Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭MudSpud

How is what I "want" relevant to this dicussion? Why do you want to know what I want?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The US exhortations that Ukraine abandon Bakhmut don't make sense to me.

Their narrative goes; conserve your resources, let them have it as it has no strategic value, concentrate on readying your forces for the big push, stall for time while all the training on the new goodies is going on.

I understand it in terms of what is being said at face value, and it makes sense for a couple of seconds, but when I think it through, I run into a few snags in the logic. The big one is, why do the Orcs stop at Bakhmut, as if that's all they want to achieve? Why wouldn't they just roll over it and keep on going, using the advantage you just handed them?

Ukrainian intelligence believes Putrid's current aim is to take and consolidate all of Donetsk and Luhansk, which makes sense as being the point you want to be at when you then start getting very serious about suggesting peace, which as we know, means we keep what we hold.

So I don't see why they magically stop at Bakhmut when they want all of Donetsk. They would keep going and you have gained nothing as this magic moment of a lull in fighting where you get to conserve your forces doesn't actually happen, and you have just handed them the advantage of having the infrastructure and cover of Bakhmut while they continue to push west, while you are now in the open. Resisting the take-Donetsk push does not get easier if you give up on every engagement of attrition and hand every settlement over while you are back to fighting in the open and they have the cover.

Surely the US suggestion isn't because they actually want Putrid to achieve his aims and the inevitable suing for peace, because that's the whiff I am getting from this suggestion to give up Bakhmut.

The Ukrainians are not stupid, and the fact they are steadfastly refusing to follow the US 'advice' on this suggests to me they probably don't see the point to it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,051 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Touché as they say - obviously hit a wee nerve with yer man there and no smoke without fire. Some rant off him, if the translation is good. Also note he claims to have spent 40 days on the 'frontline'. What frontline I wonder and where and when? Seems to be about all the time, has he been gone for lengthy periods in last year?

As for his sons, off with them to die for Russia - you can just hear his viewers muttering.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

By you comments its easy to see that you have never lived or worked in a war zone, and that's for certain sure!! You simply haven't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,395 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If Latvia seems to think it will be helpful, and Ukraine does too, given that "you can't see" perhaps you shouldn't be second guessing it without foundation based on exactly nothing?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,051 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

An interesting report in the Guardian today about software that generates & controls fake accounts. These bot accounts don't just replicate and spread stories, it seems they are also capable of making up coherent replies a la ChatGPT type software.

Given the international nature of this thread, you'd wonder if a few of the users who pop up here are not examples of above. Of course more likely to be actual human Russian sympathisers, but you couldn't rule out ai generated replies either from several. When you keep an eye on this thread over several months, you sense a certain pattern and patter in some users responses. A predictability. There the ones I'd be thinking could be ai bots. Anyone else think?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If Ukraine want to win they should trade territory for lives - russian lives. Let the Russians take territory after a long time and at huge military expense, and eventually they will have degraded their fighting capability so much that the Ukrainians can retake all lost territory with ease.

Bakhmut was worth defending when it was part of a greater defensive line - now that is no longer the case. After losing Soledar in the north and Klishciivka to the south, the entire city is within artillery range as are 2/3 supply roads. There is nowhere safe in bakhmut any longer which is why journalists have now been denied access to the city as of a day or 2 ago.

Continuing to pour reinforcements into Bakhmut will degrade their ability to launch a counteroffensive later on in the campaign, which is why US and others are recommending against it. They need to be at full strength once the Bradleys & Leopards and other material arrives, no good having all the equipment if you dont have enough fit and ready soldiers to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

For the third time or fourth time, they need vehicles. With wheels. Ideally military vehicles, but in the absence of those, normal cars will do. You do realise that behind the lines they have roads, aka 80% of the country and personnel need to get around. Get from A to B. For that they don't need a Hmmvv, which would be needed near the front, a Clio will do that job.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's just moving onto a new rathole after mudspud sh!t their pants multiple times over rt access.

There's no discussion, just explaining the same thing in simpler and simpler terms while polluting the thread.

• Advertisement

Feb 24th 2022, when all the tankies and Putin apologists scratched their heads in unison for a moment, then quickly adjusted their narratives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

QFT.

If MudSpud has any passing practical knowledge of this conflict, never mind some objectivity, he’d know that Ukraine and European-based UA associations have been requesting donations of civilian vehicles since Feb-March 2022, to assist with internal and external refugee transport, besides military and paramilitary transport away from the FEBA.

I gifted them a Merc C220 CDI last March or April, last I’d heard from LUkraine (local UA assoc., reg’d as new owner) it was in/around Donetsk, still helping with refugee transporting. That was July, IIRC. Quicksilver W203, RHD (ex-UK), Lux yellow plates (if still on them), if you ever see it in a photo, giz a shout 😉

We’ve organised and sent bigger and better since, notably firetrucks and ambulances, as have many other EU (and non-EU: UK) countries. There’s a **** ton of ex-EU civvy vehicles the length and breadth of Ukraine by now. It’s a big place, and the attrition rate was quite severe, until UA got its anti-air generally sorted more recently.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It also shows the difficulty Ukraine is having. One tank isn’t supposed to go around by its lonesome. We have quite a bit of footage over the past year of Russian tanks doing it, and then our saying “the idiots should have known better than to send a tank alone against infantry.” The technique isn’t any better just because the folks doing it are the god guys.

It worked for the Ukrainians in this case, but it’s still not a good way of doing business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

What's the point here, that what it returned isn't true?

Beverly Hills, California

And what are Ukraine's supporters doing?

Promise: January 7, 2023· - Finland is ready to provide Ukraine with Leopard 2 battle tanks if Europe gives it the green light, Antti Hakkianen, chairman of the defense committee in Finland, said..

Reality: Finland has not yet pledged tanks to Ukraine. Welt referenced a recent Wall Street Journal article from Feb. 9 in which a senior NATO official was quoted as saying Finalnd would likely not make such a commitment until it was granted NATO membership... The governments of the Netherlands and Denmark have announced that neither country will deliver Leopard-2 tanks, reports the German news source Welt.

Promise: UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has formally requested British Secretary of Defence Ben Wallace look into which RAF combat jets could be supplied to the Ukraine Air Force, following an announcement that London will offer to train Ukrainian fighter pilots for the first time.(months earlier Liz Truss had urged that fighter jets be supplied to Ukraine by it's allies, Boris has said the same thing)

Reality: Defence secretary Ben Wallace has said it could be years before the UK gives any fighter jets to Ukraine. The cabinet minister suggested it was likely that president Volodymyr Zelensky may even have to wait until the war with Russia was over before British aircraft was supplied.

Promise: The Netherlands foreign minister suggested they might supply F-16s to Ukraine, then they said they hadn't received a request for them, now that they have received the request, it's...

Reality: Dutch Defense Minister Kajsa Ollongren said Ukraine has formally requested the F-16 from the Netherlands.

“We have to debate this with our partners and also the United States,” she said. “This is something that will take time, and it is best done behind closed doors.” Ukraine is “very aware” that a decision will take time, Ollongren said.

That's a big no then.

This seems to be happening across the board, little green shoots of a couple weeks ago are all now witherd, brown and dead, as if someone's been going around in the shadows, spraying them with roundup. Either they are all suddenly caving to Putin's threats or someone else is changing their minds.

Given what I said earlier about the seeming strangeness of the US advising Ukraine to give Putin Bakhmut, and even earlier how every modern system they are giving them all had to be manufactured from scratch to have it's capabilities neutered, and now what looks to me to be them putting pressure behind the scenes to limit how much other countries are helping, I'm getting a feeling the US doesn't want Ukraine to win, despite what it says.

97% of Orc army in Ukraine and they are supposed to prevail without Jets, long range missiles, drones or warships.

And before someone tries to correct me on my misunderstanding about the long range missiles, I think i understand perfectly well, and it's GLSDBs, 9 months from now after they have been manufactured.

And for a still steaming, freshly deposited pile of dung, you really can't do any better than this:

US not ready to supply Ukraine with ATACMS due to lack of stocks

Ukrainska Pravda Tue, February 14, 2023

The US does not have enough stocks of long-range missiles, and therefore the country is not ready to provide Ukraine with ATACMS systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Netherlands had planned or hoped to send the tanks they are renting from Germany (after they purchase them) to Ukraine. Germany refused the request.

I already corrected you that any country wishing to send F16's needs American approval.

It will be interesting though if Poland calls American's bluff and requests an export license for their ATACMS to Ukraine, if US stock is an issue.

Switzerland Refused to Confiscate Russian Assets

Wednesday, 15 February 2023

The Swiss government has refused to seize Russian assets because it allegedly violates the constitution and undermines the existing legal order.

The Federal Council of Switzerland notes, amid international discussions and several parliamentary inquiries, the Federal Council asked the administration to examine the legal situation regarding assets currently frozen in Switzerland as a result of sanctions against Russia. A working group led by the Federal Office of Justice concluded that the confiscation of private Russian assets would undermine the Federal Constitution and the prevailing legal order.

The game Switzerland seem to be playing here is classic. In the face of criticism and a lowering of international opinion, they loudly announce they are considering changing their ways; they have seized Orc assetts to the tune of €17 billion, a third of the total in the country; they are re-evauating their neutrality and will look to supporting Ukraine with armamaents transferred to Germany (those armaments stay in Germany, they don't go to Ukraine, Germany sends them different ones - no, seriously...) because it's values are European and in alignment with their own.

And then later on, much more quietly, after the hook has been set in people's minds that Switzerland are one of the good guys agian: sorry, constitution says nein...

Ah OK. Well what it has returned is true. Even after you leading in with a loaded question about all of Europe invading Russia, it still only referred to the German's invading. The returned info on Ukraine is also true as of 2021 which is as far as its data goes.

I was under the impression that the term "putinbot" was being used to desribe anyone supporting Putin and I assumed all those labelled as such here were mainly real Irish people, not actual bots. I'd be very surprised if this forum is being targetted by Russian AI. In the grand scheme of it all Boards.ie is one of millions of local forums across the globe, that'd be an impressive outreach by them but I think their capacity is probably being used elsewhere, where it might actually have a strategic impact.

The neural networks ChatGPT uses couldn't be used for this purpose either but i'd imagine their own language learning systems are fairly impressive too, definitely a growing threat. If they somehow incorporated ChatGPT into their puppet accounts, they'd be the least opinionated accounts going and not really fit for purpose.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've been wondering about this myself. To be fair what I know about tanks has been gleaned from binge watching your vids and similar, which dashed the myth I had of the Tiger being only bleedin brilliant*... but surely commanders on both sides know this basic stuff? Even if you look at film of Soviet tankers in WW2 you nearly always see infantry in close support, same for the Germans, British and Americans. This goes double in anything like wooded or urban areas where all sorts of opposing nasties can lay hidden. I don't know if they were specifically trained to do this, but they certainly learned it on the ground through experience. One theatre you can see less of that was the North African campaign. I suppose wide open spaces of desert made the difference? IIRC in the Iraq war tanks with support vehicles like Bradleys ran ahead of the infantry.

*then again the "hero" kit tended to grow better with propaganda and over time. EG the Spitfire and P-51 were fantastic aircraft, but if had a choice of just one fighter from any side to go through WW2 with I'd pick Kurt Tank's FW-190 every day of the week.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Economics101

As far as the UK supplying combat aircraft is concerned, it's likely they don't have them to spare. They have barely over 100 Typhoons, heavily engaged in air defence of the UK and the Baltics. They have about 30 F35s, but there is no way these would be put at risk of falling into the wrong hands. The Tornados have been scrapped or are not remotely airworthy, and this is even more so for the Jaguars. At least the Netherlands and others are in the process of replacing F16s with F35s so they may have spare airworthy F16s available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ElitesTeam

Sounds like its only a matter of time before Ukraine falls. it would be best if they just surrendered for the citizen and infrastructures sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Economics101

Another one !!!. And he has absolutely nothing to say which has not already been parroted by his predecessors.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,395 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Did you draft this post eleven and a half months ago???

Or perhaps you can provide some evidence to justify this view.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Absolutely! Being ethnically cleansed is much easier than fighting. In a manner of speaking. But hey at least the power lines will be thankful! ☺️

And hook line and sinker, they all take the bait - again.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,407 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Did “Europe give the green light?”

and the other 2 aren’t promises??

Yeah the last I read was that most fake accounts used are being operated by massive numbers of people, but I still don't think those people have been tasked with targetting Boards.ie but hey, I could be wrong. If they are, that is a fightening extension of such a programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Electric Gypsy

This guy seems very well informed, whoever he is. He says that since May, the U.S now know where Putin is at any point in time. Is that true?

Although at the end here, he does imply that Russia might also try to take Poland! I think most posters here are agreed that Russia would not be able to take Poland after this, no matter what way it turns out, or how much they might like to.

Post edited by Electric Gypsy on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

If they need a milatary jeep but they don't have a military jeep then a 10 year old Clio will do until they can get their hands on a military jeep. Ditto for a 15 year old Clio, or even a bike, each of which is still better than nothing for transporting soldiers. It's quite simple really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

If he says Russia might try to take Poland then he's not well informed, full stop. Other fools have posted this line, they tend to be the same people who keep saying Belarus is about to enter the war.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement