Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liffey valley to start charging for parking

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Surely not per hour as in the first three hours for €9.90? If that were the case, they'd lose a lot of business for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

The new bus interchange built in the centre of the car park will have buses stopping in them from this coming Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I think it will remain as free for the first 2 or 3 hours, can't remember which. But then 3.30 per hours thereafter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

With B&Q in major trouble now, shops really need to up their game. Marks delivery service is very poor. They need a click and collect section in the car park, so it can be fast, in and out. Next are on the ball with the next day delivery, they will be fully online in the next few years with very few shops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

• Advertisement

Closing stores down in the UK. They never moved with the online market.

Just googled it, B&Q are closing 8 locations in England, small locations they share with Asda. The 57 staff effected will be offered jobs elsewhere. Hardly major trouble.

Someone at the start of the thread mentioned M&S in Liffey Valley was in big trouble too. They have since spent €1m on revamping the store.

No idea why people think stores are on the verge of closing when they obviously aren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Senature

Well here's a recent article about M&S plans to close stores

I have also noticed that since Brexit, there is continually availability issues in the food section. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were considering closing their stores in ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,270 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

B&Q are always busy enough when I'm in there. I've never needed to shop online with them, the stuff they sell are things I'd rather see in person rather than have to potentially return bulky items.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It may be the case that B&Q, like many British retail groups, are in a sopt of trouble. However, for many of them, their Irish retail outlets continue to perform well both through strong sales and their inflated prices.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Seemingly this is (in part) what the months of construction gave us (for those of you who wonder why cyclists don't use "perfectly good" cycle paths, it is because of "perfectly good" sh1t like this)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Can't be in too much troble in Ireland. Re-opened in Waterford recently after being closed for years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

This thread even had people saying that they haven’t been to a shopping centre for years but somehow knew no one else goes to them now either. Seems some people just like being experts on stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Qŵèrþÿ

- People don't know how to park. About 10-15% of the spaces have people at bizarre angles, unable to park straight .

women

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,272 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Good old DMURS, taking taxpayers for a ride since 2012.

None of this shyt need exist. None of it.

Road, footpath, traffic island, signal junctions. Thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Bsharp

Can see it better on google maps street view.

Looks like they've avoided putting cyclists on the outside because of the steep embankment.

That footbridge is to be relocated as part of the Lucan CBC. My guess is they didn't have budget to reconstruct the footbridge on an interim basis to sufficiently overcome the ped/cycle conflict. Peds and cyclists have multiple interactions on the existing bridge as well. So sticking plaster was the answer because full segregation was too hard given space available without major works.

Is the cycle track narrowed to reduce speed next to the bus stop island? I can't think why else you'd do that in design terms. Still wouldn't agree with it.

The signals are ridiculous. They removed them from the Fonthill Rd so sense prevailed there. Not sure why they've left them up here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

The traffic lights there are possible the stupidest thing I've seen. Someone designed that and a number of crews went out to build it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I haven't noticed food/stock issues in M&S for a good while now. Certainly at the beginning of 2021 and even up to early 2022 there were issues bit I've noticed a vast improvement since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Eh, B&Q are EXPANDING.

Screwfix are part of b&q.

B&q are reopening in Waterford

Their profits last year were £474 million. They are closing a small number of underperforming small stores. That's good business management.

In the UK they've been online for several years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,228 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Still seem to be getting free parking...initially I thought they werent charging if stay under 20 minutes..but last time was over that and still not charged...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭emo72

heard rumours lots of shops going. starbucks gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Every time I've been there in the last few weeks it seemed busy enough. Suffice to say, I haven't paid for any parking. I've shopped more in Tesco though, they must be laughing with the extra revenue from the people now parking over with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I have a customer in the centre. I used to bring them goods about once every 3 weeks. Since the beginning of January, I have been with them once with a reduced order.

I hope these ‘rumours’ are unfounded as in the main LV was a nice SC. But if the ‘rumours’ are true, it’s hard to see how its fortunes can be reversed. The upgrade must have cost a fortune. Whoever did away with the roundabout needs their head examined - installing lights in its place alone would put me off going there to shop. One other thing would put me off: afaik LV car park has no covered parking. Who in their right mind would pay to park on a wet windy day?

On Starbucks, was that the coffee shop in the middle of the floor outside M & S? I don’t know if the circumstances are linked, but Starbucks in Stephen’s Green also gone. Maybe there’s more to this than footfall? The one in SG was nearly always busy anytime I passed it.

One thing I would say is that whatever happens at LV will make Blanchardstown SC think twice about going down the same route.

Starbucks in liffey valley was always a mess though, floors were dirty and chairs pretty bad.

Also Starbucks opened a new one down the road within liffey valley, its a drive through also.

This was done ahead of the car park charges, as they knew it would impact their business.

The new Skechers shop is a down grade on their previous shop, but then again they have upped their online game, so makes sense to down size.

Was in Bulters last sat in Liffey valley, it was very quiet also, had choice of seats which is very unusual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I noticed a few items, which were part of my regular shop, haven't been in stock in Galway for a couple of years, are plentiful in Liffey Valley M&S.

I queried the managers, whom "claim" they were ordering the items forthe galway store, but they never come, after a year, i gave up asking.

See Stradivarius, golden discs, Moss Bros and yankee candle are now gone from LV too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Is it the case that footfall has dropped in the centre since the parking charges came in?

5 shops closing seems a lot in one go, but hopefully not part of a trend.

Advertisement