Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six Nations 2023 - Ireland v France Match Thread, Sat 11th Feb, KO 2:15PM - TV: RTÉ2, ITV, France2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Has head contact occurred - Yes

Was it reckless and avoidable - Absolutely

What was the degree of danger - It took the guy out of the game so it was by definition dangerous, was there high force, obviously yes

Is there any mitigation - It might have hit his chest a microsecond before belting him in the head. This should not be mitigation

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

You probably need to read the entire process document. The section above is for the processes, there's also a section on context. The second paragraph explicitly excludes injuries or HIAs and concentrates on the actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,323 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the main factors for me is "was atonios actions the cause of the high contact" and to that all answers are yes. He was completely vertical, and had loads of time to bend. Herring does not dip his head into the contact. Atonio tucks his right arm and therefore leads with the shoulder. There is contact between shoulder and head, whether its chest first is simple biology, the human body is malleable and Atonios shoulder simply went though herrings chest and made contact with herrings jaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Not sure there's a point here other than the fact that he references all the things he referenced on the pitch. Specifically a Direct v Indirect hit. He decided that it was indirect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

^^^^^^^^

Won't somebody think of the children!!

That post is bordering on hysteria. It probably should have been a red but I can see how and why Barnes gave a yellow. Tell me, were you this wound up and concerned for player safety when Porter broke Rettallick's cheek bone in the summer with a similar hit?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,100 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Watched the game again this morning. That period between 40mins and 55mins approx when Casey and Byrne and O'Toole came on was edgy stuff when the game could easily have turned against us. A combination of luck and critical heroics got us through. Bar the drop goal France never looked like even scoring through luck after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Incredible game. the first half seemed to go on for ages, I remember checking the game clock at 20 mins, felt like it had been an hour.

First Ireland game I've been to in a while and what I was blown away by was (a) how quickly our players got back on their feet and into the defensive line, time after time after time, and (b) how quickly we react to things, like a little line break or a skip pass, we adjust so quickly, what look like yawning gaps close so quickly...we are incredibly well drilled.

Years of quality coaching, not just this coaching ticket, and through schools and under-age representative levels. Great times to be an Ireland supporter.

Just on this, there's also an interesting conversation going on in the premier league at the moment after several very poor VAR decisions over the past few weeks. In this case the AR knows he can't really disagree with the ref with the entire world listening in, even though his face says pretty clearly what he's thinking. In football, there's no public deliberation or communication with fans on how a decision is reached, which is something that people want. I wonder if the rugby officials could deliberate in private would Carly have challenged Barnes' decision?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

They should at least have a code worked out between themselves, something as simple as ‘do you want to take one more look there’!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

You do hear that from the TMO at times. Also I don’t think the AR to ref communications are public?

ultimately it’s the refs decision though.

Also I don’t think the AR to ref communications are public?

They aren't but if Carley is standing right beside Barnes it won't be very hard to work out what's going on.

The TMO used the words "clear contact with the head" early in the deliberation process. Seems the TMO and the linesman were both seeing a red card offence but Barnes initial reaction while play was continuing was "tackle is fine play on" and I wonder how much that initial reaction played into his overall response.

Player safety outweighs all other considerations, but from a very selfish point of view - I'm glad we beat France with their full compliment. A red card would have left an Asterix beside the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

And now that there's no Asterix, we can build an Obelix to mark the achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Ah yeah I have heard that, I just mean that they should have worked out beforehand that it means I think you’ve got this wrong.

it was obvious very early in the review that he had made up his mind it wasn’t going to be a red and said words that came to that conclusion. He made no attempt to dip into a tackle position he was at best going to hit chest to chest or shoulder to chest but made no attempt to bend over at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭standardg60

I think that's exactly what it was, Barnes' ego, he is a barrister, gets in the way of him making the correct call sometimes. He just doesn't like to admit he was wrong.

He saw it as fine in play so his first instinct is to back himself up.

Though as others have said I'm glad it remained 15 on 15, bar the yellow, for the good of the game and the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

We even heard it on Saturday. Barnes made his decision and went through his judgement and the tmo came in and said this is the best angle of the contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Gmaximum

I agree all day long it should have been a red.

That said I've symapthy for the referrees in this situation, like the players there's adrenalin, not wanting to ruin the spectle etc etc. Having seen Alain Roland present after he'd retired from the pitch at a corporate gig about decision making under pressure it's clear they take the job very seriously and review to apply learnings to the next game.

What I do have a problem with is the cult of the referre that now exists in rugby. It started with Steve Walsh and Nigel and now both Barnes/Pearce have developed a media and social media presence. Barnes out with the turtles trying to explain his decision only adds to the controversy, I think he was interviewed during the week and he said Sexton was the hardest player to referee. They should be like a judge - make a decision for good or bad, leave it at that and move on. The appeals/citing process can take care of the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I presume you're a homeopathist peddling this kind of nonsense as if it had any basis in reality?

They should be like a judge - make a decision for good or bad, leave it at that and move on

Imagine if fans were capable of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Barnes out with the turtles trying to explain his decision only adds to the controversy

The video was posted before the game. You owe Wayne Barnes an apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Gmaximum

Sorry Wayne

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

I think it should have been red but i can understand where Barnes came about to get a decision for what he did do. I dont think there is any cult of referee in rugby and its natural with everything else with media coverage having improved that the coverage the officials get has increased exponentially.

I dont think barnes explaining reasoning behind decisions in some areas of the game is a bad thing as huge numbers of people dont have a clue about certain areas of the game especially with the constant law amendments/trials/applications..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I understand the furor over Barnes' decision, but I was glad that there wasn't a red card. Wanted no asterisk next the win

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Antonio has been cited apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Atonio cited, hearing to take place on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I actually quite like the fact there are refs in the game with a personality and a willingness to go in front of the camera to talk about decisions, processes and the pressure. I think it's great and something that appears to be fairly unique to rugby.

I do agree that with Steve Walsh it got out of control. I actually knew him back in NZ through another sport and I was really happy for him when he first came on the scene as he was a good, young ref who was very fit and generally refereed a good game. However the celebrity crap did start to take over and the bigger his ego got, the worse his performances went. I don't see that with any current or recently retired refs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭kuang1

Did he end with a bit of a drug problem also or was that BS?

Advertisement