Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Does this count for all electric vehicles i.e. if you charge to 100% and then drive it immediately for say 300km is there no real harm then?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

About 8-10 years or 150k-200k km. At that stage the battery is no longer covered by any warranty.

None that you need to worry about. Technically speaking batteries prefer to sit between 25% and 75% state of charge at 21C at all times, with all charging and discharging at a very low rate. Then the battery lasts 100 years and still has 60-70% capacity 😁 Do we need the batteries to last 100 years? Of course not.

In practice, charge to 100% as often as you want to, as long as you don't then leave the car sitting for days. Like @slave1 said.

All these concerns about batteries and charging stem from the era of the early Nissan Leaf in 2010. It had no battery cooling / heating at all and it had such a short range that on a long trip you had to fast charge it many times. These cars are now 11-12 years old and most have roughly half the original range left. After all those years of abuse. Modern EVs are far more robust. So in case I haven't made my point very clear yet:

DO NOT WORRY ABOUT YOUR BATTERY 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Thanks for taking the time Unkel. I'm doing big e-miles anyway so I'll charge away to 100% every other day and drive on. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Also, a large fraction of the battery degradation is calendar based so even if you leave the battery standing unused it degrades (a bit). So high mileage usage is actually ideal usage pattern for an EV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭mickotoole

Hey folks, just wanted to get some advice here from seasoned EV veterans. I purchased a Model S P85D that was listed here (thanks Unkle) back in June 2021. It's a 152 and the battery warranty is until September this year. I've had zero issues with it since I purchased it and the battery is still good (Tessie app showing only 6.4% degradation on the battery). I'm kicking around the idea of trading it in and upgrading but unsure whether to take the plunge. Any advise for an indecisive tesla owner?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

What are you trading for? Hard to beat a performance S, you'll be disappointed by most comparison cars and the new S isnt here yet.

I had an S90D and went to an X then currently in a 3 RWD. Still miss my S!

Was the battery ever replaced?

Also there isn't much that you can upgrade to from a Tesla Model S. It's the daddy! Maybe a Porsche Taycan if you like driving (but the tech is way behind and the cars have issues) or a Lucid Air or new Model S but I don't think you can get either in Ireland yet. Or do you mean upgrading to a facelift Model S? That's what I did a year ago myself.

I was thinking along the lines of upgrading to a facelift Model S. It would want to be a significant upgrade for me to change it up. To answer your question Unkle I don't think that the battery was ever replaced it certainly doesn't say so on any of the documentation that I received with the car and I can't find any evidence of it either. When you performed your upgrade did you think it was worth it?

If the battery wasn't replaced yet, it's a bit of a ticking time bomb alright. Would I sell it because of that? Would that terrify me? No. If the worst happened, I would get an indy to fix the battery for me.

Was it worth it for me at the time? Well I went from my 2014 P85, with no autopilot, that had no general warranty left and only a few months battery warranty, with all tyres needing replacement and some body imperfections, to a near mint 2017 facelift 75 with FSD. Still under full Tesla warranty for another 8 months and battery warranty for 3.5 years. The old one had a meh interior - not up to the standards of a premium car at all. The new one has the modern white vastly improved interior, which is still pretty much the same as a 2023 Model S plaid. The upgrade didn't cost me as much as I expected. I am very interested in autonomous driving and I'm hopeful we will get access to the (beta) software in Europe soon.

• Advertisement

Ha! I found my post listing it here! That was a very sweet bargain alright, I am very glad that someone reading this thread got a good deal because of my posting on here.

And your response :-)

Yep! That's the post that launched my Tesla career!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Rotate your steering to the left fully and take a photo of the battery code which you can see from peering behind the front driver’s wheel. Stick the code in the internet and will tell you age and whether refurb

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Hi Slave, only just seeing this now. I took a look and the sticker must have fallen off as there's a section where it should be but there's no sticker :(

Any other advice on how to find information on the battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Is there a service menu in the S?

You'd need Scanmytesla App and a OBD adapter to check out it's health.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭RM Ernest

The same car given a wash with better pics now at 25k for a 1st edition e-niro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭joe1303l

I wouldn’t say it worth any more considering there’s 120K on it. Unless you do very small mileage it could be out of warranty quite quickly. 150K or 7 years whichever comes first.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Cheapest ever SH Model 3 at EUR 31,990 but has 96k km so out of basic warranty already rather then end of 2023 (drive train and battery are still covered, though). Has been listed since late last year and has lost about 8-10k off its initial price.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/tesla-model-3-sr/32483174

In fairness that is a well presented car but I'd like more internal photos on wear and tear

• Advertisement

I would hold tight and aim to get one for around €28k. It's bound to happen before the end of next month as people are desperate to get their shiny new Model Y and will accept offers in that region. Mark my words.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭fafy

Sounds like it. Many M3’s still way overpriced compared to a new 23 plate, its baffling, that someone would pay 38 to 40k for an up to 3 years old one, (many priced lime this on done deal)when 44,370, will get you a brand new one.

Private sales definitely way overpriced at the moment but reality will bite once the 2023 Tesla deliveries land here. Traders will have a little bit more leeway as they have to consider trade-ins, provide warranties etc. but I wouldn’t like to be a trader with 3 or 4 used Tesla in stock at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭RM Ernest

Baffling that people are still advertising used ones for more than the price of a new one.

Tesla Model S - €27,500

Now that is cheap! No mention about battery replacement done, which is a ticking timebomb in these if not done in recent years. Also 258k km, but these cars can do huge mileage without issue. Free supercharging.

Nice car for the money but most buyers would be afraid to take it on. If you could buy a decent aftermarket warranty it would provide some peace of mind but I don’t think they can be got here unless you’re a trader.

An honest list of comments which is nice to see, no CCS conversion which is an absolute requirement in 2023. First gen car, with real leather seats which can be quite slippy, no autopilot. As Unkel said, the battery is the biggest unknown. The car should have been sold last year when prices were mad high and it was still under battery/drivetrain warranty.

Anyone buying this will buy a large car with a Tesla badge, free SuC and a ticking timebomb. Tesla have nursed batteries on the 2012-2015 Model S through OTA forced software updates, all they want them to do is die out of warranty and make the problem go away through attrition of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Most of my family and friends would buy that Tesla. Why? It is because it is a Tesla, lately they've decided that Tesla must be a good brand in the same way they'll happily buy a Refub 4inch screen iPhone because surely all iPhones are good.

They would buy that because surely ALL Teslas must be good. They will NEVER research a car, not even a phone. They got on perceptions and price only. I think the days of Tesla buyers being all shrewd and do heaps of research are going to be diluted by used cars coming within financial reach of those who will not research anything. If the car does X on the day they look at it, then that will do it. If the salesperson says so as well, then that is fact.

As an aside I can see me being the phone and laptop fixer for family in the future being the "will you look at my electric car?" to only find out they intentionally refuse any updates and somehow managed to have 15 new screen on the display with only 1 app per screen. We all have a family member like that "but I like it that way".

That's a very real and scary issue now with electric cars in general, while they are getting mainstream for the first time. People have no idea about home or public charging, just buy one and find out it's not really working for them.

Please if you have family members that are seriously thinking of buying an over 8 years old Model S (so no battery warranty), tell them not to. These are not for the faint hearted. Battery could die tomorrow out of warranty and if they go to Tesla they would tell them it's €14k for a reburbished battery. It's really not unlike someone with no idea buying a 9 year old BMW M5, say 10-15 years ago. If the engine went, it would be a €25k fix.

Personally I'd buy one in a heart beat if cheap enough. If I had the equipment to get the battery out, I'd fix it myself. Only a few weeks ago I took apart a full BMW 400V battery (from a 2019 BMW 530e PHEV), only to re-arrange it and fit it to my own converted EV. All on my own with no help. But that weighed 150kg, not 800kg 😂

I don't have the equipment for something of that weight, but I know people that would be able to sort me out.

• Advertisement

But even IF you fixed it, you would be fixing the failed module and a short time later the next in line module would fail etc. etc.

This is what they have found over time in the States, newer refurb battery outfits (now 3 in the US) and buying crashed/flooded Tesla's for the battery modules and replacing in full. Replacing/refurbing a single module is now proven a very temporary measure

Advertisement