Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭sk8board

For a one-shoe ‘rotation’, the endorphin speed will be the one you want. Most of use have used it and love it. I love the 1 & 2, and will get the 3 in the next few week as I tick over 900km on the 2’s.

there’s always a sale somewhere, so you should get it for €120-150 ish somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭token56

Wow that site has some fantastic deals. Need to resist temptation!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Totally agree, you won't go wrong with the speeds. Lainey has posted up a great deal there for the 3's and you could also look for good deals on the 2's. 3's are a little more stable than version 2 but you won't go wrong with either in my opinion. I've had all versions and get about 800k's out of them and it's more the ride goes flat rather than excessive wear and tear on the soles or uppers -> well made

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Yeah the speeds are super. Love them for easy and long runs and I got the pro 3's for intervals and tempos.

I also invested in the Nike Zoom Fly 5, not a great runner but good grip for the current conditions.

Endorphin Elite should be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 sanbenito

Thanks for the advice on the Endorphin Speeds, I picked a pair up on runningwarehouse.eu for 134 quid, McKeevers only had the Womens version on sale

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I'm on my 3rd pair of speeds & awaiting my 4th. I've had the speed 1, Pro 1, Speed 2 & the 3's ordered. Really can't fault them as an all round runner & even better when you get them at a bargain price!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Picked up a pair Brooks Hyperion Tempo this evening at €90 in Elverys. First time wearing them so interested to see how they perform in sessions/races.

Reviews are all fantastic for the Hyperion tempo, indeed I only saw a review online last night of the new one Hyperion Max.

Borrowed a new pair just a few days ago to try them - they’re great for intervals or tempos - but personally I’ll stick with the New Balance Rebel - they’re both identical in their use IMHO, but the rebel is as soft as butter and the Hyperion is firmer

• I've got 2 pairs of speeds 2 and pro 3. I won't buy any other shoe now. Maybe the elite in a sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sibeen99

Hi, I’ve been looking at getting the Saucony Speeds for some speedier sessions. I’m currently wearing the Saucony Guide and have worn some type of stability shoe forever. From reading comments above many of you are wearing the speeds as a daily trainer. Should I look at the Pro’s? And size wise will I be ok getting the same size as the Guides?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

I have used speeds for daily and for speedier sessions. They are great for both, I think at the price of the pro's that it's probably overkill for speed sessions. I have pro's for racing and besides breaking them in / getting used to them with a few speed sessions, I've kept them for racing. The speed 3 are a bit more stable than the speed 2's as they a slightly wider but I wouldn't get hung up on it.

Thanks for that. I'll try the Speeds and see how they go. Seem to be some good deals on the 2's on Sportspursuit and Sportsshoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Up to size 13 back on sale. Also a very good price on the Axon 2, particularly the price of the black ones.

https://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/saucony-0123?p=2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Many thanks for that. Came in at €64 delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭event

Anyone use Altra before?

Looking at potentially getting a pair of Altra Lone Peak 7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

If you are not in a hurry, I mean waiting at least 6 months 😊, there is a strong rumour that the next version of the Saucony Tempus will have a composite plate which will make it the best shoe ever for somebody who requires a bit of support in a super light and comfortable shoe.

Thanks for this Glencarraig. The Tempus wasn’t even on my radar so I’ll certainly keep an eye out. It sounds just like what I’m looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

What sort of lifespan do you get out of a pair of shoes? I bought a pair of NB 860's 3 years ago this March. I've only clocked a small amount on them in that time (700km).

Plan to increase my distances this year so just no idea if I should be looking at new shoes or belt on with what I have?

I’d buy new shoes if I were you. The shoe foam goes dead over time. you’ll notice wrinkles and creases in it if you look up close. That means the foam isn’t returning to its original thickness any more.

I usually try to get 8-900km from a pair, but only if they are still feeling like they did at say 2-300km.

You can also usually feel it in your knees late into a run if the foam is dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭28064212

It's highly dependent on the shoes in question. I have over 1,300k on a pair of Nike Zoom Fly Flyknits, and I still feel comfortable taking them out for all but the most taxing sessions. On the other hand, I had a pair of Reebok Forever Floatride Energy 2s that just felt dead after less than 500k.

One way to improve your ability to identify when shoes are end-of-life is by having a couple of different pairs at different stages in their cycles in rotation at the same time. I have seven pairs on the go at the moment (excluding raceday-specific pairs) with various distances on them, ranging from the aforementioned 1,300k down to the pair I got two weeks ago with 35k on them. You start to get a feel for how long is left in their cycle when you're rotating between them.

Now, seven pairs is a bit excessive (unless/until you're running every day), but two or three pairs is certainly worth your while investing in. If you're going to continue running, buying them in parallel isn't anymore costly than buying consecutively - three pairs in rotation last the same amount of time as one pair repeated three times. In fact, there's an argument that rotating actually increases the distance you'll get from each pair, as the cushioning has longer to "recover" between runs.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Makes perfect sense.

I'm a mountain biker so the running is an additional exercise thing rather than a single sport but defo can see the merit to having a couple of pairs in rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭shanec1928

How long do orders from sports shoes normally take? Have a order that’s been sitting with fast way the last three days held for customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭marathon2022

I pulled the trigger on a pair of Hoka Mach 5 for daily training. Bergfreunde.eu(Used them a couple of times before) only €92. I have a pair of Hoka Speedgoat for my rare mountainy messing but never wore Hoka road shoes 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

I ordered from them at Christmas and took a good 2 weeks, mind you I placed the order on Christmas Eve so there would have been a few non-working days in that period but still I'd say they are on the slower end of the scale for online ordering. They came in the end though so that was the main thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Ordered off them recently and took exactly a week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Hoka One One Speedgoat for offroad.

Atreyu Race and Base for road racing and training respectively.

simple, affordable running shoes | designed & tested in Austin, Texas – Atreyu Running Company

The latter deliver to Ireland and I have a cousin who "shoe-mules" for me from the states regularly.

100 usd for a carbon race shoe,not too shabby!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

As a somewhat ageing runner, with gangly legs and maybe a little on the taller side - I just cannot take to carbon plated shoes properly.

I've tried a few, Adidas adios pro (1 and 2), Next%, Asics metaspeed - I just don't enjoy running in them. Now, I accept I probably SHOULD just run in them for certain races and certain sessions and I will.

Coming out of XC season where most work was either easy running on the slop\track....I've really enjoyed running with lower stack heights, even using racing flats on some recovery runs\drills.

Now the road season is upon us, I'm looking for something to race in that hasn't got crazy stack height and is a bit more lie the old adios\tempo models - or even some of the Nike models pre carbon plate. The problem is, it looks like adidas\Nike\asics etc just don't make these shoes anymore.

Tempted to get the new Adidas SL model but beyond that I can't see anything

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

DD - try Reebok Floatride 4 or Puma Velocity 2 - I think they can do almost everything.

But I do love my Carbons for sessions!! The Reebok Floatride Energy X is a great carbon shoe - it feels like a normal shoe and can be worn for easy runs - but I've used them for everything from 5k paced reps to Marathon stuff to long easy runs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

What's your definition of low stack? Still plenty of options out there, but requires some research.

Here's some of mine filtered by 30mm or less.

Post edited by BeepBeep67 on

Advertisement