Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 Season - What ball will you be playing?

Options
  • 14-02-2023 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Simple really, what ball will you be playing during the 2023 season and why?

I'll start, will stick with Supersoft as I love the feel, but I am searching for something a little spinnier around the greens that offers the same level of softness.

Comments

Seed The Pro X1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭big_drive

Must try those out, getting great reviews

I have some Bridgestone tour B xs to use up first. They were on offer in mcguirks last year, very nice ball

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭kod12

Sold out on the Seed site at the moment. Got great reviews but haven't tried it before. The My Golf Spy gave the Titleist Tour Speed great reviews. Do people who use the Pro V1 see much significant difference between brand new and the pearl grade balls you see online for sale. Low handicappers would but would a 14 handicapper for example

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭coillcam

Seed Pro X1 (Yellow) will be my ball whenever it's back in stock. Have a dozen white left from last year too, they're also out of stock atm.

Have a few Chrome Soft X left over from an amazon deal at Christmas. They're a great ball too IMO. However, if I can't get Seeds I might well try a few different options or see what other DTC deals are available.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Round white ones!!

Will probably stick with the Srixon AD 333 or whatever I find in my bag!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Usually, a provisional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Pro V’s I bought about 50 of them recently. Used but in good condition. I like the Srixon AD333 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭srfc d16

Callaway chromsoft with the truvis football design. I like that it is easier to identify and the feel

Nice looking balls, easy to identify your own. I've only used a couple I found on course and they felt great. Gone very expensive to buy new

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭username?!

Played these when they first came out but have been priced out of them. They seem to be more than Prov1s these days

• Advertisement

Ya you're definitely looking over €50 a dozen from what I've seen. In general most balls are expensive at moment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

I've about a dozen and a half Z Star XVs left from last year that I'll use. They were recommended to me by a fitter and I tried them towards the back end of last season. They seem good, but what premium ball doesn't these days. I did get a couple of dozen Pro V1s when Elvery's had a buy one get one half price offer before Christmas. Between both, they should see me right for the season I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Seed SD-05 The Pro Soft

Have a subscription for a box every 3 months. Like the feel and they seem to travel further for me.

Playing any ould yoke during winter but when qualifying comes back I will try to stick with the Seed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭coillcam

Pinged a message to Seed live chat today about restocking and got this response:

"We have just organised a restock shipment, so it shouldn't be too long now (Pro X1). We do have our new SD-01 coming back in white and Yellow very soon too. That shipment should be arriving in Dublin Port this week then with us asap. So not too long until we are all stocked up again."

So looks like next 1-2 weeks they'll have the new version of the SD-01 model for sale. I'd guess the Pro X1 is probably 6-8 weeks away if it's on a container from China. They're potentially missing out on some X1 sales with the season starting to kick off.

Another fan of the Chrome Soft Truvis here. Both the football and shamrock. They do feel lovely and soft off the face but agree with other posters that they are expensive (same as Pro V1). I liked the pattern on the ball as it goes through the air. I found them quite spinny on chips and short pitches, not that it was a bad thing for me tbh. The visual feedback of the pattern does appear to seem spinner but I just noticed them stop faster on pitch shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

I have started off the year with the truvis also - just shot my lowest score ever with it.

I've a few boxes of prov1 which I will probably switch to in the summer. I have back up boxes of Wilson Triad Raw, Snell Blacks and some Seed SD02 - my name is willabur and I have a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

Seed x1 at the start of a round. Another premium ball for provisionals - I've a box of srixons or will use what I find. If I play a second seed with a different number for a provisional I start to doubt myself when I'm walking up to it.

And after I lose a few I'll play whatever I found recently.

I'm still not convinced playing a premium ball as opposed to an ultra makes a huge difference. But I do prefer it. I'm certain a premium ball makes no difference to me compared to a kid range one, like an AD333.

€60 a dozen now for Pro v1's in Mcguirks. You wouldn't want to be losing too many at €5 a ball

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I think I am gonna try stick with the Taylormade RocketBallz. 82 compression seem to be the sweet spot for shorter distance guy like me (circa 200 yard drive)

I had played with the Seeds but I honestly dont think they are as good for me

Also 2 dozen for €32

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Pro V1s for me, used Bridgestone Tour BX last year and was happy enough but the deal I got for them is gone and they're not far off Pro V1 in price now. For anyone in the market for Pro V1s the 4 for 3 will be back this year, starting early March. I'll get that 4 dozen and it should last me the season unless I go through a bad spell, still have a dozen bridgestone after buying 4 dozen last year so will probably use them over the next month or so while waiting for counting rounds.

Seed are very good but they're not as good value as they used to be IMO and their quality control is really poor compared to the bigger brands. Srixon Z Stars are excellent too if you can get a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

I have been using the Titleist Tour Speed ball for the past year (2 dozen on offer in McGuirks for €75). While ProV1 has always been my preferred choice in the past I read that balls are designed to suit different swing speeds and the Tour Speed better suits a slower swing speed (i'm circa 90mph). I find it soft to play and as long as the ProV1 is for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭plumber77

Snell Black. Bought 5 dozen last year and have 3 dozen left. Really like how they feel and perform..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

Looks like callaway have stopped making truvis? They are out of stock in alot of places

Snell are a super golf Ball. Mtb-x is the closest thing to a prov1 I've played

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I think this often happens around this time of year when the new ball is about to be released. I'd assume they'll become available again once the new ball is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

I listened to a really interesting golf pod cast recently and a big tip they gave to improve was using the same ball weather thats a Top Flight or a Pro v. As you will learn how the ball reacts in different situations/conditions/lies etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I'm happy with whatever urethane ball the different manufacturers come out with. I'll try get a few boxes around this time of year. TP5 pix I like. I like having the odd little design on my ball helping me identify it before I get to the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭username?!

Big believer in this.

Better to use the same non premium ball than to use a random bunch of different premium balls IMO. Find one and stick to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I used to lose a lot of balls with my driver off the tee so used the cheapest ball I could find. Playing better this year after a lot of practice over the winter and didn't lose any with driver recently. Should I change ball, still have tons of the cheap ones.

Using these ones

https://ie.sportsdirect.com/slazenger-v300-soft-golf-balls-24-pack-875058#colcode=87505812

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I'll play whatever decent ball I find on the course while searching for my playing partners golf balls. Usually prov1s if I'm lucky enough

• Registered Users Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

What was it the MyGolfSpy guys said...play the most premium ball that you can afford to play.

So if budget not an issue, play a ProV1 or ProV1x as they're comfortably the highest rating ball in their testing

But if that's too steep, and you're around the 30ish euro, think the Tour Speed actually was their best performer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Have tried most premium balls at this stage. Have a seed subscription, but as has been said their quality control leaves a lot to be desired and their new balls scratch and scuff far too easily.

Surprised by so few mentions for the TP5, it's probably my favourite ball to find now surpassing the Pro V.

Bought 20 for €30 on adverts and very happy with them, think they're the best premium ball currently, at least for my swing.

Advertisement