Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is housing really that bad or is it just another hyped up 'crisis'?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

How much of a "killing" do landlords make?

A few figures as examples would be nice to back up your claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This is the type of drivel I'd expect from Boyd Barret et al. Horse manure, which they can trot out as they won't ever be in government.

No landlords means no private (and no public funded) rental market. Folks going straight from the family home to purchasing a home? Realistic? Not for all. Are mcdonalds parasites for charging more for burgers than the sum cost of the raw ingredients?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Landlords 100% contribute to the housing stock. They contribute a house to someone else to live in for a fee. They provide a service that they charge for. Same as anybody else providing a service. Yes, they buy scarce assets and make a killing for doing next to nothing hopefully make a profit for providing this service.

I live in South Leinster. I can 100% guarantee that I personally know several people who have built houses to rent out. They'll be surprised to know that they didn't contribute to the housing stock in my town. I also know people who are renting out houses in my town for between €500 and €800. Not every landlord is charging a fortune. Yes, there are people in my town charging €1500 too but that's not the average. The average here is lower.

You are making it sound like it's a paradise for landlords. Sit back and roll in the cash. That's not really the case. Landlords take on an awful lot of risk. They could have bad tenants. They have to maintain the properties. Small time landlords who work can end up paying a tax rate of approx. 50%.

Let me ask you, if it's so good, why are so many small time landlords getting out of the business?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

There has been a housing crisis for the better part of the last 20 years (bar a blip between 2009 and 2013)

There is a massive lack of housing in the GDA, not that it's close to mammy, but it's where the jobs are. I don't think we should create an expectation that people should commute for hours each day.

Look at Dublin city. Barely a high rise in the place. The largest buildings are offices and churches. Why are there no proper 20-30 story apartment blocks? Why are there no high quality, high density buildings? Why is there just a sprawl of terraces and semi-Ds as far as the eye can see?

There's a huge demand for city centre living, just no political will to build it.

I acknowledge that there's not much choice out there but there are places to rent if people keep looking. Maybe not what you are looking for, i.e. a house but there's rooms to rent etc. That has to be better than sleeping in a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I've no problem with developers making a profit. I suppose the questions are..

a) are they reasonable profits, or are they taking advantage of a small, maybe somewhat closed market?

b) if it is the case that certain factors are driving up costs, eg lengthy planning applications, land hoarding, no high rise, why haven't these issues been resolved? I mean ffs this has been worsening for years and years.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

It's only bad if you're affected by it.

I earn good money and rent - my head is fried with renting.

My sibling earns low wage with their partner but they bought an amazing house in 2012 for about twice the amount of the deposit I will need and I forget the deposit they needed but it was relative pennies, if anything.

My sibling pays less than 200 euro a month on their mortgage. If I was lucky enough to buy now, my mortgage would be 1200 a month and I'd need 50k deposit. Oh and the property I could buy is a shithole compared to what they bought.

Meanwhile, my parents are always saying how my sibling has it so tough despite the above and they having new cars out the front.

But because I have a good wage they just think I have a great time of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If there are no landlords, then how do people who cannot afford to buy housing, put a roof over their heads?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Are you on drugs?

Do you really believe what you have written ther ?

For someone with your posting history I really thought you were beyond the posting quality of some clown you just repeats stuff they read on some internet page or in the put without giving it a second thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yep, it is bad. Three adult offspring struggling to afford rent and/or moved back home. Can't live where they'd like to work etc.

There are two significant demographics affected by this issue - those in 20-30s and their parents typically 50-60s. Others in between and older likely less affected.

But substantial parts of these two affected demographics are becoming increasingly pissed off. They are also voters, particularly those in 30s and 50-60s.

If I was FG/FF/Greens then I'd be very afraid of the next election as it won't be pretty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

All the landlords I know just bought a place and let the money roll in. Maintaining a property is by no means something they have to do. Plenty of them just don't bother.

Housing should be treated as a staple good, not some investors' playthings

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

1. If they bought years ago, they've already seen a massive increase in their net worth through the rising house price.
    2. If they bought years ago, they would have raised rents as much as they wanted pre RPZ. Up until a couple of years ago they could raise the rent every year by 4%...
    3. If their mortgage costs are shooting up, then it sounds like a bad business decision not to have a fixed rate isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I made an absolutely fortune……not

How does a large 3 bed semi for 120 per week sound? HAP would even pay 85 euro a week off it so all you’ve got to pay is 35 euro a week. Waste of space tenant I ended up with decided that it was only really worth the part HAP would pay. The most stressful time of my life trying to get the bastard to leave!

But hey, I’m a greedy landlord rolling in it with my carers allowance of 219 a week plus 85 for HAP then paying a mortgage, landlords insurance, etc out of that. And he was the poor hard done buy chap getting disability of 200 odd + working cash jobs and still thought that I owed him!

So I was a parasite, was I @ancapailldorcha ?

Great. Sample size N=1, therefore 'all landlords dont contribute anything'. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

I too am flummoxed at @ancapailldorcha's post. I always had them down as balanced and level headed. It is as if their brain has been infected with some sort of PBP/ULA zombie fungus.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

You are calling a group of people parasites. That in my opinion is hate speech. The fact landlords are not a protected group is irrelevant. If you have to resort to legalise to justify your hate you don't have an argument.

Your posts on landlords are information free. There is serious issue with a lack of landlords and rental supply in general. We've had some sort of rental crisis for roughly the last 10 years or so. All that's happened is that people like yourself have promoted hate against landlords because its easier to scapegoat landlords than fix the problem. It's no different to Brexit. Scapegoat the EU for all the UKs problems. You are scapegoating landlords for all the problems with the Irish property market.

The problems with the property market are far far more complex. The regulations in the Irish rental market are a mess and the only people who it really benefits are bad landlords and bad tenants who can abuse the system with very little consequence.

Thats before we talk about NIMBYs objecting to new builds and red tape that makes it cheaper for local authorities to buy rather than build.

But then again let's copy the UKs approach to Brexit and ignore the complexity of the problem. Sure isn't Brexit the best thing ever to happen to the UK(sarcasm). Surely the same approach will work wonders when applied to the Irish property market(Again sarcasm)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭megaten

Your opinion has to be backed up if you want it to matter to other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Agreed that SF cannot be any worse for housing than FG have been for the past 12 years. However the fact that they are now calling for mortgage interest relief to be brought back should be a bit of a red flag for anyone who thinks that they won't be prostrating themselves at the feet of home owners like all of the other parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You are on to a loser here. When you point out the obvious, you'll just be accused of being biased and having some kind of "hatred" or something similar. The regulars are gathering and sending out the batsignal for the rest to arrive and tell you how unfair life is for them, and complain that you aren't able to recognise that by getting a loan of other people's capital, and outbidding the next eejit for an already built house, and getting a very good return on said borrowed capital, they are single handedly keeping the economy afloat.

The problem is that landlords aren't a homogenous group. You don't seem to realise that.

• Advertisement

It's terrible with all these regulations. Sure I hear that the bastards won't even let the builders use pyrite or mica blocks, never mind stopping them from building firetraps like priory hall.

pointing out the obvious? the posters point was total nonsense.

can you explain how society would function without the service that landlords provide then?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

So Tenants get to be completely insulated from interest rates while landlords and home owners are? Why does one part of society get to opt out of interest rates? Other than ending all private supply of rental accommodation what exactly is your thought process here?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Same here actually. I don't post on this subforum very often, but I do read it quite a lot. Ancapailldorcha does usually seem to be very level headed. This post however is anything but!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭Francis McM

The cowboys, like those who made mica blocks and built Priory Hall, were not caught and punished in this joke of a country. Instead plenty of good hard working builders got crucified and left the game, that is why there are not more houses being built.

The government here charges VAT on new houses. In N.I. and rest of UK there is no vat on new houses.

Funniest post I've read in quite a while.

If you take out a loan, that's your choice. It is also your choice as to what type of loan. If you choose the "wrong" type, and it ends up costing you more, you don't get to cry until others subsidise you

Your point may be rephrased as "why should people who take out loans be affected by those loans when people who don't take out the loans aren't affected. It's not fair"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

It's the biggest crisis in the country. It has so many knock on effects. Hospital staff shortage probably because nurses can't get anywhere to rent and so move abroad. Same with teachers. Personally I lived abroad for a few years I've moved home for family reasons and I'm doing a masters atm lucky I can live at home atm.

But honestly I'm probably going to leave Ireland again once I'm done. I actually really love this country and miss it lots when I've lived away. But due to insane rent situation I can't see myself living here. I just don't want to have the worry and struggle of it when I know I can live elsewhere and not have the same issue.

It's a shame this country has so much going for it but unless you're earning serious money it's difficult for the ordinary person.

I suppose it might learn to function in the same way that it learned to function when the halcyon days of the absentee British landlord left us.

How on earth did we survive when we weren't forced into virtual serfdom so that some rent-seeking prick over in London, whose great-great-great-grandfather was granted a few thousand acres off the back of some massacre or land grab, could live a life of luxury.

Bring back the glory days of the Irish nation!

• Advertisement

how does someone in 2023 (not 1823) find a place to live if the option of rent is not there?

Advertisement