Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Ireland 5g

Options
2»

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

This is not indicative of 4G being worse than 5G or v.v. It might be indicative that your 5G enabled phone is way more technologically superior to that router they use for their broadband. What device is there in use?

Out of two year 4G contract - they likely on Huawei B525, if contract dating longer than that, without device upgrade, perhaps they still on B593?

You dont have to be on 5G to get 100+ Mbps, you need later release device that is capable

When i was lately checking with them about my ancient €30 bill-pay rolling phone plan entitlement for 5G, i got impression that this is their tactics - get everyone onto new contracts, despite your current plan is/might be good as is. My plan is over 10 YO and it run on 5G . TBH, not sure how it works with broadband plans

Device location also play role in signal reception, hence the speed - move it around, to the windows, from room to room, attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Yeah 90% sure it’s the B525. Speedtest on my iPhone 14 Pro on 4G shows the same low speeds as their router no matter location in or outside house. 5g goes to the 100+ speeds. Mast is overloaded I think as loads of houses down there use Three as their broadband source due to lack of other options.

Had B525 and had speeds in the range of 100+ back in the day.

Very strange that 4G would be so low where 5G available, indicating near mast proximity

Getting new contract (and new device) likely will prove to give better speeds, but if to avoid contract you might need to invest some effort and/or might need some/new gear - for short therm might not pay off unless second hand , then re-sell when no longer needed

https://ie.webuy.com/product-detail/?id=snetztemc801a3&categoryName=wireless-routers&superCatName=computing&title=zte-mc801a-5g-wifi-6-router-3&referredFrom=search&queryID=c41a844c78287bbc05d3e1160ef9500a&position=1

and PAYG €20/28d SIM only

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Yeah the plan was to buy a 5G router and use his current sim, if they enabled the 5G, to avoid being locked into contract. But doesn't seem to be an options. Unless using a PAYG mobile sim in the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,470 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Have been thinking of making the switch to 3 5g broadband, as their availability checker says I can get it despite being in rural donegal.

I am currently on a 30meg package from a wireless provider in Derry, and would love to switch to a service that is delivering speeds in multiples of that.

I have read this thread, but could any of those who got it installed and were happy, could they update and let me know if you are still happy? I see a few comments about speed dropping over time. I wouldn't want to go for this, only to find out they are like Imagine, with poor speeds and poor customer service.

Also, how strict are they on the 750gb fair usage limit? I don't think I'd ever use that in a month, but you never know.

• Advertisement

It will depend on actual signal/speed you get, dont rely too much on their maps. Test on the phone, 5G available? inside/outside? Don't fall for 5G adverts.

Extensive testing before commitment highly recommended, locate nearest masts, find services and frequencies they operate

Speeds might/will drop during peak time, sometimes badly, but if you get 200-300 off peak, and retain ~100 at peak its not bad.

4G below, custom setup - i don't care of their support much. 5G just about <100 off peak / 25 peak, inconsistent. YMMV

@7:30

Just few min ago, could go bit worse at times

There is NO LIMITS & NO FUP 1GB on many of their plans, if not on all, but check their web for latest plans/news

Post edited by smuggler.ie on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,470 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thanks for that.

How would you find out your closest mast? Do 3 have their own masts or piggyback off another provider?

I have just read their website, and they still mention 750gb fair usage limit.

Comreg

Cellmapper

G maps

Three have their own

Let me correct myself

but i have not come across, perhaps on bill-pay they might charge

https://www.three.ie/pdfs/legal/3-broadband-5g-silver.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭shmeee

Go for a pre-pay €20 a month Three sim which has unlimited 5g data. Top up €20 every 28 days and away you go.

I went to go on a €29.99 3 Unlimited Broadband SIM Only and was informed to instead go with a 3 Prepay 20 Sim only plan with 'All You Can Eat Data' 5G for €20. The €29.99 plan did actually have a data cap of circa 750gb I think he said to me, he said no limit on the data on the prepay sim. Swapped out Sims and away I went. Hitting 30-120mbps (not on a 5g router, need to find one online), and need to find a good location for the router near a window facing the mast which can be seen out the widow a few km's away so trial and error. 750gb a month is a heap of data BTW anyway, I was only hitting 5-10gb per day on average when monitoring it.

3 Prepay 20 - https://www.three.ie/buy/prepay.html#sim-only

3 Unlimited Broadband Sim - https://www.three.ie/buy/broadband.html

*Ps already have a Three router so only needed a sim card btw.

Post edited by shmeee on

• Advertisement

According publications back then, three were removing FUP altogether, i had confirmation from three chat that there is no longer FUP and my statement was based on that , however, as they did not updated their publicly available T&C's , this leaves customers vulnerable/in doubt to this respect.

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/three-removes-fair-use-limits-on-unlimited-broadband-plans-41952074.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭shmeee

The Three rep in-store said there is still a fair usage limit on the mobile broadband sim but no fair usage limit on a prepay 'all you can eat data' sim. So not too sure what to believe and I searched all the T&C's and couldn't find anything concrete on it.

What i hate most, once you sign up, you have no paper contract, generic page with links "see T&C's" and abyss of convoluted info on webpages. And this is not just three. Support on phone/chat/store are useless, full of contradicting information. Should it come to legal matters - only paper contract will stand and i am sure three would put the "package" that defend them , not customer.

Last year, on the phone, i was advised to purchase roaming add-on for data while asking about best roaming partners in Bulgaria (EU country) for best performance/coverage. My contract covers 26GB/pm data in EU - more than enough for holiday term. Shower crew there, perhaps some better informed than others .

With bill-pay - they could possibly charge as per print, with pre-pay - well that would be interesting to see implemented...

Advertisement