Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

'But SF' will not save FF on this one. It is being criticised on it's own merits.

And it brings up embarrassing stuff for other coalition members, like The Taoiseach:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Just hard to take the righteous indignation on this seriously given all you are willing to over look in SF, I'm sure most would agree.

It really isn't embarrassing for the Taoiseach, it is nothing for him. I'm sure he'll be happy to use it against FF during the next election campaign though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Bit rich and hypocritical of you, a supporter of Sinn Fein and the Republican movement in general, to be critical of Bertie Ahern's past. At least he never supported terrorists or was a terrorist himself, which is more than can be said for a lot of SF. And as Pat Kenny said on the radio, Ahern was instrumental in getting the PIRA to surrender. The loyalist paramilitaries always said they would if the PIRA / INLA did. Ahern, along with other politicians, saved lives. Having said that, Ahern helped inflate the bubble back in 2004 / 2005, and politicians like that - who are on a six figure pension since - helped make Ireland one of the most indebted countries in the world per head of population. But at least he never supported terrorist paramilitary organisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There is one law for Sinn Fein and one law for everyone else.

Sinn Fein can have politicians with dodgy pasts in leading positions, other parties can't.

Sinn Fein can amend their electoral expenses returns four or five times because of "oversights" but everyone else is guilty of corruption when they do it.

Sinn Fein can't be criticised on the basis of their record in government in Northern Ireland, but even Labour who have not been in government here since 2016 can be criticised on the basis of their record.

It goes on and on and on.

Ahearn was pivotal in getting paramilitaries into democratic politics. Of that there is no doubt and he deserves credit.

However, unfortunately that is not why there is much criticism of this latest move by FF and the blow back on the current Taoiseach and the remarks and comparisons he made.

• Advertisement

No righteous indignation here. I signed up to the GFA and didn't introduce glass ceilings after.

They were asked to enter democratic politics and all indications from the vested monitors say that they have. If that changes so too will my vote.

The PIRA was already in democratic politics (it tried a ballot box in one hand and an armalite in the other) but in the decades before it surrendered its explosives and weapons it typically only got a few % of the vote on average in nearly all of the constituencies it contested. Had very very few TDs / MP ever elected until it surrendered its explosives and weapons.

Same as you would expect in America if those involved in the movement which attacked the world trade center stood for election. They would not get much of a vote.

Not getting involved in deflection. Open a thread on it if you wish to discuss the IRA.

Hard to distinguish the PIRA from SF when so many were members of both, and many would say they were the 2 sides of the same coin. It was them who coined the infamous phrase "a ballot box in one hand and an armalite in the other". It was you who mentioned SF.

Post edited by Francis McM on

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mod: @Francis McM & others - let's not make this about yet another thread about SF & the IRA. Final warning to all.

• Advertisement

You'd really have to wonder what is going on in FF.

Is Martin in control?

Why would he allow this to happen now and effectively unleash a rerun of The Mahon Tribunal and the esposure of FF ethics that decimated the party electorally?

Barry Cowen was also on DriveTime absolutely praising Ahern to the rooftops and then went on to defend Leo Varadkar on his about face on Ahern. Very strange goings on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You think there's mood music being played here, Francie?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

At least we know who the leader is.

Cowen, the backbenchers?

Certainly odd that a leader who was in Cabinet during those years would want it all raked up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Never been a fan of or would vote for Ahern and he probably should have been charged for what came out of the Mahon tribunal (remembering that we voted against giving more powers in this area to the oireachtas and the burden of proof required would likely have meant he walked off scott free anyway).

However, the realpolitik is that a lot of people like Ahern and associate him with pension and wage payouts and a long running boom that he didn't get tarnished with when the bust occurred (and we voted FF back in anyway rather than let a more normal party like Labour hoover up the populist votes).

A lot of people online won't like it but he'll end up an asset at election times even if you don't like him (and I'd point at the vitriol Varadker receives when he's as plain a politician as you can get).

It won't add one vote to FF, and it will turn the stomachs of anyone who was thinking of giving them a vote again.

He might be an asset alright if he is limited to back room stuff like planning and whatnot but the fact that he was coy about running for President was fairly enlightening.

I'd imagine Michael Martin had to give it the green light for him to be readmitted. I wonder is there a vague plan there for him. I can't see any universe where Bertie could win a Presidential election (but Michael Martin himself definitely could).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They're opening themselves up to an awful lot of potential flack for maybe some "back room stuff like planning".

Strikes me more as the party continuing to yearn back to a time that is gone from them. They will never be the natural party of government ever again (hopefully no one will), bringing back Bertie won't change that.

• Advertisement

After reading a lot of comment on this I think it's as crass as not wanting to be in the shadow when it comes to the photo ops around the GFA anniversary. Ahern and FF don't have much in their recent history to point to as a success after all.

Be grateful for small mercies though, at least they did nor murder gardai or engage in bank robberies or fundraise to arm a private secret terrorist army.

While elements of the media try to cheerlead Bertie's second coming as something Irish politics needs or welcomes, it's good to see that there are those objecting to him being lionised without accountability.

The current Taoiseach's willingness to forget what he did has copperfastened the idea that FG and FF have indeed merged in all but name.

Indistinguishable now.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

mod: @Francis McM - next attempt to make this about the IRA will result in a ban.

They can yearn all they want but that man would be unelectable in a Presidential election - which is the only option he has available to him politically. The key voting demographic of 45-60 year-olds were the generation who were burned most severely in the crash and quite a lot of them associate him with that and nothing else.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I completely agree but there is still an element in FF that thinks they belong back in their pre 09 electoral position. I’m shocked it was allowed as there is nothing but downside to it as far as I can see.

The Irish Examiner are reporting that the next Dáil will have an increase of between 18-20 additional seats. This is to bring the T.D. per capita figure back to the constitutionally mandated range of 1 per 20-30k people. They are also reporting that the rules limiting constituencies to between 3 and 5 seats will remain in place.

Personally I think the beneficiaries of all these extra seats could well be the exact same TDs that got elected last time in the places where SF didn't run enough candidates. In that election massive SF surpluses ended up electing other left-wing candidates. SF are unlikely to make the same mistake twice so I think a lot of those candidates would have been very venerable. If there is now going to be a new seat in their constituency then that may save them though.

The making and breaking of constituencies will also be a major factor. 5-seater constituencies are better for smaller parties whereas 3-seater constituencies traditionally favour the larger parties.

The CSO are due to publish the full details of last year's census in a few months time and then the new Electoral Commission will decide the new constituencies, based on that, a month or two after that (sometime in early summer I believe).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Take Donegal for example. Splitting into two 3-seaters could see SF take 4 out of 6 with a small increase on 2020. Pringle could lose out but his transfers elect the second SF candidate. On the other hand, a small decrease could see them take only 2 out of 6.

All around the country you could see similar issues. Dublin West going to a 5-seater could see O'Gorman keep his seat and the last seat be a dogfight between FG and SF with the result dependent on which part of the constituency the extra voters come from. Small possibility of someone else sneaking in.

Yeah the Irish times political correspondents were saying that the redrawing of the boundaries is a hot topic in Leinster House at the moment. Somebody always gets screwed over when half their base gets put into the adjoining constituency (I remember it happening to Jerry Buttimer in 2016 in Cork South Central when a huge section of his base, in the west of the constituency, was transferred to Cork North Central).

Thankfully we have an independent commission along with a set of guiding principles so it's all above board unlike far too many states in the USA where some of the politicians themselves get to draw their own constituencies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Of course, they could have a Constitutional Amendment to fix the number of Dail seats set for all time, or go for a smaller ratio.

The USA has only 100 senate seats.

Advertisement