Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel's Midnight Suns (Firaxis)

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The problem is Marvel games have been far from a sure fire hit - outside of the free to play space, I think only really Spider-Man has been a runaway success recently, and Spider-Man is kinda popular enough to stand alone. But Avengers was by all accounts a flop, and AFAIK even Guardians of the Galaxy - well-received though it was - didn’t exactly set the world alight commercially.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ah that's a pity, it's a really solid fun game. I'm not getting a lot of time with it but always enjoy the time I do spend with it. It might be too big a game for me at the moment though as I have a list of games I want to play and this is taking me an awfully long time to get through. Might trade it in and come back to it down the line.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I was going to buy this until I learned it was card based. I've watched a bunch of streams of it in action and the more I watched, the more I realised I was right not to get it - just not quite my thing for this sorta game, but I can see how the mechanics would appeal to a lot of folk who may not necessarily think that this is that sort of game (they should be targeting Magic and Yu-Gi-Oh players I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think that's more what Marvel Snap is aimed at. I was skeptical of the card-based combat too before launch but would have been more put off if it was that sort of card game. The card-combat in this game is simplistic and really just adds RNG/restrictions to your abilities, rather than any sort of real deck-building.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Played the trial on PS and I couldn't get into it. I had hoped for "marvel xcom". But the cards system rather than a dice system makes it pretty boring. I'd barely finished the tutorial and was already sick of the same animation and quip for the moves.

• Advertisement

It can definitely be like that in the early game. Later in the game you have more characters, you unlock new cards for all characters, upgraded cards with extra abilities etc, but you do have to put in quite a bit of legwork to get things upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

There were a few times where I was wishing the devs just made Xcom 3 instead. I tried a few of those turn based strat games and none have come close to xcom 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

So the initial reviews put me off midnight suns but Lord Cognito raving about it every week got me interested . then reading couple reviews in magazines made me even more interested . Then the 1 hour trial on ps5 increased my interest again . So being free on steam this week ideal chance test it out . Played it for hours on pc and now iv on steam deck . Ideal steam deck game really . Graphically nothing special , a lot down time around abbey & its turn based .Defo buying it now when it's on sale ! Great on deck .

• Registered Users Posts: 49 jobrien874ie

Wicked I've been waiting for some clarification on this and sounds great @brady12 - Put tons of hours into XCom 2 so good to hear its great - they just announced (clarified its being made, not sure if their was doubt about that) Civ 7 as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

That reminds me - Jake Solomon's new studio won't be doing any turn-based games any time soon, which is a shame. Understandable that he wants to try something new, but I'd have loved more XCOMesque shenanigans. Firaxis themselves might oblige I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

Picked this up on PS5 the other day in the PSN sale. I really like the combat but it's frustrating how much time you spend in between missions. I can go through entire play sessions and only play one mission. I'm hoping it tightens up a bit once the tutorial stuff is out of the way and you don't have to spend so much time exploring.

I don't dislike the idea of having a social sim between missions and the feedback loop between the two parts of the game is decent with everything you do playing into opening up more options in combat, but it's just executed poorly. Neither the writing or voice acting are particularly good and traipsing around the abbey feels like a chore.

I am very much enjoying the combat though. Surprised how heavily it leans into the card mechanic. I'd read about it but in my head it was still going to play like xcom but then you pick a card to do an attack instead of using a gun with a hit chance. In reality it's much closer to a pure card game with some positional play layered in, and that is no bad thing because it all plays so well.

After a while you get fairly used to just breezing past the Abbey stuff on a day-to-day basis, knowing where to go to upgrade cards/heroes etc quickly and with little thought/effort. Even just when it comes to discussions with other heroes, you get used to picking up on the particular lines of dialogue and can pick your response quickly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

FYI this is free for the next week on the Epic Game Store - not a bad little freebie!

Advertisement