Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"GAA star in alleged scam" Mod Note on page 1 and 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Dayo93

Janney mackers ,salt of the earth GAA people all will be forgiven.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭doc22

Revenue might want a wee look to. A million euro in cash transfered. Was all that money declared for tax purposes.....Were did the donees get the cash and a possible CAT liability too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

Herself and I wish it was a scam. Don’t worry, we will get the funds together as a family, all I was trying to say is it’s disgusting to con people when there are genuine and tragic cases of cancer patients out there. Shame on him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I doubt it's gambling though even if that is the mitigating excuse used. It says in some of the reports that when approached by victims who threatened to go to AGS he repaid the money to some of them. Of course it could be some sort of weird ponzi scheme whereby he thought he could repay people from other peoples money which he fraudulently took.

Seems to be all about greed with those siblings and not willing to match their lifestyle to their means. He had wracked up some serious debt when you look at it and I don't think he was smart enough to be able to deal with that. Did he ever have a real job as such or did he just live off his legacy? I know he sold cleaning supplies for a while before that went down the pan. Always seemed to be knocking around golf courses and that.

It's the sons and other family members who you would feel empathy for.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Why he could not declare bankruptcy like Normal people and go from there is beyond me.

He would always be employed as a hurling coach. Bottom line he just had to support himself.

Countless men separated and bankrupt had to start again and the vast majority didn't do this.

He would have had the world of back up to get going again.

Back up that an ordinary punter would not have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭monseiur

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Living the high life. Playing golf. It wasn't down in the local pitch and putt course either. The Judgement was grant at kilkenny Circuit Court.

He could haqve made a decent living from Hurling management and coaching. Even clubs in the country would have paid him a fair few quid and factor in punditry etc he wouldn't have gone hungry. I've heard of some clubs paying up to 40k a year off the books. It seems that the lure of being able to drop 5k in a designer shop is too much for this lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Fotish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

You can be sure he was pulling all that money all along too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,897 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Can't see this guy getting jail time. We aren't tough enough on criminals in this country.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I've become immunised to reports of "GAA Stars" over the years, since according to the media there's no such thing as a GAA player who isn't a "star". The headline will say "GAA star in court for X" then you read the details and it'll be someone who never even played above Intermediate club level.

This is one of the first times (Diarmuid Connolly maybe...?) I've seen it used concerning an actual big GAA name, and names don't get much bigger....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Worked for Ivan Yates....fecked off to Wales for a year and came back debt free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,134 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Wasn't there even one elected to the European Parliament. We deserve what we get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

All the best to the young child and his family.

Just to add that local to me a family had a similar need to fundraise about two years ago; within about 6 weeks they raised well over their required 300k ( i think it was the number).

All the money was from local people using gofundme. Some of the most "careful" people I know donated vastly more than they would spend on themselves in a decade.

Childhood cancers is so obscene it changes everyone that is forced to look at it.

All the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

For hurling people, it cuts deep alright. He came across as such a nice person too. When people talk about the greats of hurling, his name is always in there.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭brokenbad

The only "Star" we are aware if is Kieran Donaghy....lol

But seriously - the term "GAA Star" is overused in the media nowadays and primarily used for clickbait purposes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tiobraid

Going on since at least 2015 when he was tagging himself in Seattle by the looks of it. Reading up old articles and the likes he doesnt come across as the most intelligent man in the world. Never trusted people with a permanent smile on their face! Surely the long list of previous ailments must now all be in question too. If he doesnt get a lengthy spell in prison then whats the point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

The worst was he targeted a family of a person who died of the same cancer he pretended to have

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4NZ8OHzQ0pc1Gt10HBdq8n?si=vJxLJeqFQlmWah2SYs2HKg

Good explanation here on how to spot a psychopath; a very high percentage of CEO, Cardiac surgeons and the like, and importantly conmen are psychopaths; or score very highly on that scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

Might be difficult to prosecute or bring him to court as he hasn’t set up a charity , so it will depend on individuals coming forward and bringing their own cases?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Lots of amateurs psychologists on here when the most likely reason for it is the person, or persons, are just greedy scum

To quote Rusty Cole

"People incapable of guilt usually have a good time."

If you want to be good at ripping people off having psychopathic tendencies would be a great starting point. Where "normal" people feel guilt/shame/empathy you feel nothing but can act like you do if necessary. Typically really good under pressure as they don't fear failure or its consequences.

Great qualities in someone operating within very fine margins inside your brain with a scalpel but the worst in someone presenting as a friend.

Not bad qualities in a free taker or someone excelling at an individual sport...

To understand something isn't to excuse the behaviour

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I héard on twitter prime time covering it but I doubt it at this stage can't see it happening.

He doesn't seem to have been charged so I can't see a show going ahead at this stage.

As for the amateur psychology out here - it is clear he is delusional because only a deluded person would so publicly take part in a fraud.

Beyond that who can say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

That fella, has a brass neck like a jockey's bollex. There no fear of his mental health.

And as for B.ie trying to be the most pious whiter than white platform by banning mention of the name, jesus lads, the dogs in the street know who it is. It is going around whatsapp and snapchat like wildfire. I have received it posted through numerous independent accounts.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

Even the GAA mafia won't get him off this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

It will be interesting to see if that happens. If it's all true then there is no justifying it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I'm still haven't who it is. A GAA star - is it a hurler or footballer. I've looked up but none the wiser but do know they are not playing now....I'm sure it will come out as it's a fairly nasty thing to do....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭GavPJ

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,117 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

You are none the wiser because he hasn't been named yet. Hopefully Prime Time tonight does a piece on him but as of yet he hasn't been named but the WhattsApp and Snapchat worlds are awash with details but nothing official from any proper source and he hasn't been named on other discussion sites either I think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement