Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,065 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Not bus lanes on the new road bus lanes on the old ones into town. And cycle lanes into town.

They are already mapped out like the one running up Sexton St. North or over Sarsfield bridge.

I cycle from A to B on the very roads that the LNDR can clear of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

People who come out with painfully cringe clichés like "lycra clad MAMILS" tend not to do any cycling from A to B.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Apologies misinterpreted your post.

Well, I must be the exception then! I use my bike all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

Do you have a reliable source for this figure or are you just parroting Willie O'Dea? Do those that object to the reallocation of some public road space for alternative modes of transport required to help Ireland achieve its legal and moral climate objectives have any viable alternative proposal? No, didn't think so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

No you didn't think so, before even giving me a chance to respond. That's a bit rich.

I'm not parroting anyone (especially not Willie O'Dea) The submissions are publicly available on the council website.

Moral climate objectives? Get off your high horse. Ireland is responsible for 0.01% of global emissions. If we disappeared off the face of the Earth tomorrow it would make no difference to global emissions. And this one project isn't going to make a huge difference to Limerick either.

• Advertisement

Anyways. Sisk have been announced as the contractor to build the site wide basement and the One Opera Square office block at the Opera site. Construction of this phase is due to take two years.

It's also been announced that the states Strategic Investment Fund is to put €80m funding into the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Two houses previously used by the OPW for office space on Mallow St are to be repurposed back to dwellings with 12 single bed rooms for social housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Virtually all the recent developments in Limerick city appear to me to be funded by various State agencies. Schools, houses, office buildings etc. Great to see such investment as without State involvement the city would see very little development imo. Also, the first building on the Opera site is being funded by the Irish Strategic Fund. I thought that the entire development was being funded by the European Investment Bank. Is it a positive sign to have a number of investment banks involved.

I'd disagree that virtually all developments are by state agencies. Most of the housing currently being built is private. The council generally are only doing small infill schemes. The big housing developments like those in Castletroy and Mungret are private. The Ardhu apartments refurbishment is also private.

Then there are large private developments like Bishops Quay and the new Bon Secours hospital. Lidl are building a new store on the Dock Rd and they want to build a new store along with apartments and offices next to the new Educate Together school. There are also quite a few Georgians buildings being refurbed privately.

Then you have private projects stuck in planning or in judicial review like the Park Canal development housing and the Punches Cross student accommodation and apartments.

Yes there are big headline projects being developed by state agencies like Limerick 2030, but I think large new schools being built is a good sign.

Finally I don't think that the ISIF money is a loan like the the money from the EIB. I think they'll actually be a stake holder in the finished development along with Limerick 2030.

Do you mean a Lidl on Clare st. ?

Ide be delighted with that.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately not. The school on Clare St is to be a Gaelscoil. The Educate Together school is the one being built across from Northern Trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Just to confirm, it's actually the Gaelcolaiste (ie secondary school) being moved down the road. Psumably housing will go in to the old school building although I don't think anything has been officially announced on that front.

All submissions for the cycle lane are available on eplanning.ie refrence number 228018, there are 701 submissions that I can see and the few that I have read are against the cycle lane. Anecdotal evidence, yes, but I believe Willie O Dea wouldn't lie about the % of those submissions being against

I can't believe you didn't mention the coal mines in China while you were at it. They're usually brought up to explain why we as the highest polluters per capita in EU shouldn't have to do kowtow to the wooly jumper brigade.

https://www.independent.ie/news/environment/ireland-had-highest-eu-greenhouse-gas-emissions-per-capita-in-q2-last-year-new-report-42294376.html

Highest per capita in the EU, as 19th largest out of 27 that's actually not a lot of emissions.

To put another way 3.98 tonnes per person equates to 19.9 million tonnes in Ireland. The EU average country population is 16.55 million so the average EU country emits 33.4 million tonnes

Wonder what the Chinese and USA figures are by comparison

So only large countries should change and the dirtiest people in Europe and one of the worst in the world should just carry on because? Bizarre logic there.

Can't recall saying any of that. My point is that it's not as bad as some make it out to be

Oh right you werent implying Ireland having the worst per capita emissions in Europe doesn't matter because other countries are bigger than us then? Good because it would be an incredibly stupid argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Glenomra

I read that Limerick has the second highest level of disposable income per person in Ireland, higher than Kildare, Meath, Cork etc. A statistic that should prove positive for potential investors. Remarkable how studies on poverty in Limerick city gets so much media attention, yet no comment on the very high level of income in the area.

RTE were down the Milk Market recently talking about the cost of living crisis.

Ide say they were absolutely gutted to find mostly content and well spoken people. Not one of them riding a desheviled looking horse either.

Just a guess but I'de say private investment in Limerick is probably exactly where it's supposed to be in terms of location and population.

No new routes for Limerick today in the big Connecting Ireland bus announcement but upgraded frequency to be announced for Limerick-Kilfinane, Limerick-Nenagh, and Limerick-Athlone.

Also a number of upgrades to west Clare seaside routes that will probably interest Limerick people.

• Advertisement

At least we can rest assured the money will be used for green projects elsewhere if we don't use it... I get the feeling this is being painted as bad news by the local media though

Funding allocated for various Limerick greenways the routes of which were announced last year.

If 5 European countries smaller than Ireland (Lithuanian, Bosnia, Croatia, Moldova & Albania) made the same argument, that'd be 22m people saying we're too small to have an impact. That would be more than the population of Romania so there'd be no point in Romania doing anything either so they might as well opt out. We've now got around 42m people saying they're too small to have an impact which is not far off the population of Spain. Shur they might as well use the "we're too small to have an impact" argument also seeing as a population of people around the the same size as them are using it. As 86m have now opted out saying they're too small to make any impact, small countries like UK and Germany might as well join in on the "we're too small to have an impact" alliance. Ah shur f**k it, let's all do nothing because the population of the world is too small to have an impact.

Straw man argument. Nobody said we should do nothing. But you've decided that the locals being unhappy with the one project, which will take very little traffic off of Limerick roads means that Limerick isn't doing it's bit, even though there are multiple active travel projects across the city either ongoing or with permission and waiting to start.

Off the top of my head.

• Moylish to the city center bus and cycle lanes.
    • Segregated cycle lanes on Brookville avenue.
    • Hyde Road segregated cycle lanes and traffic calming.
    • Childers Road segragated cycle lanes from Punches Cross to Roxboro.
    • Segregated cycle lanes from Quins Cross to the Raheen Roundabout.
    • Segregated cycle lanes on Fr Russell Road.

Whether this got the go ahead or not, wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference when all the other planned schemes are completed. As it is, a revised version got the go ahead by a vote of 13 to 8.

Any idea what is "revised" in the version that passed ?

A network will only be as good as its weakest link. The quality of all those projects isn't great but at least they're trying something so I would reluctantly support them. On wide roads with loads of space, projects usually go ahead without too many issues but once unpopular decisions need to be made, they always fail. The SCR route was a vital connection between the city and Dooradoyle/Raheen but from what I can figure out in the Leader article, the council as a whole has again failed to deliver on the basic goal of the project which was to provide a safe, direct & attractive cycle route connecting these two locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭source

I don't know the full details, but apparently from what I've read online, a shared space, parking retained and bikes can go against flow of traffic.

So exactly what's there now but bikes can legally go against the 1 way, on a road space barely wide enough for the cars.

Maybe I am just wrong on the facts but this argument seems to be one of the more pointless and ideology driven cycle lane one.

One one side you have people not wanting to lose parking despite having alternative spaces in their house. And on the other it's a 1 lane road that is too tight to overtake even a bike so there is no real danger to cyclists.

I don't see either side losing that much if it doesn't go their way.

At least it's contraflow not like the one on Wickham street that stupidly goes with traffic.

Will be interesting to see if they can fit it all in if that's the case. Naked eye measuring I would have thought not.

• Advertisement

Funnily enough it seems that the councillors that live in the area voted in favour. It's great to see public reps from the likes of Patrickswell looking out for the people on the SCR and going against the proposal.

Post edited by LeoD on

Advertisement