Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is housing really that bad or is it just another hyped up 'crisis'?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Is that Michael McDowell who was a Minister in Government at the peak of the celtic tiger?

The man is complete and utter fanny goat and has actually gazumped Leo as most compulsive attention seeker in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Rent typically does not cover mortgage costs. Even if a landlord is losing cash, they are gaining equity. So rent might cover half or 2/3s of their mortgage, and they pay the rest. But at the end of the day they are gaining equity in an asset. So renting at lower price than mortgage is totally viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭victor8600

Exactly, if the rent is 2-3 times more expensive than a 25 year mortgage for the same house, it is really not normal. At this moment, it makes more financial sense for a group of students to buy a house (if they have well-off parents) rather than rent it as a group, they will save thousands over the 4-year college term even with solicitor fees taken into account.

But I am not talking about students. When I was a student, I shared in dumps that would be honored to be called pigsties. I was very fit, why not do some exercises before having a shower (the one in the house was not working)!

I am talking about my educated friend in his 40s on a 50K salary, having to share a house with other people in Dublin. He could easily afford mortgage repayments, but he has no hopes in securing a mortgage. He is not looking for a free house, but if he could get a council house and paid his rent/mortgage to the council, would it not be a great idea? My friend gets to live in dignity and the state gets their money back in mortgage repayments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I would call the housing crisis the biggest issue the country faces. There is simply no stock, nothing to rent, government house building targets aren't met. Thus no matter if you have money or not there is nothing to rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

He is right on this subject... I know loads of people leaving their properties vacant in Dublin or selling them. Government created the issue... the lpt is so pathetic, such a token gesture, you can leave it empty, costs as good as nothing... another example of the banana republic taxation here... very low personal effective corporation tax , taxed on many companies with more money than God. Effectively no property taxes. Low paid contributing as good as nothing in direct taxes. But the peasants on 40k plus, losing half their pay, pay for everyone else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

And due to the spiraling costs of building, we aren't going to get an avalance of houses coming onto the market any time soon.

Down my way, one of my friends built a house two years ago for €300k. Same house today costs about €450 to build. I know this because my colleague is building the same house right now (same plans, different county).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭tinytobe

It's like the egg and hen question, one thing not happening if the other doesn't and the other won't happen, if this doesn't happen.

I'd say, it would take a similar crisis like the financial crisis of 2008 to solve this issue and it would be solved faster than just by building more houses and apartments.

The current crisis is certainly not "hyped up" as suggested.

Nowhere in the western world have I seen such long queues just to view one property.

Especially young people are better of emigrating again.

What is "hyped up" is that idiotic "Ireland is a rich country now". It certainly isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Jonathan2712

Just to offer a different perspective. I moved to Ireland six years ago from the UK. In the UK I worked in London but accepted that I couldn't afford to live in central London so commuted 2 hours each way every day, so as to afford a nicer home. When I moved here, we came over for a weekend and viewed a few rental places before picking one there and then. No issues what so ever. The rent was reasonable (compared to the UK) and the house was decent.

A year later we bought a place, again no problems finding decent housing, and the price seemed very low to me - again compared to the UK. The key to this was that I didn't want to live in Dublin, and I was conditioned to accept that housing is pretty expensive by all objective measures. As far as I can see - Dublin being the exception - housing here is very good value.

Edit to add: I'm new to this forum, and get that this isn't the generally accepted view. So please don't flame me for it.

Viable for who? Great for the tenant, not so great for the landlord.

Why are you expecting a landlord to provide a service at below cost? Yes, the house might be gaining equity but that's not a guarantee. How many people lost out in the 2008 crash? And what's wrong with gaining equity. Sure isn't the landlord the one who invested their money and are taking on all of the risk?

You don't expect a shop to sell you goods at below cost to them yet you expect a landlord to provide their service at below cost.

I see nothing wrong with a landlord seeking to cover their mortgage through the rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I've no doubt what you're saying is quite true and valid.

But I'm afraid there has been a big change for property in rural Ireland.

Previously when we had housing 'crisis' it would have affect Dublin and to some degree the smaller cities. Now it's nationwide.

Properties are still generally a little cheaper in rural areas but the gap is narrowing and there would tend to be less well paying jobs.

In think in the UK, historically a country house was valued a lot more than it was in Ireland and probably still is.

Taking his example.

A Landlord has a mortgage on a property that costs 1,000 a month to service.

He rents it for 700.

He is 300 short.

Then depending on his circumstances he may have to 50% on that.

So now he is 650 down. Certain things he can write off, but not everything so he could actually cost him more.

He would be better off putting his deposit and savings into a long term bond account.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

That is very true, outside Dublin places are cheaper.

But at the same time the cost of building (labour and especially materials) is more or less similar across the board.

So the house prices outside of Dublin are high relative to the location, and that means that buyers need bigger deposits, and bigger mortgages and interest rates are higher now as well.

And that all means that houses don't get built because they are more expensive to build and harder to sell.

We have to get building cheaper and thus selling cheaper.

Factory built units may be an option, but I don't think there is the capacity yet or the mindset to see them as a real alternative.

But, but, but, but aren't landlords all rolling in it, sitting back and watching the cash come in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Have they left the property yet? Gonna have a google

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Their 2 month extension is nearly up. No new reports on about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

You are describing a dumb F*

Anyone with sense knows .. you never borrow money to invest.

Exactly. So it doesn't make much sense for a landlord rent a property to a tenant if the rent doesn't cover the mortgage but some posters think that's what a landlord should do.

Letting small scale is generally great for looking out for yourself longterm when it comes to retirement, you have a nice asset whos sale or continued rent will probably support you to the grave.

The problem for most is that it will probably generate significant cost upfront, if you have a mortgage you probably have 25 years where you breakeven if you are lucky.

You are putting a lot of work in for a return 25 years in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭DataDude

The rent should at least cover the interest component of the mortgage (after costs, taxes etc.) for it to make sense.

A generic expectation that it ‘covers the whole mortgage’ makes absolutely no sense as this would be massively variable depending on the term of the loan for example.

The cost of servicing the debt is an input cost. Repaying the principal is not. I think that’s the (correct) point others were making.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Most of gen z cant afford to buy a house ,or an apartment, in a city .nurses and teachers are leaving ireland because house prices ,rents are too high compared with other eu countrys .We need doctors,nurses gardai to provide essential services .taxs on landlords are high compared with other countrys .many older landlords are giving up and selling the house ,apartments they own.

its a bad sign when a trained nurse or garda cant afford to buy a one bed house.trained nurses are leaving ireland to move to countrys where

they can afford to buy a house. theres a shortage of gardai all over the country ,young people are choosing jobs with higher wages .every economy needs a good market eg where theres a range of rental housing avaidable for workers on low wages or young students .not everyone can afford to pay1500 euro to rent a house.Landlords provide a vital essential service ,many landlords only make a small profit after paying expenses ,mortage and taxs .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

Because people would not buy them up to 10 years ago and associated them with Ballymun. Constant reference to political will as if we live in a dictatorship. We don't. The sad truth is that the Irish people need a crisis before they will change their mind on anything by which time it's too late.

Exactly - some posters seem to think that if a landlord is not getting a free house out of the arrangement that theyre doing charity

If your mortgage interest is covered, even if you are still out of pocket each month for part of the repayments, you are still earning as you pay down your loan and increase equity. If you stop thinking about it as a house and start thinking like an investment, it makes perfect sense.

You buy a house worth 300k. Lifetime mortgage costs bring it to 400k. If rents cover 50% of the mortgage repayment each month, and landlord pays the other half. At the end of the mortgage he will have gotten a 300k asset for only 200k of his own money put in. Sell the asset and you've made a cool 100k profit

Obviously the reality is landlording is more expensive, more costs associated, tax, refurbs, insurances etc. So the RoI is much lower. But you do not need to come close to having your mortgage covered by rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

If teachers and gardai can't afford houses what hope is there for retail workers and delivery drivers?

Remember those frontline workers we appreciated so much five minutes ago.

So, burst your hole and take a pile of risk for a theoretical €4000 per year but you've to wait 25 years for it. Nah, I don't think so.

Here's the thing you don't seem to be understanding. Landlords are under no obligation to charge cheaper rent than their mortgage costs yet you think they should be doing that. Great for renters if that was the case but it doesn't make much business sense for the landlord to do that. They are under no obligation to dip into their own pockets and subsidise someone else's accommodation in the hope that they'll make some money in 25 years.

The problem is after paying all costs (mortgage, insurance, management fees, maintenance costs, legal costs, capital gains tax, income tax, property tax, RTB annual registration) there is not much left over if anything until the mortgage is paid off. If an employers said if you work for me for 25 years and I'll give you a 100,000 when you retire instead of an ongoing wage I don't think they would get any takers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

I think they are meant to live in vans or share rooms for e700 a month or pay 1800 for a place pf their own that isnt a kip..meanwhile we give the pyjama brigade, free luxury housing...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It most definitely does cover the mortgage costs.

The cost of a mortgage is the interest btw.

• Advertisement

Mortgage costs from perspective of a recurring monthly expense or monthly cash flow, are the mortgage payments.

Looking at the entire loan then cost refers to cost of loan i.e. the interest.

Advertisement