Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us - HBO *Spoilers* See warning in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Thought Bella Ramsey was very good in that episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Watched episode 5 last night, top class. I thought that the character Kathleen borrowed heavily from Ginny, the character in Fear the Walking Dead. Very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

where did you watch station eleven? I cant see it on netflix, amazon, disney or apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

It's was on HBO Max but I think it might be available on StarzPlay via Prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

thats a pity. i'm not getting another subscription, i have more than enough already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

They used to do a free 7 day trial.

Although that's probably not long enough to get to watch all the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭trashcan

The bit last night when they all came pouring out to attack the group was a definite “Oh sheeeeeet” moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭omeara1113

I don't know but I think it's a rip off of the walking dead

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

and the walking dead is a rip off of the George Romero zombie films , it's a genre , there's a million zombie films/shows out there if ya want to say that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭Cordell

Not really, it's not even a genre that was introduced by TWD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,530 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm enjoying TLOU, but jez the hype is off the scale for this.

It's a good show. In fact a very good show, but many are calling it the best tv show ever. Come on folks, dial it back a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,225 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

And George Romero ripped off 'I am Legend' by Richard Matheson, who nicked an idea from Bram Stoker, who nicked an idea from Sheridan Le Fanu.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

We're in the world of Ones and Zeros. There's not much room left for your "Very good show" malarkey. It's either the best show ever, or sh*te.

Look at IMDB's scores for Episode 3. 50% gave it 10/10. 30% gave it 1/10. The remaining 20% was spread across 80% of available ratings!

It is a very good show. It's a faithful adaptaion (it takes some blinkers for people to call out how it's drastically deviated, it really hasn't).

What makes it deliver for me, compared to other shows/movies in a similar genre, is it's competency. So far it's not been reliant on cheap tricks, needless cliffhangers, clumsy character development. etc They've absolutely nailed the tone. Things are dire and bleak, but there are still moments of hope and optimism.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,530 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I was coming into it as a non gamer, so had no idea about it.

I'm only watching it as a TV show.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

some good 60's movies too on the theme of a virus, apocolypse, survivalist

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 19,225 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

^

I am Legend

• Registered Users Posts: 25,808 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

This is an adaptation of I Am Legend.

1 of 3 big adaptations along with The Omega Man with Charlton Heston and I Am Legend with Will Smith.

Simpsons fans will recognize Omega Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Gunner5

For anyone who enjoys a podcast I'd recommend the HBO Last of Us pod. Incredibly interesting to hear both Neil Druckmann and Craig Maizan speak about the show, the deviations from the game and what the thought process was behind some of the decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭trashcan

I’d agree. It’s very good. I don’t find that many shows that keep me engaged, which this has. Not the best show ever though, or anywhere near. Would have a long, long way to go to be up there with The Wire, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Narcos just off the top of my head. Never watched The Walking Dead, as the Zombie genre isn’t really my thing (apart from Shaun of the Dead, which played it for laughs.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Homelander

The Walking Dead was never brilliant but it was fairly decent for the first few seasons, well made, compelling, good zombie action, captured the post apocalyptic setting and the fact that humans posted more of a danger than zombies very well.

Started going downhill noticeably after S5 or so, and by the time Negan arrived (season 7?) it flat out was awful, I struggled through for another two seasons but gave up during S10, it was unwatchable in my opinion it was so bad, basically turned into a soap-comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,808 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

After a while I realized you could just watch episode 1, 5 and 10 of every season. Ever since the prison it was just spinning wheels for everything in between the first, middle and last episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,617 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yup. And then when they changed it to 16 episodes per season, you'd only have to watch Episode 1, 8 & 9 (mid-season finale/premiere), 16, and then maybe they'd have one decent character-driven episode somewhere in the middle. Plus it was a few seasons vs The Governor, then a few seasons vs the wilderness groups (cannibals, junkyard people), then a few seasons vs Negan's group, then a few seasons vs the Whisperers, then a few seasons vs the Commonwealth. Just the same thing over and over again.

One thing about TLOU and HBO in particular, is that they're unlikely to outstay their welcome, especially given the way Game of Thrones went. They only have a few seasons worth of storyline from the games to adapt (even if there's a third game which they get to adapt), but even then if anything they're more likely to do spin-offs or stories set in the world of TLOU rather than stretch the show out for as long as possible like TWD (and then do a bunch of spin-offs and side stories anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

As soon as we saw the paintings on the wall I was thinking "Oh God..... It's THAT bit!" One of the saddest bits in the game. Easy to miss if you just barrel through the game but if you take the time to seek out the notes and clues it's harrowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Gamergurll

Nope, I was trying to figure out how to spoiler post but couldn't, that's that then 😂

But one of the best parts of the game was the side stories with the letters you find, it was a brilliant addition, I agree with what was said above :)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭walkonby

What the hell age is Rutina Wesley’s character supposed to be? Given she is pregnant, and assuming they don’t have access to fertility treatments, she can’t be much more than 40 at most. But she also said she was an assistant DA, which would have been 20 years ago, so she must have been at the very least in her mid-20s at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭walkonby

Mixed bag of an episode. I liked the old couple, and Joel’s heart-to-heart with Tommy. The scenery was beautiful; the prettiest episode so far.

I didn’t like how abruptly the choice between going with Joel or Tommy was introduced; I much preferred how the game handled that, with Ellie running away first. Also found it a bit light on action—missed the shoot out on the dam.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah. Like the fantastic "Watchmen" TV series. 1 season. Done. Dusted. Maybe come back in a few more years if they think of something, maybe not. To cover everything, they will prob do TLOU in 3 seasons. Then, again done and dusted. Finito.

I pretty much gave up on TWD I THINK a season after the prison. As you said, it became more and more obvious that the episodes stated were the ones to watch and the rest was just filler.

IT reminded me of 24. After the 2nd season it became glaringly obvious that the show was divided into three 8-hour sections. Pretty much exactly on the 8-hour mark exactly: Episode 1 happens. You think it's about X. Then the cliffhanger on episode 7 would be the discovery of some (encrypted or damaged) evidence. Episode 8 starts. Chloe says "It will take us 45 mins to 1 hour (depending on ad breaks, Jack) to restore the file. Que the last min of episode 8. The reveal of.... either a trusted person and/or dead person doing something and suddenly it's now about THAT.

Repeat for episode 15-16

(Of course then you had lone-wolf Jack suddenly partnered up with hot new partner who was also shagging Jack's daughter. The guy was SUCH a Redshirt that they actually DIDN'T make him a Redshirt - Cos he leaked that he was finished filming his episodes. But he was never seen or mentioned EVER. AGAIN. Right?)

So, as mentioned before, while TLoU may not exactly be bringing anything especially NEW to the "zombie" genre, at least it's being efficient and not just spinning wheels like similar shows have.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,617 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The scene with the old couple was brilliant. If there's ever to be a spin-off, they're my top pick.

The scenes between Joel & Tommy and then Joel & Ellie were perfect. They really nailed the scene with Joel & Ellie.

I kinda liked how they handled Joel's choice of deciding to go with Ellie. I figured when we first saw Ellie's room when she came out of the shower that they weren't going to do the bit with her running away first. But in the game, after their talk/argument, there's a fight with raiders, then a short horse ride, and then Joel changes his mind and decides to talk Ellie. If anything he had far more time to think about his decision over the night this way. It does make things a bit lighter on action, but I don't think the episode really needed it, and it would have went against Joel's fears that he doesn't feel capable of taking care of Ellie any more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I really enjoyed that, loved the old couple, that’d be me and MrPc if we lived in the wilderness for 30 years 🤣

Love how they have built the relationship with Joel/Ellie. I don’t know game but am loving the show, can’t wait untiL next episode.

Advertisement