Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us - HBO *Spoilers* See warning in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,225 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Last two episodes were pretty great. Best of the show so far for me. My only gripe is that they included the juggernaut thing. That was always kinda crap in the game and it's doubly so in the show. He came complete with big ol monster roar too. I was hoping that the producers would skip that particular stage of infection. Oh well.

The kid clicker was pretty damn cool though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,617 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah they used a kid who's a contortionist so they moved really extra freaky trying to get Ellie in the car. That was insane.

The Bloaters I don't mind so long as they're used sparingly. The show is very much leaning more towards avoiding the infected at all costs rather than trying to fight them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭Evade

Left Behind takes place

just after Joel gets impaled in the university so that and the David/cannibals arc could happen concurrently

They've skipped over a few bloater appearances already

• Registered Users Posts: 25,807 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That kid was brilliant. Just tripping her way through the car.

The big fella didn't look great. CGI looked poor and the movements were very generic big angry hulk monster. He is absolutely crap from the fungus point of view because he mashed anything came near him.

The Joel's eye view of the battle was brilliant though as was the innocence of Ellie's attempt to use her "super power"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,819 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The bloater looked way better there than in the show.

The extra in the background drinking coffee is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Never played the game, The bill and frank episode was absolutely amazing tv but I’m not loving the 2 episodes since. Got very close to feeling like the walking dead muck from a few years ago. Hopefully now they are on the move I start enjoying it again

Reminds me more of World War Z or The Living Dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Never played the game but Joel shooting from the house to protect Ella looked like a game mission. Loved the contortionist in the car. Very creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Im enjoying this.

Never played the game and its quite a solid watch. I was a bit taken back by the violence of the opening of E5 - The locals really didnt like fedra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I liked in the previous episode where Ellie's asking Joel if they're not Fedra, who are they. He responds "they're just people"

And this episode really shone on that point. Joel's also told Ellie about his experience on both side of the ambush tactic.

Here we learn how Kathleen, Perry etc, were wronged by Fedra and rebelled. It wouldn't take a massive perspective shift to see them as the heroes.

Just allowing us that little extra time with these characters really helps keep the show operating on it's on terms.

Henry & Sam's extra scenes were great to have as well. I liked that Henry was a bit more than a two-dimensional side-character. He was clever and resourceful, but also a bit naive. I think they got the balance just right to make it believable.

It was good carnage - really frenetic, cars knocking down infected metres from our heroes, insane child clicker, and whatever else. All very hectic, and looked great.

Bloater was... grand. Didn't quite have the same heft/weight as the more human characters, but wasn't a scene killer. Just a Perry killer.

A bit silly of Ellie not to tell Joel right away; dunno if she thought she could actually save Sam or if she was just hoping he'd be ok, or maybe just thought the comfort she could offer him was the single most important thing. Either way, fairly devastating, and well done. Her scenes with Sam throughout were great, even when just in the background of Joel & Henry sections.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The sniper section was always my least favourite part of the game, as it suddenly becomes a fairly generic big action blockbuster in a game otherwise devoted to scarce resources and limited tools. I think this episode falls into the same trap, but at least they give a face and context to the random goons.

It showed just how much Ellie is still halfway between being a child and being someone equiped for the harsh world.

I think it's Henry who says it, but seems like FEDRA in that particular QZ were extra brutal and sadistic and had been raping & torturing people, hence the extreme brutality the resistance showed FEDRA when they overthrew them. Also explains why Kathleen and her group had zero time for any collaborators/informants, not just Henry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The development of side characters has been nothing short of masterful, particularly in such short screen time.

The relationship between Bill and Frank was excellently conveyed after just one episode. It really is an incredible job to make you care so much for two characters after only 40 minutes of screen time.

Kathleen was brilliantly shown not to be a simple one-dimensional bad-guy. They showed her humanity, hurt and motivation in contrast to her evil ruthlessness and avoided that "bad for the sake of it" trope. You understood her reckless pursuit for Henry even if you didn't agree with it. In another show, she's easily an anti-hero.

With Henry, you believed his character and his motivations to do anything for Sam. And they're brief on-screen relationship clearly has lasting effects on Joel and Ellie.

Even Perry was seen to be a rational character and not a stock 'henchman'.

It's a joy to see these side characters screentime absolutely maximised and nothing is wasted.

Another thing I love is that we've had relatively few encounters with infected. It really builds the air of fear about them, that we know they're somewhere off-screen.

If they were paraded out every twenty minutes they'd lose all effect, but their sparing use means that when they do pop-up, it's really an 'oh shít' moment rather than just thinking 'here we go again'.

It also makes guns and bullets very special items.

It would be stupid if in this post industrial world Joel was just spraying bullets all over the place every day.

• Advertisement

but surely guns and ammunition couldn't be in that short supply?

I'd say FEDRA would have rounded up as much of the supplies as possible from as many sources as possible. People probably aren't allowed their own weapons inside QZs (hence why Joel had a hidden stash in his and Tess' apartment and why they kept small stashes hidden in places along their usual routes). After 20 years, a lot of the guns and weapons would have ended up with raiders and the likes, the Fireflies (Marlene's group), or other non-FEDRA settlements.

Bill had his own decent stock, but even if Joel did take some bullets for themselves when leaving Bill's, he's lost it when they had to abandon the truck after being ambushed.

It's not so much the guns and ammo being in short supply, it's just where those supplies have likely ended up.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭ULMarc

I felt overcoming those threats relied a bit too heavily on plot armour. It developed very rapidly. I didn't really expect there to be any underground tunnels under the suburban street, so when that all kicked off I felt like I had to just accept it was happening.

Gutted for Sam and Henry though, that's rough going after the 2 of them having come that far.

Nah it'll be fine. The logic of tLoU universe states that if you kill an infected while you have no ammunition that infected will have been carrying ammunition.

In reality ammunition isn't that hard to make especially in the US. The quality might not be as good but at the short ranges they're using it it shouldn't make much difference and I don't think the US would run out of gun quickly in the event of a zombie cordyceps apocalypse, they have an estimated 1.2 civilian guns per person.

That would be my thoughts too.

They certainly seem to be hording the medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,225 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's been 20 years, though, since everything went to hell. I wouldn't imagine that ammo would be in great abundance. Especially working ammo in prime condition. And nobody's manufacturing new stuff either, to any great degree anyway.

So, yes, I'd imagine that in the wasteland areas finding usable guns and ammo would be pretty difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I thought Station Eleven was excellent, didn't seem to get much hype or chatter but well worth checking out.

The pictures when you google it don't help it. I thought it was some teen-lit TV show.

Ah they would be in relative terms. Pre-infection, walk into a shop and have at it. Twenty years post breakout, it has to be scavenged. And you can imagine a lot of ammunition was used trying to wipe out the infected and lot was hoarded by those who did have it originally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

It also would have stopped being in production

Edit: and now that I think about it more, the amount off bullets used to fight off other dangerous human/zombie/horde would be very high.

Gun culture in America is big so I could see how after 20 years of no production of bullets and self defense/taking over would lead to a shortage of ammo

Advertisement