Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage question

Options
  • 13-02-2023 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Question? If you got mortgage approval for around150k but found a place for about 130k. Could you use the remaining funds to purchase items or would u only get the price of the agreed place.

Comments

• Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 276 ✭✭Jazz Hands

You will only get your mortgage on what you purchase, not what you have approval for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

You can only get a mortgage up to 90% of the purchase price if you're a first time buyer. So in this case you'd be getting €117,000 from the bank and covering the remaining €13,000 from your deposit

Back in the Celtic Tiger days people were getting mortgages for 110% of the property value and using the extra to buy furniture and stuff

Thankfully after the financial crisis the lending rules put an end to that

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭windowcills

The way i see it....The idea of a mortgage is the bank owns the property till its paid back ( + interest unfortunatly), so they are guarenteed to get paid back

if the property is worth less then the mortgage the bank is in trouble if you stop making payments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Price of the agreed place.

For example if you drew down the mortgage, then furnished the place tomorrow, got hit by a bus the next day, the bank would be left with a 130k house they loaned out 150k for.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Tv2013

Thanks for your replies

for the first home deal scheme, does it have to be a newly build, why can’t it be older houses as there more of them and this make it harder to buy if this scheme was meant to make it easier to buy a home for people who may not be able to get a large mortgage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

The scheme was designed to put money in the pockets of developers. Any benefit to FTBs is ancillary

Not quite, you need life assurance assigned to the bank to get a mortgage

If you die after buying the house then the insurance pays off the mortgage and your next of kin gets the house mortgage free

I see your point though, loaning below the agreed price gives the bank insurance against negative equity and also reduces the debt burden on the buyer (theoretically)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It is aimed at new builds in order to incentivise building of new homes.

More demand for new builds = more supply (in theory).

If we subsidised second hand homes, then fewer new ones get built and the supply crisis gets even worse. Again, in theory.

(As an aside, the government also gets a good chunk of VAT from a new house, which offsets the cost of help to buy. No VAT on second hand homes.)

Great explanation, I would also add that it's possibly a way to encourage the construction of more efficient homes rather than keeping the older G rated homes going

I suspect it's also (in theory) a way to tackle house price inflation in urban areas. I know location is a factor but I really cannot see how some Dublin house prices are justified, considering a lot of the houses would probably need a deep retrofit

By making newer builds more accessible then it makes second hand houses less desirable

Of course the problem with that is that it'll just push people into the suburbs. Apartments are covered by the scheme but we only seem to build apartments to rent in this country

And as @JohnnyChimpo said, it plays pretty well into developers favour. Certainly a good way to keep the construction industry chugging along, especially given they seem to have great difficulty actually building houses based on the amount of complaining they do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Cheers. My memory is hazy even though it hasn't been that long in going through the process.

• Advertisement
Advertisement