Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Yes, but that wasn't his issue with her.

That would have been a normal reaction to a politician doing dodgy stuff

Enoch thinks she is an actual Witch who used sorcery and satanic witchcraft to control society.

👁️ Enoch Watch 👁️

Thursday 9 Feb - Day 12 at Wilsons Hospital School

Friday 10 Feb - Deferred High Court Review

Sunday 12 Feb - Fines x 17 Days @ €700 per day (27 Jan to 12 Feb inclusive) = €11,900

🏳️‍🌈 ⚧️ Donations to "Enough, Enoch" GoFundMe in support of Irish LGBTQ+ charities = €10,080 ⚧️ 🏳️‍🌈

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

The latest on the potential trespass charges

Gardaí have completed a criminal investigation into the alleged trespass by schoolteacher Enoch Burke at Wilson’s Hospital School in Co Westmeath.

The State prosecutor must now decide whether he should face criminal charges. This decision is expected “within weeks”, according to a source.

The Sunday Independent can reveal that gardaí at Westmeath have now sent a file outlining alleged trespass to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).

If he is charged, one of the bail conditions would be to stay away from the school. If he didn't he would immediately land himself in jail as he'd be in breach of his bail conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Tork

--

Post edited by Tork on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

They wouldn't be the first religious types to show contempt for statutory laws.When the jesuits were found to be lying, under oath no less, to a statutory inquiry into clerical abuse They simply said they were entitled to lie, "mental reservation " they called it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

All their friends have been banned from the thread. Of course they're bored. If the anti-trans brigade hadn't been banned, I'm sure we would have seen more of Furze.

Will Burke take the week off for mid term break, or will he keep turning up?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

He might start showing up at the court to stand outside there instead. Since apparently he thinks he is in charge of their schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Tork

His logic (if such a thing exists in his world) is that he's turning up for work and that there are classes he would be teaching if only he was allowed. He won't be showing up for midterm because the school will be closed. It'd be a good week for his father to get the car serviced if it's anywhere near the time. The mileage on that car must be phenomenal

As far as I know he didn't turn up on the February bank holiday Monday, when the school was closed.

I don't expect him to turn up at the school this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Hard to see how you could afford that on a teacher's income?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Teachers wages aren't that bad. They could easily save that given their lifestyles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

2 months rent for a teacher in Dublin. Easy enough if you have no overheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,338 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yeah, buit what about Westnmeath? 2500 is a lot for anyone to be fiar.

What does Josia do? He might have funded it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,361 ✭✭✭✭looksee

On the one hand its almost compulsive reading, on the other hand you could argue that these are unfortunate people who have been brainwashed by their parents into anti-social, bigoted, unlikeable personalities. Are they damaged and unfortunate people who need help, or are they competent and aware in spite of their corrupted beliefs?

Parents have a right to raise their children as they see fit, provided they are not physically or mentally abused. At what stage does teaching them extreme religious beliefs become abuse? Many children, especially in recent decades, were reared in a very religious environment but then formed their own - often non-religious - opinions as they got older. So what and how did the Burke parents teach them to such an overwhelming effect? How could they retain the very high levels of academic intelligence that the family evidently has, while keeping the tight hold over the self righteous, sanctimonious, bigoted attitudes? Education tends to increase the ability to think for oneself and form opinions, but Mama Burke has managed to pass on all her extreme opinions along with the education, and apparently to all of them with no exceptions.

It appears that all of the children are adults at this stage, and none has broken ranks. There is remarkably little information about them beyond their interactions with the law and university authorities. None of them appears to be married, there is no information about what the rest of the siblings do for a living or whether they are living at home. Most appear to have had some sort of irrational, bigoted and/or aggressive interaction with authorities. Their anti-gay stance is apparently the basis for most of their issues, but its the associated behaviour that actually gets them into trouble. If their objections were really religious-based there are lots more biblical teachings they could be shouting about, but they only seem to be hung up on their anti-lgbt agenda.

They are technically adults and as such have to be responsible for their own behaviour, and while Enoch is making an eejit of himself at the moment the others are entitled to their privacy. They seem to have no judgement in their own interests - their shouting and ranting has on several occasions defeated their own objectives - they seem to have created a social experiment of themselves that could go on for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

The culprit-in-chief is their mother, the father is just a cuck to her. All the children were home-schooled by her which has 100% impacted their social cognitive development. They are extremely intelligent but socially redundant.

They were involved in some serious protesting against Mayo University Hospital (in relation to the death of a 17 year old) and its Covid policy/care but didn't mind daddy Burke being cared for in the same place for 2 weeks when himself got Covid.

Their lives may improve when the hag kicks the bucket, but until then we are stuck with them.

They're not just anti-LGBTQ though. They campaigned against Civil Partnership, and against repealing the 8th. Then there was the whole shameful Sally Maaz debacle.

Parents: Martina and Sean. Martina runs a school from their garage, and Sean was an electrician.

Kids: Ammi, Elijah, Enoch, Esther, Isaac, Jemima, Josiah, Keren, Kezia, and Simeon.

As we know, Ammi is a solicitor. Enoch and Esther were/are both teachers. Issac has a PhD in mathematics. Jemima spoofed her way into a NPHET meeting posing as a journalist. Josiah has an MSc in economic history from the London School of Economics. (He'll probably be the one to go into politics!) Kezia has won awards in mathematics and physics, and Simeon has also done law.

That leaves Elijah and Keren. As of 2020 Elijah wanted to study Biomedical Sciences or History with Music at NUI Galway. I presume he is in NUIG now. So that leaves Keren.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It is truly baffling the extent this guy is being tolerated.

Most recently shutting down the business of the high court - Nothing.

I must be missing something here.

Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,513 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Is there a legal reason why he is not in jail? Is he not breaking laws daily now?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Simply, the judge feels that would give him the attention to his cause, which he craves.

He will likely end up back behind bars but its unlikely to be for contempt. He milked the increasing duration of the contempt jail time and the judges will not let him do that again, hence the fines.

He will likely face a jail sentence though and will struggle to gain the same level of publicity for that.

It’s only remains to be seen what he faces time for

• Converting the contempt to a sentence
    • Time in lieu of fine payment
    • The trespass charge

Or something else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yeah...

If he was from a working class or traveller background the court wouldnt have been so lenient the other day.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,169 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Are there any Burke grandchildren?

Are all the 10 children of the same beliefs as their parents or did ant of them rebel?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Karppi

I think this is a really important post. The assertion that lying is not only permissible but also justifiable, apparently because of an entitlement to a makey-uppey invented concept, neatly called “mental reservation” borders, for me anyway, on the justification of a Nazi, “I was only following orders”. FFS, will we ever say, “enough of the bullshit, Fcuk Right Off”

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

We have all seen such people escape prison time for committing assaults and other serious crimes. Burke is a nuisance, certainly, but he has not committed any serious crimes yet. You are forgetting he has already spent several months in prison, which has done little to deter him. There is nothing to suggest it would deter him now so the judge has to be very smart in how they deal with him. He presents an unusual problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I see where another home grown evangelical Christian Christine Gallagher says that Jesus was talking to her a couple of weeks ago and he gave her the go ahead to increase the prices of the religious goods on sale in her house of prayer in Mayo! Is Mayo the Irish version of the bible belt or are there just more loopers living there?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,759 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think that they don't know how to deal with him. Jail gives him oxygen all over the world and gets him the attention he craves and also it hasn't worked before.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Plus it leans into the "He's being jailed for his beliefs!!!!!" narrative they're trying to push. So going through various processes of judicial orders, fines for contempt, increased fines etc means if they eventually do have to jail him, there's a clear process which was followed to the point where he's being jailed for breaching various orders which he could easily have followed but chose not to, and that jailing him was a last resort based on his own refusal to comply and engage with all previous orders/fines etc.

Many of his followers will likely still push the "He's being jailed for his beliefs because that was the first incident in the whole thing" argument, but it's an argument which becomes easily defeated, and even the media would likely be more considered in their phrasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

As long as he fails to purge his contempt, the fines should be allowed to rack up and even increased if possibe.

Then, legal action could be taken to garnish any future earnings he may have, direct from the bank?

Post edited by ZeroThreat on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Caquas

When was this?

The Jesuits have paid compensation to some survivors of abuse but I don't recall a finding that they were lying under oath. This would be an important issue - they should be prosecuted for perjury and they could be liable for exemplary damages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Quandary

Advertisement