Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darryl Tyree Williams case

Options
  • 13-02-2023 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭

Williams can be heard questioning why and asking “what’s going on” as he was being arrested. One body camera video shows cops telling Williams if he does not place his hands behind his back, they will fire a Taser.

After being Tased, Williams can be heard expressing concern over what the repeated use of the stun gun could do to his heart. “I’ve got heart problems,” he pleaded with officers. “Please! Please!”

Still, the officers used a Taser for a third time, prompting Williams to cry out in pain, the video shows. About a minute later, he loses consciousness.

Police and EMS on the scene were unable to resuscitate him. He was then brought to a hospital, where he died about an hour later, according to authorities.

This is an absolute s***show. There was no need to use tasers for such a minor offence. Just listening to him plead for help and asking them not to use their tasers is chilling. He knew that he might die if they did. Something seriously wrong with the police force in the US.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

as usual another innocent man murdered for being black, headcases over there glad we dont have too much of it over here

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Six Raleigh, North Carolina police officers were placed on administrative leave after a man died in their custody last month

Initial read so I take a guess the officers were white.

and I check the video and sure nuff a lot of white officers involved.

Tyre Nichols’ case proved officers don’t need to be on extended administrative leave, though. Why are we going back to the old standard immediately 🤔

Post edited by Overheal on

The men who killed him are also black. I know you get a kick out of talking complete shyte but it's in terrible taste to use this atrocity for trolling.

The men who killed him are also black.

And?

I assume you're referring to the Nichols' case because these men are white?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I think you may be mixing this case up with that other case where the guy (Tyre Nichols) was beaten to death.

Regardless, even if the cops were the themselves black, a murder of a black suspect can still have a racial component - in that white suspects don't seem to get murdered quite so often by police when they aren't posing a threat as in these two cases and many many others in recent times.

• Advertisement

Correct, there's been no reform on racial police training or practices. example given:

"become that warrior" god damn they love themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Man gets shot in America. Well I never. Nothing to do with us thankfully. Let them at it over there.

Man gets shot in America

Actually no. That's not the case here. You must have missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

One of the most clear cut cases I've ever came across involved a white victim. Most people don't even know about it, because it couldn't be abused for political gain. Even if you try and go looking for data, which I just did, you'll by meet a wall of results that you don't want, all of them surrounding police brutality against African Americans. The media have literally created a market for black victimization, and they know fine well that if they posted similar stories about the white people, it wouldn't gain any traction, and not just that, it goes against their initial narrative, that being that it's a race issue and not a policing issue.

There's no doubt though, that there's large amount of these cases that surround African Americans, but there's also no doubt that they commit an insanely disproportionate amount of violent crime per capita which result in a higher rate of interactions with the police, which explains the higher ratio of cases. It also explain the higher rate of incarceration. The race card here is so weak when there's a statistical story that makes far more sense.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement

He got tazed after fleeing police while of his head on drugs.

One of the most clear cut cases I've ever came across involved a white victim. Most people don't even know about it, because it couldn't be abused for political gain. Even if you try and go looking for data, which I just did, you'll by meet a wall of results that you don't want, all of them surrounding police brutality against African Americans. The media have literally created a market for black victimization, and they know fine well that if they posted similar stories about the white people, it wouldn't gain any traction, and not just that, it goes against their initial narrative, that being that it's a race issue and not a policing issue.

Who is They?

The Media tm isn't a shadowy room of hooded figures.

there's also no doubt that they commit an insanely disproportionate amount of violent crime per capita which result in a higher rate of interactions with the police,

There's actually shedloads of doubt, don't kid yourself.

Which isn't what you said.

And how do you know he was "of his head on drugs [sic]?" He was being arrested for drug possession not drug intoxication? Are you privy to an autopsy report already if so please share.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

When you mention a group, then follow it with "they", you usually mean the people you just mentioned.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

You're just lumping 100s of media outlets into the 1 narrative. Sounds like it belongs in the Conspiracy Theory forum.

Not even the 'mainstream republican' outlets agree among each other on their own narratives - and one of them was in daily contact with the POTUS.

To suggest the whole media is in on a conspiracy - the body camera footage speaks for itself though.

When there's a system failure on a ship for example, they don't go 'ah sure but 99% of the boat works perfectly well' I'm sure some quarters would love if the media waves were blasting orwellian "all is good all is calm, glorzo is peace etc" rhetoric hyping up the police as heroes and amplifying their warrior rhetoric 24/7 without closely examining the failures but that's just never how it's worked is it? 1000s of bridges work well every day but I STILL have to hear about the Tacoma Narrows on a professional basis nearly every quarter. People still have to remember the lessons from that failure, today, and hopefully forever.

It's sad for the mans family for sure but I am sure professionals didn't just taze him for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Well if there's a statistical story would you mind sharing the stats on the numbers of unarmed white people killed by police?

Oh, there were surely a lot of pent-up reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I watched the video in the link.

Williams seemed to be a bit dopey to be honest, like someone who had taken something. He wasn't bad, just didn't seem 100% coherent.

Everything was calm, Williams was standing with his hands against the car. The cop instructed Williams that he wasn't trying to put him in handcuffs and he repeated to Williams that if he didn't keep his hands on the car he'd put him in handcuffs, which seems like a reasonable request to me.

They searched Williams and found what looks like drugs, a note with white powder in it. The cops were being fairly respectful to him at that stage. Williams then took his hands off the car and the cop then said put your hands behind your back. The cop was following up with his instruction that if Williams didn't keep his hands on the car, he would be placed in handcuffs. To be perfectly honest, I don't see the cops doing anything wrong at this point. They attempt to handcuff Williams and he keeps saying why and then it looks like he starts to resist having the handcuffs put on him.

The screen goes black for a few moments so I can't see 100% what is happening but it seems like Williams is resisting having the handcuffs put on. The next scene is the cops instructing him to get on the ground. He's clearly resisting. He won't put his hands behind his back. The cops taze him which seems justified to me. He keeps resisting and breaks away and tries to run away. He then gets tazed what appears to be a second time (hard to tell to be honest).

At 01.30 he is on the ground and won't put his hands behind his back so they taze him a 3rd time. I don't see much wrong here other than they ignore the fact that he says he has a heart condition. But how are they know if he's telling the truth or not, all while he is resisting having the handcuffs put on him.

Is saying you have a heart conditon now a thing that you can say while resisting arrest to stop the cops tazing you?

I don't see the cops having done much wrong here to be honest. He was the architect of his own misfortune. If he kept his hands on the car or if he allowed himself to be handcuffed, and if he didn't resist, he wouldn't have been tazed.

This incident is wildly different to the Tyre Nichols case.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

" One body camera video shows cops telling Williams if he does not place his hands behind his back, they will fire a Taser. "

So what I can gather from this is that Williams did not place his hands behind his back ?

• Advertisement

He wouldn't let the cops handcuff him so the answer to you is yes.

The video footage is in the OP post.

Or you could watch the video and see what's happening when that happens, like the suspect already being beat to hell, other witnesses waved guns at by police, and while explaining his heart condition in response to all the tazing is talked over with these threats and tazed again.

I bet if he watches the video, he won't see what you seem to have seen above. It's clear as day that Williams was resisting. The cops were trying to put him in handcuffs and he was not being beat to hell.

You need to go see these guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If he kept his hands on the car or if he allowed himself to be handcuffed, and if he didn't resist, he wouldn't have been tazed.

How do you know that? I could easily say they could have taken him around the corner and beaten and tazed him to death.

Do you think young people being mass executed by police will make them more likely to corporate or more likely to try and get away?

I'd 'resist' too if an officer told me 'I don't wanna put you in cuffs' and then almost immediately proceeded to do just that without communication.

Whereas all the dozens of hours of LIVE PD (e.g.) I've watched indicates that when a cop knows they're being observed (as, for example, by a live television audience) they would have easily first communicated to suspect what they found and for what reasons that was putting them in handcuffs. They'll especially give a suspect ample more opportunity to verbally incriminate themselves with their reactions to the findings. All we see in the camera is a $1 Bill then it's straight to cuffing. All the drug arrests I saw on live television and they didn't ever just do this, they happily and positively indicated their evidence for the cameras and the suspect alike. Some states even recognize a right to resist an unlawful arrest ... including North Carolina.

North Carolina

North Carolina’s laws about resisting arrest are very broad. As a result, resisting a false arrest is almost always considered illegal. Even in conventionally clear-cut cases, you will still have to prove in court that you were in the right to resist arrest.

Resisting arrest in North Carolina is tricky to navigate because of the extremely small margin of error their laws provide, as well as their complicated sentencing process. You could be convicted of resisting arrest for not only actively opposing your detainment, but also any other interference you may make as an officer tries to carry out the law.

It also applies to any and every situation in which a police officer is doing their job, not just an arrest situation. Furthermore, there are no specific examples of what constitutes this kind of resistance-it could be anything from verbal arguing to a full-on fight. For these reasons, it is recommended that you avoid any type of resistance with police officers. You may pursue legal action for inappropriate behavior after the situation has concluded.

How about that.

They tazed him for the recommended time also (5-6 seconds). It was a textbook case of good police work with a tragic ending .

What leads you to believe it was an unlawful arrest?

Officers were patrolling nearby businesses when they came across a vehicle that was occupied by Williams and noticed an open container of alcohol and marijuana inside, police said.

The officers tried to arrest Williams for possession of a controlled substance after they found a folded dollar bill with white powder in his pocket.

Seems like a valid reason to arrest someone to me.

It would be so why not articulate that to begin the arrest? Why tell someone from behind you’re not going to be handcuffed if you cooperate so you do and within 10 seconds or so are being cuffed without explanation.

• Advertisement

Advertisement