor in the first half. I would like to see Heary given a go at wing back. Midfield is still a problem. Cian Kenny normally has a good touch but was off today, don't think Deegan is the answer. Disappointing but early days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭kksaints

Did improve somewhat in the 2nd half but poor overall and there's definitely a lot of work to be done. Both our own puckouts and the opposition puckouts are issues. We don't win enough of our own puckouts when we hit it long but a big concern was how easy it was for Tipp to pick out a free man from their own puckouts when they hit it long. At least 4 or 5 times there was a player in at least 10 yards of space to get clean ball. This punished us badly in last years All-Ireland and did so again today. The awareness of some of our players is questionable whether it's the aforementioned letting players run into space to get a clean puckout or the choice of passes that they play when in possession. That's been an issue for a few years now but it was very obvious at times and it cost us scores both defensive and when attacking.

I don't see how Buckley stayed on for the full match today. He was toxic both in and out of possession. He's been great for us but he clearly shouldn't be starting and probably shouldn't be in the panel. Same could be said for Padraig and Wally Walsh but I do think they can offer something off the bench when needed. Thought some of the subs were weird today and must have been either injury or Fitzgibbon cup related. Alan Murphy coming off not that long after coming on was very unusual. Tallis needs to work on his passing, near enough to 1-3 came from him underhitting passes. Billy Ryan was very frustrating today. Excellent movement to get space for himself but his passing and shooting was woeful. Still think he's a better full forward than half forward.

On the positive side John Donnelly had a very good game when he came on with some fine points. Billy Drennan after a shaky start grew into the game nicely and hit some excellent scores. Blanchfield did great when he came on in winning possession, can be a bit brain dead with the ball but he's still inexperienced and should improve in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Powerhouse1

Apartently Dean Mason was dropped off the panel because of his Club Form was not good enough?? Well the 3 GKs on the panel don't play that position with their clubs. Very lazy excuse to give to Dean Mason from Lyng in my opinion, his form won him a Club All-Ireland only a few weeks ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

What's the time scale of Adrian mullens injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Was Mikey Butler cleaned out aswell? I can tell ye one thing , Jason Ford won't be getting 1-7 or 1-8 against Limerick. He's a fine ' fair weather ' player who Limerick put in their pocket year in and year out. I ll have to watch the match later but I felt myself that Padraig Walsh was finished last season and Wally papered over alot of cracks with that substitute All Ireland Cameo .

The Ballyhale fellas will make a huge difference .

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Forde got 0-11 the last time he played against Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,636 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Can you imagine how much he would score if he wasn't in Limerick's pockets...........

he was not even sub in club all Ireland

I think that tells it own story if it is a bad hamstring it’s 3 months before you do anything

hopefully not

Alan Murphy was taken off because he couldn't move. Got cleaned in the air by Michael Breen when flicking the ball down to Mossy for the goal.

Butler was grand before he went off injured. Fordes scores came from frees and Heary being 10 yards off him and the goal was Padraigs fault.

Butler and Lawlor were probably the only 2 backs that shouldn't have been taken off at half time.

You go back to under 20 problem between lyng and mason

it makes no hurling sense his performance for shamrocks have being out standing

people criticised Murphy puck outs

Today was as bad puck outs are a team effort even do today goalkeeper deliveries poor shot stopping good never as good as Murphy

• Advertisement

He destroyed butler what Limerick got to do with its not his first time to destroy use

last post before championship

unless kilkenny start again for rest of league

and try out young players in there positions

we have 7/8 players hanging around gave great service to kilkenny but there day is gone

if you can’t see that after today you are living in a different hurling world

I said about management team that I worried about there lack of experience at all levels

I think that came through today

playing heary at coner back what a half back saw in last year championships when O’Loughlin’s not great but he was

playing a 18 year old in midfield that showed no form to this leval but comes from managers club is this Cody and village all over again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

4 as it happens. But look if you want to deflect away from Kilkennys shortcomings that’s your own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Forde got seven from play, you spoofer. Immense second-half turnaround sees Limerick deny Tipperary in Munster final (echolive.ie)

Nobody ever put Forde in their pocket. He might have an odd bad game but nobody puts him in their pocket. He's too big for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Clare actually but claims limerick on occasion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Apparently, he's from Clare and Limerick. And neither thread wants him.

Apologies to KK fans. He’s from Clare and Limerick??

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭The_Tank

The final point from Tipp was an underlining of where Kilkenny were today. A run up the wing from the Tipp no 4 - 3 Kilkenny players following and Blanchfield leaves the middle to leave a Bowe free when there is no danger - Kehoe sets out on a run back out from corner forward while Corcoran walks after him - only realising the danger too late when Kehoe cuts across to receive the offload from Bowe. That is modern attacking and requires concentration and intelligence to implement and to defend - which Kilkenny had none of today.

Btw that's a standard football play - we learned how to swarm from Tyrone but since then we have little natural understanding of the lines of running associated with football - which are now a standard part of hurling.

I hope Lyng uses the next 2 games as an opportunity to give people a chance to play that can actually implement the game he wants - as we've seen that some of the personnel that have been around for a while just don't have the ability to do it. I hope this was the manager giving them a fair chance before moving on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭davidx40

It says a lot about our club standard that Wally, Alan Murphy , Buckley, Fogarty, are still even being considered for the panel ......

Advertisement