Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

Anyone try haggling with the KB lads from oop North?

I'm due to get my installation from them shortly. While their initial quote was quite reasonable, I've looked for prices for additional panels etc and they are quite expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

How much extra per panel are they looking for?

€400 per panel, -€350 for not taking the Eddi, which is a ridiculous reduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

That is high. I know prices have gone up but I paid €200 extra per panel around this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Option D wins at the moment on value and capacity.

Ask supplier E to quote for 18 panels and play them against other.

You using about 16kwh per day. You will struggle with a 5kWh battery. If you’re charging it at night on the boost rates you won’t make it to 11pm the following day without drawing from the grid at peak times.

get D and E to quote for you 10kWh battery’s and post the prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭grimeire

So the only way to really find out is to see the actual device and check version. I assume all new Zappis are version >=2.1?

Post edited by grimeire on

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mingkim

Got a quote this morning.

9.4 kw with 5kw dryness battery

Solis 6 kw Hybrid invertor

Eddie for hot water

14,700 euro

Grant to come off that

Thoughts/advice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

myenergy definitely shipping the latest version if you order from them but best check if sourcing elsewhere i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

maybe bump up the inverter one more level? otherwise it's a fair price, make sure you agree to timely after sales support and snagging

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

That’s the largest allowed inverter unless they have 3 phase or go down the NC7 route. It’s a good point though; I would check with the inverter spec sheet what the max string input voltage is and that you are not going to be exceeding it with that many panels. It seems like a good quote otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭olympicweights

I had the same back in late November so I kept the Eddi. No budge on extra panel cost of €400 either. So whilst the extra panel maybe only costs €200 they are charging the balance to cover extra rails, anchor points and time to fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 westernfringe

Hi folks, would anyone have any knowledge of CFE batteries? Specifically a cfe 5100 v a Dyness 4.8. Quality/spec/price comparison? I'm not very knowledgeable in these areas.I just recently had a system installed.I had ordered a Dyness, but only after they left did I realise that they installed the cfe, and yet have billed me for the dyness. It was in a metal box so I didn't notice initially. Had some other issues with the install also, so haven't just yet followed it up with the company until I check everything else and get some information. Thanks in advance for any input.

Yeah, I think I'll keep the Eddi also, sell it on Adverts or wherever.

Any thoughts on an Eddi if you have air to water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Waste of money. Also some HPs can integrate with your solar for excess.

HP?

Thanks for the reply. I thought an eddi was needed to allocate the power. Is it not the case during peak solar output without an eddi that i could be sending electric back to grid and getting 10c for each unit and then pulling electric from the grid for 29c for the air to water? so its actually costing me 19c per unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Sorry, HP is a heat pump like your air to water one.

The heat pump will output more than the units of electricity you put in. So if you buy one kWh as an example for 30c the HP could output 3kWh of heat into your hot water. Obviously this will vary based on models, temperature etc.

In my opinion an Eddi is a waste of money if you are already can heat your water with a HP. Especially if you have night rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Munster Blogger

Hi folks,

Trying to do my homework and would be appreciate on folks thought. I’m working on getting more quotes.I’m in the Limerick area.

1. 10 Jinko 415 W panels. 415W Tiger Neo N-type 54Cell AB

2. K2 mounting system.

3. 1 Huawei Hybrid inverter or Simalar

4. 1 Fireman switch.

5. 1 Isolation switch.

6. 1 Check Meter

7. New power supply to inverter.

8. 1 fireproof

€10099 before grant

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Got a quote today for €7200 after the grant for 8 panels and inverter. South Dublin...

The guy said it wasn't worth getting a battery....that surprised me as the other two quotes and fron what I've read all include a battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

That's very dear for 8 panels... had they got an 8 in their name too..??

Run away. You can do wayyyy better than that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

No lol, has just 3 letters in their name.

Am trying to figure out whether we should get a battery or not as before I spoke to this crowd I thought this was given. It's a new house, has a small number of existing panels and we have an EV. We WFH most of the time.

Got another quote...this time 10 panels, 5.4kw battery. No need for a Eddie as we have existing panels for hot water. €10,100 after the grant.

Another with a bigger battery and 11 panels for €13.5k after the grant - that one seems pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

If you have an EV in the driveway when the sun is out (seems you do), you have a 'battery' to soak the excess. Which is good. So a smaller house battery is 'nice to have. That's setup we have..Others may disagree.

Zappi needs minimium of 1.4kWh excess to charge the car. You'd have that from spring to end Sept - depending on size of system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

Yeah I'm finding the battery is good at this time lf year when there isn't enough kW to charge car but still some. So house battery trickle charges for day, and we blow it making lunch, dinner etc and it usually lasts us to night rate then in evening. Then we add 1 or 2 kwh to battery on night ratejust to make sure we get thru tomorrow.

Without battery we'd just be exporting that generation less than 1.4kw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Pavlova lova

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

with the zappi you can set it to export less than 1.4 surplus which might seem like a bad idea.. there's a slider which you can set between 0 and 100.. if you set it to say 50% and the surplus kicks in above 1.4.. and then drops.. it will charge until the surplus goes below 50% of 1.4.. it will use grid or battery to balance up to 1.4..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭circadian

I think there might have been some changes with the SEAI as I know when I was getting mine installed the providers were iffy on it. The changeover being suggested is for the battery, I know some people expect the changeover to run the solar directly to the house but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭circadian

Father in law was sold the no battery line as well and he went for it. Huge shame, as he produces quite a lot and uses very little so the battery would have covered a fair bit of evening use in winter.

I was shopping around last year and I noticed as supply lines got tighter and prices increased some suppliers were only quoting small arrays and sometimes wouldn't quote a battery for me. I wonder if they're having supply issues and reducing the scale of what they'll install knowing each fresh install has a baseline profit margin (as opposed to adding a few hundred for each panel etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

On the battery, I was talking to an installer when getting a quote the other day and he made what I thought was a good point - that if you don't have one, the cost differential (20c? 15c?) you're paying between at the day rates you're using vs the night rate you'd have charged a battery at, it would take a long time to make up the cost of a battery and hybrid inverter. If it cost €3,500, that's 23,000 units you'd need to use up at a differential of 15c before you'd have made the cost back, so better not to have one. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

Another 2 quotes:

1) 10x410w panels, Sofar inverter, Eddi, €9,600 before grant, €7,200 after, €1.76 per Kw

2) 10x400w panels, Solis inverter, €7,600 before grant, €5,800 after. €600 extra for an Eddi, €3,500 extra for a hybrid inverter & 5Kwh battery

Any opinions? Am I allowed name the companies and/or ask if anyone has used them? If you're picking one to hand over a 50% deposit it would be nice to know if they have a good reputation. Neither of these is listed on the "Installer Information" thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭con747

Quote 2 is on the money and the Eddi is a decent price, no naming of companies allowed here though.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement