Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EmonEVSE from untethered to tethered

• 12-02-2023 3:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if the EmonEVSE charger can be changed from untethered to tethered by connecting one of these cables to it?

It does have glands at the bottom where the cable can exit so I assume it's just a matter of connecting the wires to the existing plug or the plug needs to be disconnected and this cable connected in its place?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

open it up and take a picture, the key thing to see is does it have a good mechanism to hold the tethered cable inside, my untethered zappi has the back part of the cable grip moulded into the back of the casing, but its didn't come with the front piece. It not you will need it on the wall, which might not be a bad idea anyway

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Not sure yet, it's siliconed around the edges so would require a bit of work to get to it.

I'll see when I get some time to check it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

This is what the inside looks like

Stay Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,568 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Which ESP module and CT did you attach? I hadn't sees direct-attach CT kit like that yet.

EDIT: or is it just talking to the charger module over serial?

The tethered cable has these wires:

So I would assume one would disconnect the type 2 plug at the breaker and connect this cable instead?

However I do see an extra red wire on the plug which doesn't seem to exist on the tethered cable?

• Advertisement

Then the cable is a fixed current type as there will be a resistor which represents the capability (in Amps) of the cable in the cable-head.

Check the resistance between PP and PE using a multimeter and look-up the table at the bottom of the link.

Actually, that website is confusing, it shows two differing images of the untethered end of the cable.

I think that this is the one that you need as that presents PP and PE out to the vehicle instead of letting pre-set resistance in the cable-head be the deciding factor.

Yeah that looks about right actually, I assume that photo they have it's not showing but it "should" have it.

Wondering whether to bother with at all this since it costs the same (if not more) than a standard 10m type 2 cable anyway but the main worry would be it exposed to the sun for long periods and I guess the thieves in here didn't start robbing these for copper?

A nice wall box would be nice for storage (like the ESB box) but would require cutting into the wall to do it right, another pain.

Saw an article in the uk where they started stripping people's ev cables, on their driveway, pure scum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

is it in the existing lead, check for continuity at both end of the cable, may not be used in the cables

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

That's not mine. I found the image on Google to save you from opening your unit.

Stay Free

• Advertisement

I sent the question to the openenergy support email and heard back saying it is not supported/advised to do it.

Technically I don't see the problem but I'm sure it voids warranty at the very least.

If it was the skinny blue charger it would be fine.

Ordered a 10m standard type 2 cable.

Or I could also reverse into my driveway and 5m is plenty but meh convenience 😆

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭zg3409

Some people stop their non tethered cable from being stolen by installing an eye bolt and locking the cable around it. You can also route it via a downpipe or simar way to make it hard to run away.

I suspect the extra red and black wires are for a locking mechanism to prevent someone unplugging while charging is still happening. It's not needed for tethered. As you say it's not worth the effort, risk, danger.

Advertisement