Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

government cant try all they want but with rates due to get even higher prices will have to fall to sustain any bit of demand. either that or more subsidies will be handed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

You do realise that every developer needs finance to build…it’s not like rate hikes only impact mortgage holders. A major cost to any development is Finance cost which has increased significantly with the rate hikes

anyone have a BP sub to copy this in here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

It’s not just Dublin but all across the country. They are mainly apartments that would cost more to build than current market prices.

once planning is approved value of land increases significantly and they are happy to sit on it till it becomes profitable to build or until rent increases to make it viable. No doubt the government will end up buying at some crazy cost or increase HAP so that the rent makes it worth while to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

its definitely worse this year but everyone’s situation is different. Generally though, we are selling a lot of lay offs (which we didn’t last year,) which will inevitably have an effect on the housing market.

from someone who works in tech myself, I have been reluctant to buy (first time,) I’ve a lot of savings but people need to remember that Ireland is a tech hub. 90% of the people employed in this sector are serving other countries (UK making up most of that,) to which their economy is in ruins. When tech companies need to chop it’ll continue to happen in dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

Still lots of bidding going on for turnkey properties based on offr.io in Dublin.

Probate sales, apartment with bad BER and unloved houses more sticky, but these come with a 250-300k additional costs anyway. So no real bargains. Just not the free money madness from last year anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,500 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Finance Ireland is a non bank lender if you read the article 80% of its lending lady year was for fixed rates of ten years. A bit of little to see here. Most trackers are 15+years old, this is pointed out again and again. 15-years ago 330k would have been a very substantial loan most would have been over 25 years max probably nearly half the loan repaid now. People who own a house 15-20 years are usually well set up at this stage ya they will cut back, probably not change the car this year, or maybe cut out a few weekends away. They are after ten years of very low repayments.

Teacher, Garda, Nurse or any public servant have got a 5-6% pay increase.

Take two of these earning 40k each lady year they could borrowed 280k@ 3.5 times income

This year after the pay increase the 40k is now 42.6k, give them an annual salary increment of 900 each and you have an income of 43.5 each. This year at 4 times income they can nearly borrow 350k.

Friends of my eldest lad young couple with a child paying 1400/month in rent for last few years were waiting and waiting. Bit the bullet and managed to get it sorted before Christmas borrowed 3.5 times income over 35 years ( 280k) repayments are less than 1k/ month 5 year fixed.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

Yeah this is what people forget, we're living in high inflation times and wages are going up a lot, this is one of the things countering interest rate rises. Inflation is forecast to be around 4.5% across 2023, so if house prices stay still or go up by 3 or 4%, that's a real terms decrease.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Believe me wages going up lot does not compensate for these interest rate rises.

Say family joint income 100k and borrowing 400k at 4x to buy 440k house.

On 400k mortgage if rate goes from 2.5% last year to 5.5% now that is 12k pa. On higher tax rate need 24k gross income rise to cover that. Unlikely got 24% increase in family income.

Wage rises will not compensate for mortgage rates going over 5%. Will be price correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

Mortgage rates haven't made anything remotely close to that kind of jump. That's comparing the lowest rates available last year to the highest rates available this year. It's still possible to fix a 2.9% rate with Bank or Ireland today.

Most forecasters are predicting that the ECB will put up interest rates by around another 1% this year and that may be the peak before they lower again. That could change of course but that's where the forecasting is.

Banks have huge amounts of savings on deposit which means they haven't needed to pass on most of the rate hikes, so I wouldn't assume the best rate someone could get is going to suddenly jump up by 3% over what it is today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

It's the stress tests for new lending that will be interesting. If new business rates get to 4% the stressed rate will be closer to 6%. Hard to see the level of allowed lending hold up at the levels seen over the previous 18 months. No doubt the gov will expand the subsidies or the shared equity scheme to try bridge the gaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Is that in Dublin? I'd be curious to know where you could buy a property in Dublin, or close to Dublin, that you could bring up a family in for €350k.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,500 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Outside Dublin down in the Limerick city area

Al you need do with a stress test is put the loan over 35 years of you are under 30, you might even be able to push it to nearly 40 years.

The defacto lending metrics are 4X wages

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

Buyers in their twenties are most likely:

1. Coming from wealthy families
    2. In very high paying jobs
    3. Buying somewhere less attractive ie Limerick.

Or some combination of the above. If people like that have any issue they can just wait a few years and save more. They certainly won’t be worried about stress tests.

People in their 30s like me can’t push the loan term out forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭byrne249

The rest of the country doesn't exist for Dubs clearly.... He made a point that the mortgage is cheaper than the rent and he isn't wrong. Doesn't matter where you go the mortgage is cheaper and will be for a while to come. If you left your dublin centric view behind for two minutes you would find that Athboy and Rathangan both offer houses for the prices you mentioned within 40 minutes drive of the city

• Administrators Posts: 53,754 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm not really sure this is true.

So far a lot of tech companies have announced layoffs, and I am pretty sure Ireland has not been proportionally affected in a single one so far. I'm happy to be corrected on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

I can tell you from working in the industry 12+ years in senior management that Ireland is used as a hub to house employees to serve EMEA (not just as a tax haven.)

With regards to tech lay offs in dublin it’s important that we consider the economy as a whole across Europe, Middle East and Africa. Irish employees in comparison to UK for example as massively underpaid (cost of living considered) to serve these regions with most of the exec level decision making happening out of London.

Tech companies expected a bounce back in 2023 but again speaking from experience (not to sound like a d*ck) this is not looking likely. The first 1.5 months of 2023 are showing -26% YOY as a whole in tech sector generally speaking. Prior to covid it was consistently 15-20% YOY growth and 30-35% YOY Growth (in terms of revenue) from 2020-2022 resulting in massive overhiring.

Not to go off topic but as mentioned, these tech companies generally have senior decision making power in London. They are the ones making the decisions on who and where heads should be chopped, post Brexit (hopefully a coincidence) there is massive unease between regions and not just politically - you will see them lay off people in dublin quicker than UK.

To date, most lay offs have targeted roles in HR, finance, recruitment and basically any back office operations that can be streamlined. Sales has yet to be hit as they look to boost revenue, however, hiring more sales people (which is mainly what Dublin is used for) won’t fix the issue. They will be next to go and the fall out will be much worse than what we have seen so far re: tech lay offs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

I agree which is yet another reason why prices will have to come down as construction companies will be hitting the wall in the next 12 months as the demand is going to be falling off a cliff with at least another 2 interest rate hikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,042 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Non bank lender so they don't have the deposits to offset the borrowing interest rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Would be interesting to know how old the planning permission is on various developments that have not yet started to guage how much investors are using the planning system to increase the asset value rather than any genuine intention of actually building.

You can see with such an inept, incompetent government how this practice would pay significant dividends

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

While higher borrowing costs have dampened activity in property markets across the globe and led to negative price growth in some higher-priced markets, prices here are expected to keep growing in 2023 but at a much reduced rate.

makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Am I reading this correctly that prices still up 0.3% from November 2022 to December 2022?

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-rppi/residentialpropertypriceindexdecember2022/keyfindings/

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭6ix

I wouldn't disagree, but I think the effect on the housing market is questionable. Tech multinationals account for something like 3% of the workforce. Even if those companies laid off 50% of staff, it's not going to cause a huge shift in such a tight market.

The job market is still really strong too. I know 6 people laid off in tech recently who are already in new roles, all with an extra few quid in their back pocket from redundancy. Unless we really start to see a big economic slowdown, most will get new roles quite quickly, which also reduces the impact.

There are plenty of other factors that are having/will have an impact on prices - but tech layoffs are not a massive factor IMO.

It would be a mistake to discount tech layoffs. What proportion of the market can afford current prices and nose bleed rents, I would suspect that quiet alot of that category would be in big tech.

I agree that redundancies and quick new job may result in a short buying boost but would imagine incomes for future sales rents would be reset at lower levels

Can't really agree with this.

Firstly, I don't know where you get the idea that the decisions for layoffs are made in London. There is no "generally" argument to be made here. Even within individual companies, the people making decisions for layoffs will based all over the place.

I also don't know where you got the idea they'll layoff in Dublin faster than the UK, a claim particularly odd since only a few sentences earlier you said (quite correctly) that employees in Ireland are cheaper than employees in the UK (and a LOT cheaper than employees in the US).

"Sales has yet to be hit" is absolutely untrue. Sales, marketing, finance, operations, HR, recruitment, engineering, there's been layoffs across the board to date.

We can look at the facts, in that Ireland consistently avoids the headline rate when it comes to layoffs, or we can take the glass half empty approach and spin this to suggest the only reason we haven't seen loads of job losses is cause they're coming later.

It'd be great if you could post up your source for the -26% YoY growth too, because I am curious.

Well given houses are still easy to sell, and given rents are still increasing, it seems like a very large portion of the market can still afford current prices and nose bleed rents.

Lagging data v current future trends

Market also heavily distorted by investment funds, Government, ahbs etc

Reduction in high salaried big tech employees may influence investment fund activity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Four days ago, RTE reported that companies are having difficulty recruiting staff because they cannot find housing. This is yet another reason to evict defaulters immediately (as opposed to letting them continue to occupy houses for years into their delinquency). The reason defaulters default is because they can`t pay but a working person could pay. So kick out the defaulter, sell the house and the person with the job could buy it. The evictees could muddle along just like others have to i.e. the renters, the homeless, those living with their Moms and such like. At least it would solve the problem for companies trying to recruit and retain staff.

Of course, companies could offer to pay their new recruits more but if all companies did that, it would not solve the problem as it does not increase the housing supply and in any case it would make Ireland`s cost of labour uncompetitive.

I doubt that banks will start evicting defaulters en masse though. Anti eviction legalities, and other government ploys to prevent houses going on the market will stay in place. Keeping houses off the market is the government`s way of keeping house prices high. The government will sacrifice anything, including the country`s competitiveness on the alter of maintaining elevated house prices.

Advertisement