Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭jimmythesulk

1. Dean Mason 2. Paddy Deegan 3. Tom Kenny 4. Darren Mullen 5. Cillian Buckley 6. Conor Browne 7. Conor Fogarty 8. Killian Doyle 9. Ronan Corcoran 10. Paddy Mullen 11. Walter Walsh 12 Richie Reid 13. Padraig Walsh 14. Martin Keoghan 15. Shane Walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

😂😂😂

Clearly, Marooned wasn't referring to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport-columnists-gaa/arid-41070899.html

Great this is finally being discussed.

For me there is now no solution but to ban the handpass.

It (along with fanatical “coaches” who do nothing except dream up ever more devious ways to bend the rules and spirit of the game) is going to destroy the game as it slowly but surely eventually did to Gaelic Football.

And, great that it looks like we will finally get movement on hurley dimensions.They are way too short, and the bas is way too big, making the game ridiculously easy.

People marvelling at lads pinging the ball 30 meters to a player’s hand. I can hit a ball far more accurately now in my 50s than I could 30 years ago. Has something incredible happened that I can now master skills I struggled with when I was young? Yeh, right!

The thing I have in my hand makes hitting the ball cleanly (especially over short distances) ridiculously simple.

The GAA needs to move on the hand pass, steps and hurley size before it's too late and what we have is a lacrosse but with players allowed to throw the ball to each other and sprint 10-12 meters with ball in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,247 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

No he is not. He trolls threads pretending to be from Limerick including the Limerick one but is a Clare man.

Ok, just for a bit of fun (and stretching things a bit with Colin and Joey 😀)

Murphy, Butler, Lawlor, Joey Holden, Blanchfield, Walsh, Joe Fitpatrick, Cian Kenny, R Reid, Billy Ryan, John Donnelly, Eoin Cody, Richie Hogan, Colin Fennelly, Billy Drennan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭jimmythesulk

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

Hopefully we'll get more than a token effort to address this scourge soon, I wouldn't be too hopeful given that we've been here before. At least we seem to be moving on from the bull about players increased S&C leading to a situation where players can handpass the ball faster than the eyes can see and also stop highlighting the odd wrong call that refs make when trying to clamp down on this cheating

Not sure I'd go as far as ban the handpass, (but would the game really that much poorer without it, I can think of only a few truly outstanding handpasses over the last few decades) but you couldn't ban the handpass without addressing the tackle and you can't address the tackle without first addressing steps.

Concerning the hurl, it's beyond me that there could have been such a relaxed attitude to the regulation of something so intrinsic to how the game is played, the fact that I can play a game with a hurl with bas size almost twice that of the regulation size, made of bamboo or any other material that is proven to increase striking distance and no one questions it is nuts. Now the regulations will be changed to reflect what is going on, rather than ensuring the regulations were adhered to in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

I think they can start planning without Drennan, he's a definite starter for the seniors now surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭KK36

Not an expert but I'll have a go.

1. Eoin Murphy
    2. Mickey Butler
    3. Huw Lawlor
    4. Tommy Walsh
    5. Conor Heary
    6. David Blanchfield
    7. Richie Reid
    8. Adrian Mullen
    9. Patrick Mullen
    10. Eoin Cody
    11. TJ Reid
    12. Joh Donnelly
    13. Billy Drennan
    14. Martin Keoghan
    15. Richie Hogan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Joey definitely won't be in as he's gone travelling, I wonder was Colin asked back in, I'd have him in the team anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭kk.man

When we start asking lads back we are at nothing. We need to clean the cobwebs that are there imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Marrooned

A some of ye weren’t listening only players who were available most of the shamrocks regulars not available.

I was waiting for that reaction from you. I think those that at least put up their starting 15 were having a bit if fun.

Let's see what the experts come up with.

It actually might not be a bad idea for every player a poster wants dropped, there should be a replacement named.

And back to last Sunday's team and Marrooned's request.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

There's a motion going to congress to relax the u20 rule something like you can't play both that and Senior in a 7 day period hopefully it gets voted through, u20 is being run on a round robin this year, think the final is in May so round robin could start early enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Rosita

Funnily enough I have heard people in their 50s coaching school teams and the kids think they must have been amazing hurlers because of what they can do with distance and accuracy with a hurley and ball.

But they struggled to do the same 30 years ago. Nearly impossible to have that conversation though because some people will put it down to fitness, strength, conditioning, improved technique, everything that does not explain why a 50 something now finds basic skills easier than when they were younger and practising them all the time.

What you say chimes with what I hear regularly but it's a view that gets little air.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭davidx40

Does anyone here see us not coming out of Leinster this year .......

I thought we wouldn't get out of Leinster last year and was proven very wrong. I think we will get out this year.

Marrooned was asking for the team some experts wanted to line out last Sunday from what was available to the manager.

Regards your team, I'd have D Corcoran at 7 and Cian Kenny instead of R Hogan.

if Richie Hogan is fit to play inter county hurling, he should be the 2nd person of first 15 selected,

if he isn't fit to play IC hurling he shouldn't even be training with the senior team.

How hard is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Shocks12

Murphy

Butler Lawlor T.Walsh

Blanch Reid. Heary

Mullan Cian Kenny

Cody. TJ. P.Walsh

B.Ryan Wally. John Donnelly

Need a better no 6.

Maybe Drennan will be on it.

Richie Hogan played 5 mins last year what will change this year?

• Advertisement

MOTION 9: The motion is to replace U20 with U21 at inter-county level with a minimum age of 18. Restrictions on senior inter-county players fielding will remain in place.

MOTION 10: Wexford's motion proposes staying with U20 age grades at inter-county level, however restrictions on senior players featuring is to be relaxed. Players can play at U20 and senior, but can only play for one of those teams in any seven day period.

Fingers crossed Motion 10 gets passed at Congress this wekend. It's a daft rule that devalues the U20 competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

Agree 100%. Last years competition was a farce. Some of the best players watching from the sideline. Asking Kilkenny to potentially play without Billy Drennan is a joke and completely devalues the competition. If Kilkenny do not proceed out of Leinster without Drennan then the Leinster champions to me are completely downgraded.

In order to not qualify Kilkenny would probably need to lose to Galway, Wexford and Dublin. That won't happen.

Hogan is in his 35th year and has been injury-ravaged for several years and has had extremely limited game time in the last three seasons. This chapter needs to be closed. Kilkenny do not have the strength to be able to carry a guy just for a lap of honour and pick up an All-Ireland medal as per Shefflin in 2014.

Hogan played the entire season for Danesfort and played exceptionally well throughout, so clearly he was fit in 2022.

As I said above, for me the equation with Hogan is simple. if he is fit, he should start (it is insane for anyone to think we have 6 better forwards than a fit Richie Hogan). But if he isn't fit enough to play modern inter county hurling, I too hope Lyng tells him his time is up.

Hogan's treatment by Cody, throughout his entire career (but especially since the sending off in 2019) in my opinion reflects terribly on BC

Is Senior inter-county not a world away from the Kilkenny Intermediate championship in intensity and physical demands? Most players soldier on with their clubs after the decide they can't keep going at inter-county, sometimes for years.

Presumably BC was playing with a straight bat and called the Hogan situation as he saw it? If he really saw him as a viable championship option he'd have used him more often? I think there's an argument that Cody was in fact weak in not just making the call and lowering the curtain on the career of a player he did not see as a central player anymore.

Kierans play Loughrea on Sat in AI Quarter final. I assume winners play Cashel (Harty winners) in semi.

I was surprised Colaiste Eoin (now play Thurles) beat Good Counsel but less so when I saw teams.

Neither Eoghan Lyng or Danny Glennon lined out for GC. Are they injured? I would have assumed both would be mainstays of the team by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kentu

Danny Glennon Had wrist surgery I do believe, not going to be part of u20 squad this year either. Don't think Eoghan Lyng has played any bit since minor final with his club last year due to an operation also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

Danny Glennon has been an outstanding minor. Great turn of pace. All the best in his recovery. Must be serious if out of the u20 competition. I have not come across Lyng

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I was talking to a tullogher man who said glennon will be under pressure to get back for the u20 which is a shame. A really good prospect. I seen Lyng last year and he looks to be the real dea. I know he was poor in the u19 final against ttown but he's a god big strong player.

Advertisement