Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

We had a ZS on order since last feb, cancelled once the price drop was announced. We were close to cancelling anyway, no idea when car might be delivered and I was getting concerned about supply chain challenges for spare parts if needed. We're a one car family so need the car on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭yermanthere

Opinions / advice request guys. If you could only pick one extra, would it be the paint, or the white seats?

Family car.

Anyone with direct experience of either would be a great help. I'd like to pick black, with white interior. Or grey/silver with black interior.

Thanks for any info.

Is it not down to personal preference? I personally don't like the white interior, and Im of the opinion that white paint is the best colour for the shape of the car & to contrast the roof - but that's just me.

The one extra we did pick was a towbar.

Oh I know it's personal, but we test drove a M3 blue, with white interior and it really felt a bit special, compared to others. But concerned how white interior will last. So other equal option is to spend it on paint.

Our other car is white, so that's out. Don't want " fleet colours" ! I know, first world problems.

• Advertisement

Was the towbar to tow/ for protection?

For a bike rack.....protection an added bonus!

I have a white M3P with white interior.

I bought it from inventory and didn’t even realise until I picked it up 🤣

I wouldn’t normally have specified it on a new order but I love it. It brightens up the interior no end.

It looks even better on the black, blue, MSM and red cars because of the contrast.

White is my favourite color for the car so I’d spec black seats on new but if I had to pick one option I’d go black car with white interior. Only downside if black is quite flat where white is a multi coat perl.

Interior is the same as it left the factory. I just make sure I clean it every so often using decent cleaners like GTechniq and rub on coatings. Takes about 15 mins. I have 3 kids, 11,7 and 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Agree with @Gumbo, I have the white interior in my black Model S and it is pure class. Makes the car look and feel more modern and more luxury. The white cleans up well too, so no worries there.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭mun1

MY RWD due for collection 10th March.

MY LR still showing Feb-Mar but no VIN (hidden or otherwise)

playing around with ABRP and my longest typical drive (limerick to Dublin) the RWD will def need a charge on way home (23% battery left would Need to stop at kill or J14 on return ), whereas LR would have 45% battery left and would need a quick stop and dash at bird hill chargers at most.

thinking should i wait for LR or just accept i will need charge on return leg with both cars ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

I will be doing Dublin to Kerry with the MY RWD. My logic in going with RWD is that I will need to stop both ways as no destination charging in Kerry so no real benefit in the LR for avoiding stops. All my other driving is comfortably within RWD range.

My only concern is that there will be queues in Birdhill during Bank Holiday weekends with all the extra Teslas there will be on the road given the massive increase in supply and demand or they open up the SC Network (hoping I am wrong).

Will sell on the MY if we have to queue regularly as wouldn't have any patience for that and go back to PHEVland.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭mun1

Yep, charger network isn’t great and will get worse once EV’s start appearing from this year .

Supercharger stations every 60km are planned along the motorway network but id say it will take until 2024/2025 to see enough of them

Any other options along the route?

You don’t have to stick with tesla SuC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

You normally dont stay for long on a SC, 15-20 mins would be the average so chances of them being blocked alot are minimal, unless they are opened up or you hit at peak time on say a bh weekend.

Thanks Gumbo. Thats true. There probably are other options but by all accounts SuC would be the best option and would be rolling the dice stopping elsewhere. Do this trip regularly enough and when ordering in November was thinking it would be a steady increase in Teslas so didn't foresee this as an issue. When I know time is particularly tight for me or know I will be doing extra driving in Kerry, I might just rent an ICE. Don't have time to be driving around Kerry looking for chargers unfortunately (and Tralee is well out of the way) as we usually have a jam packed schedule when we are there.

The explosion in numbers while great, is problematic in that the limited network (supercharger and others) will likely frustrate owners.

Should be grand unless resale values of Model Ys plummet (not beyond the realms of possibility but I don't think they will)!

Yeah, we will always be hitting them at peak times on that route (and outside of peak times too on other non BH/holiday weekends). It will be up on Donedeal if Birdhill Superchargers are opened up 🤣.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

A lot of new Tesla's hitting the road soon, those SuC not going to be as available as years gone by

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Won't it take more time renting, picking up, refueling and dropping back the ICE than recharging a MY enough to get home?

That is time I have control over though so wouldn't frustrate me or the family. Can easily pick up or drop back on way to/from work. Takes me 5 mins to book. I also enjoy sampling all kinds of cars so always fun to drive something different. As a bonus, will keep the KMs down on the Y to somewhere closer to average.

Will also have to keep practicing using a petrol pump in the same way I occasionally drive a manual car after now owning 4 soon to be 5 automatics 😉.

Absolutely. If Tesla don't respond to meet increased demand (i understand there aren't any plans at the moment), then that advantage will be gone fairly quickly. Realistically, infrastructure is so poor outside the supercharger network that any viable solution developed in that space won't be implemented anytime soon for those reliant on public charging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

There's not enough superchargers in Ireland to open them up to the non-Tesla plebs 😂

Sorry couldn't help myself but the network is one of Teslas USPs. Tesla is obviously well aware of this, that's why they weren't opened up. I'm not against opening up the network myself, but only if there is enough capacity. Like in the Netherlands, where the trial started.

Cork and Dublin will be hit a fair bit, 4 stalls SuC is just too low, Tralee with two not great but likely not high usage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

Last year I rented about 7 cars, all on the continent all quite nice but none nicer drive than my 3LR. Looking to rent a 7 seater here in a few weeks and prices are shocking.

Above is a drive from last summer (thanks to ggl timeline) From Sneem to Dublin. Initially planned a stop at Ballacolla but as everyone was asleep in the car gave it up. Stopped at Kildare Village at herself request. From Cork to Kildare on EAP. According to ggl timeline 322km 3h49min.Charged some while did the shopping in Tesco at the AC there. Didn't really need it but I'm ABC kinda guy.

Thanks for that innrain. Yeah, I would agree that the MY is a more pleasant place to be even in comparison to a decent specced rental. Kildare village is always a popular stop with the family!

The price of 7 seater rentals has always been shocking compared to a standard manual 5 seater. No doubt worse now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

I think "the infrastructure isn't ready" mantra & press coverage is a little overblown. For sure apartment dwellers and house renters might have to use fast chargers on a weekly basis, but I had no home charger for 2 months after getting the car and it's not a big deal to find an ESB or LIDL and plug in for 40 minutes. People using the car for work would have to lean on the motorway chargers, but Ionity is a good, fast service and not too expensive with membership. My nephew used my ID for 2 weeks up and down the west coast (Galway to Donegal) and almost exclusively used the much-lamented ESB rapid chargers. Never had an issue with availability or reliability. I've driven to most corners of Ireland and haven't had an issue (albeit without time pressure and with a lot of planning)

I can't see any scenario where I'm charging at a supercharger in the city I live in. If I was day tripping to Cork and back, then yeah I'd image I'd use the supercharger, but there's also 2 Ionitys on the way home. But I'd also try to plugin to a slow charger near whatever I'm doing in the city.

Tralee, on the other hand, I can see being rammed in the summer as people holidaying or on their way to the Dingle peninsula have no where to fast charge.

I think "the infrastructure isn't ready" mantra & press coverage is a little overblown. 

Have a look at the NW of the country down towards the midlands

It really depends what you mean by overblown. Most things that make it into the media these days tend to be overblown as that is the nature of the beast now. Calm well reasoned debate or reporting is less fashionable than it used to be.

As things get mainstreamed, the general population, unlike the earlier 'innovators' as @unkel rightly refers to them, are far less likely to put up with inconvenience. What strikes me about the innovators is that they tend to be good planners and have sufficient time.

If reports from the UK over Christmas are to be believed, with queues for two hours at Superchargers, and we have similar issues here, that will sour the taste of ownership. Hoping we don't get to that point and I think Tesla would be best placed to put in measures to ensure we don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Have we similar issues here though? I know we consume (and regurgitate) a lot of UK media stories. If you'll only charge at a supercharger, then yes I can see how that's an issue but ESB have a presence pretty much everywhere.

@slave1 it's sparse but not absent. 50KW in almost every town from Mullingar to Sligo. 150KW at Carrick on Shannon. Ditto if you go to Belmullet. The thing to remember about the NW is that the roads aren't 120km/h. The car is much more efficient below 100 so you need less stops. And EV owners in regional towns are much more likely to be home owners with their own charger.

I'll admit I do 90% of my charging at home so may have some happy-path naivety. And I'm not saying it won't get worse, just that it's overstated at the moment. We live on a small island, but consume stories from the US & UK where the distances and speeds are much greater.

@slave1 it's sparse but not absent. 50KW in almost every town from Mullingar to Sligo. 150KW at Carrick on Shannon. Ditto if you go to Belmullet. The thing to remember about the NW is that the roads aren't 120km/h. The car is much more efficient below 100 so you need less stops. And EV owners in regional towns are much more likely to be home owners with their own charger.

Multiple single points of failures or queues is the issue, been EV driving 6 years now, been there done that. The only true way for long trips in Ireland is via Tesla/Ionity multi unit chargers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭TMY

I've signed up to chargeprice. (Link below)

They show chargers nearby and a list of available tariffs. Seems like it'll come in handy for non-Tesla SC charging.

From the list of tariffs, I've signed up for freshmile (€4.99 for a card) and a sub with some French crowd (Abonnement Saint Louis Agglo, €12 per year) to avail of special rates (eg 22c per kwhr on a local ESB charger).

No Model Y yet so haven't tested it works but sure it's worth a punt.

Advertisement