Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Thiago has played quite a bit this season.

24 appearances in all competitions.

Compared to Andy Robertson who has 25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Win the next two games and only 4 behind Newcastle.

Optimistic and foolish am I.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Indeed, we'd be 6 points behind, with a game still in hand over them. Win our next 3, and we'll be 3 points behind with equal games played.

With their EFL final, Newcastle's schedule gets a bit weird. We're their next game, and they don't play another league game until March 4th (against City). Win our games in the meantime and we'd be level with them when that game kicks off.

How so?

We're 12 points behind them, with 2 games in hand - but one of our next 2 games is them. Win our next 2 and we'll have played 22, they'll have played 23, and the gap will be down to 6 points. We play our extra game in hand then, taking it down to 3 points - they won't have played in the meantime as they have Utd in the Cup. We then play again before they play a league game, so we'd be level, with a game more played.

All seems right to me 🤷‍♂️

Where do you see the error?

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Linked with Mason Mount. I don't watch much of him but by all accounts he is decent.

Mount, Bellingham, Rice, Edson Álvarez, Nunez and Moises Caicedo.

Those are the big names that we have been liked with mostly. Mason and Rice are best buds so could be interesting if they decide to sign up together!

I believe the money is there, just need to spend it wisely.

Been thinking about the Mount/Rice thing too... both about to enter the last year of their contracts as well. Rice has some sort of option for an extra year, but I don't know the terms of it. If it's club-triggered only, then it's basically an extra year and will affect his price a lot, but if its player or mutually triggered, then it doesn't mean much in this case.

Be mad to end up with the all English midfield of Rice, Mount, and Bellingham, with Hendo as the elder statesman, and Milner moving into coaching. Reckon it's all far too expensive to ever manage, but the potential contract situations do at least open the possibility of some of those playing out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

This midfield stuff just grows more annoying every week. Joao Gomes made his debut for Wolves today, looked good and energetic, and won the game for them with a nicely taken goal. Another one we were heavily linked with - and who basically publicly begged us to sign him about 2 months ago. Went to Wolves for 15 million in January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Yeah I could understand if we only needed one cm but we literally need at least 3 right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I dunno about Mount, maybe it's doable, he had talent alright buy u find it hard to warm to him tbh. Rice though.... Where can he go really? Is Chelsea full yet - don't think City would go for him for themselves unless to hoard him against someone else using him, would United go for him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Results today couldn’t have gone much better in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Was great to actually watch some other football games this weekend, anyone else lose interest in football after our game on previous weekends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Problem is, we cannot win, or score.

A nil nil on the way Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Haven't checked it out, but, you're probably right in theory anyway, the problem is that in practice we are more likely to lose our next few games than win them, tbh I think we'll do well to win a game before we play Newcastle. I've long since accepted that top 4 (and probably even top 6) is beyond us this season. It would take a monumental turnaround in our form and for 3 or 4 teams above us to collapse for us to even have a chance, unfortunately it's not going to happen. All we have to do is win the CL!

Oh yeah, for sure, I expect none of that to actually happen - was just an exercise in the maths of the situation 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Predictably, the gossip pages are linking Klopp if Ancelotti goes. Can't see that one myself, not Klopp's MO at all

• Advertisement

Ive been supporting them since 1978 and Ive never been looking forward to a derby as little as this one. Goalless draw written all over it.

Thiago out injured ? Is it actually possible to get through one day without reading about an injury ?

It seems not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Thiago out for a month. Another big player out for a big run, just as we thought we might get a few players back fit. Number of injuries this season is crazy.

I'd take a goalless tbh, it's hard to see us keep a clean sheet. I think we should cut our losses with Thiago in the summer, fine player, but, misses far too many matches through injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Cut our losses?

He's been the mainstay of our midfield all season.

He helped get us into the CL twice.

He helped us to two trophies last year.

Second in the league, the CL final.

What more do you want for a 2.5 years stint?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Agreed.

There is some amount of nonsense out of a few ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Thiago is the only decent thing in our senior midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Thiago 'out for 4 weeks' :how many weeks is that really in Liverpool terms, 6 to 8?

We have to be doing something wrong with the fitness/medical side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Is that not his default status? At this stage, I'm only expecting a tweet (that never comes) saying that Calvin Ramsay has picked up a short-term bout of fitness!

In the 2.5 years before he came, we won the league, CL and runners up in both, so, by you argument we've actually regressed since he came, there are other factors of course, but, he's not the great midfielder some on here seem to believe that he is, for a start he misses far too many matches, also tends to drift in and out of matches. As I said he's a fine player, but, in my opinion I think we should to let him go in the summer. Btw it was a squad effort over the last few years not down to any one player.

he is currently our best midfielder, hardly a priority to get rid of,if we weren't depending on him maybe we could limit his time to when needed but we don't have enough depth in midfield

Yes, let's get rid of Thiago, our best CM, when at least 3 are already leaving the club and another 2 or 3 need upgrading on.

He's literally the only one who is actually at the level required.

This is up there with the 'sell all the HG players' in terms of bad takes.

We need to be a lot less reliant on Thiago, but we definitely shouldn't be letting him go. Keita, Ox, Milner, Fabinho all look done as far as starting midfield goes, with at least 3 of those 4 likely to leave. Henderson is going to step back to bit part player. Be mad to also dump Thiago. Would instead be buying 3 new starters, and managing Thiago's time so he's there when we need him.

Incidentally on Hendo, i think he still has the tools to play a major part - but needs two hard runners in midfield with him to work. We saw his importance with England, he's the best man to turn to to keep the intensity up, as long as those he's playing with are actually capable of intensity.

There's definitely 30 mins in Hendo. Milner used to have that role. Come on on 60 and up the levels of those around him again, keeping intensity. Hendo can have that role now.

As you said, he had a good World Cup too, in a somewhat similar role. Maybe a bit deeper and mess reliant on his own legs.

Yup, and on the note of a deeper position - in any of the remaining big games this season Hendo has to be the 6 I think. It can't be Fabinho, and Bajčetić playing 6 against the likes of Real Madrid is maybe a bit too much to ask of a kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

I disagree on Henderson. He is too slow. He had a good world.cup but was guilty of loosing his mid defensive position too often and ending up too far forward. The one that stands out is when he threw a strop on the pitch when he was trying to pressure high but no one else followed. I am almost sure that was the last England game.

Unless we change our system, the midfield is expected to cover for a wandering TAA and Hendo does not have the pace to do that anymore. So if we still want the TAA option up to the line, then a better midfielder is required. Or keep Hendo and therefore TAA has to sit tight. We don't appear to have the ability to adapt the team to the available people and keep trying the same system leaving ourselves wide open.

I wouldn’t be playing Hendo at 8 - which is the position he plays when covering Trent - but he still has the tools for 6. We also simply don’t have a decent 6 option against genuine high quality opposition, so he’s the best of a bad bunch.

tbh that thing of covering Trent just looks dead in the water anyway, there’s just no-one there to do that. Naby probably the closest, but he’s poor when defending on the back foot. Elliott also is better pressing than coming back defending. Our options are just very limited right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

The best of a bad bunch is probably the most appropriate sentence for the midfield right now.

Elliott is not built/designed for defensive duties. I like him a lot but every time TAA wanders, he gets exposed. He has lovely movement in attack and it would be a disgrace to ignore his ability.

I know what TAA has given us in the past but he is now part of the problem. If there is nobody to cover, then he has to be more disciplined in defence or be removed until we can find cover. Then who goes into his position? I just know it would be Milner leaving me shouting at my TV again !

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Summitatem

High intensity training is perfect (if you accept most players aren't overly enthralled by it) when not playing CL and PL....unless you're dumping/trading 3 or 4 starters a season it's likely not sustainable if you've top class European football in addition to your PL commitments. Unless you've hardly any competing internationally...but if you're in the CL that's not happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭passatman86

We played crap tonight - can't believe we lost the derby. This team is terrible in midfield.

"just getting my post in early"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,845 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

There's no way we can give him a new contract,

So keep him until it runs out & then let him go, Fantastic footballer but he is a crock ,

The most annoying things is he has a habit of missing big games for us ,

The argument for keeping Thiago seems to be that he's our best midfielder right now and we have to give him plenty of rest; thats not a great argument, being our best midfielder right now is debatable ( and an exceptionallly low bar considering how poor our midfield is), his performances recently haven't been great, especially against Wolves, also why does he need more rest than other players, we can't be carrying players who need more rest than other players, his injury record is poor; currently injured, missed most of our big matches against the top sides last season, plus he'll be 32 in April and contract up summer 24, so this summer is our last opportunity to get something for him, plus it also gets a high earner off the books.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Can't remember a Derby where 'form goes out the window' actually suits both teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Who would you suggest is our best midfielder right now?

Our midfield is so poor right now, it's almost non-existent, in my opinion none of our midfielders on current form are up to the required level, I'd give Bajcetic and Eliot a pass as they are young players still in development, all the senior players have been poor this season, that includes Thiago, he's just been less poor than both Henderson and Fabinho ( who seems to have forgotten how to play).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I suppose the main point of the argument on keeping Thiago is, he would be another midfielder we would have to to replace this summer. We are loosing Oz, Milner and Kieta as it is. If Thiago goes that leaves us with Hendo, Fab, Jones, Elliot and Batcetic as the remaining midfielders. Hendo and Fab are finished as regular starters and we need 2 replacements for both of those as a priority this summer. Jones is not good enough, Betcetic will only be 19 next season and is not ready for week in week out football and Elliot should only be utilised as a forward option in my opinion. If we offload Thiago we're not going to get a whole lot of money for him at this stage but it will take an expensive signing to replace him as is realistically currently our best midfielder as things stand . The only midfielder worth off loading would be Fab as we might recoup some decent some of money for him and I don't think he has anything to offer us going forward...It would take some summer spree to replace Kieta, Thiago, Hendo and Fab all in one window! We will be lucky to get 2 midfielders in if we are been honest.

• Advertisement

I agree with a lot of your points and Thiago is likely to be at the club next year as we will need to replace so many midfielders. In my opinion we would be better served in the long run by letting Thiago go this summer and bringing a younger replacement, I accept this is unlikely to happen as we won't be able to afford it. We definitely shouldn't extend his contract beyond summer 24 as he'll be 33 next year.

Advertisement