Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 13,709 ✭✭✭✭briany

What was the reported death toll for the zombie horde yesterday?

If reports of these human wave attacks are accurate, it really impresses upon us the complete disregard that the Russian military and its paramilitaries have for human life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

It was 1140 two days in a row and the last few days about 750 per day.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Gerry T

The west can continue sanctions for decades and I think they will. An export tax on all products going into Russia so they pay reparations. Any money they wish to export can likewise be taxed. Hopefully that is an outcome for the destruction they are inflicting.

No payment can cover the loss of life, but an example of Russia can and should be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

(Deleted)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭jmreire

The word "Sledgehammer" springs to mind, but not only that, how about :-

Russian officers 'kill own wounded soldiers rather than treat them' say POWs (youtube.com)

And of course we have that uniquely Russian 3-in-a-row lineup where Line 2 shoots line 1 if they retreat, and ditto, line 3 shoots line 2 if they retreat. I wonder what happens line 3 though??? Prigoshin with his sledgehammer??? Grand bunch of lad's....

At that rate 20-23,000 dead by the end of the month,

In one month alone , meanwhile some posters are claiming that looses are massive on both sides but won't provide anything other than there opinion as evidence

• Advertisement

Oh, no need to thank me MudSpud.....thank the Geneva Conventions on War, but I guess, being a Russian supporter, you like Putin, don't bother too much about the Conventions do you? Obviously not when your invasion of a sovereign independent state was illegal from day one.

They will be used in support of the defence of Ukraine against Putins illegal invasion. And they will play a very important role in that, for sure!! If you had any front line or indeed ANY war experience you would not need to be told this, but you don't, and so are continually spouting your very own brand of MudSpud anti-Ukraine waffle. Oh, don't worry yourself about such mundane details as servicing / repairing vehicles, the Ukrainian mechanics have more than proved themselves excellent at this. I'm full of admiration for them, how fast their workshops can return vehicles to service, any kind of vehicle, from Seat Ibiza's to Tanks. They are masters of innovation, but that's no surprise, from the people who built the biggest cargo plane in the world, the Antonov 225 Mriya. Yes the very one that Putin destroyed...but that's whet Russia does best, destroys. How many new vehicles could be bought for a paltry 100 million you ask... I've a better idea, get the cars for nothing, and spend the 100 million on munitions, how about that? And in the same vein, why does Putin not spend 100 Million on toilets for his Russian people? Oh, I forgot his soldiers arc stealing them and he is spending 100 Million on Ladas for the family's of the dead Russian soldiers. And the latest trend, Fur Coats for the widows, but it seems that the Ukrainian shop owner they were stolen from recognized them.... bad luck !!!

BTW, I'm still waiting for a reply to my comment about being sympathetic to Russian civilians when they are enduring the same horrors that Ukrainian civilians are suffering. So??? any comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,882 ✭✭✭✭josip

OT, but back in the noughties we used to fly with Czech airlines a bit via Prague. On one of those trips I was trying to get something finished on the laptop when my wife came back from a walk and said there was a big plane out on the runway, I should come see it. This was before the days of A380 and assumed my wife was referring to a 747. So I went "Uhuh, that's nice" trying to keep my focus on the laptop. She said that even the ground crew had stopped to watch it and I should come see. Reluctantly I left my laptop and went to where I could see the runway. There, taxiing out was an An-225 or more correctly the An-225. I counted the engines on each wing just to make sure I wasn't mistaken and gave my wife a hug. Over the next 5 minutes it roared off down the runway. But the speed didn't match the sound, not for a long time. Gradually the wings lost their droopiness as its speed inexorably picked up. But still it was stuck the runway. Smaller and smaller it got until finally it lifted off, trailing a truly filthy black cloud behind it.

One of my top 3 warm fuzzy aviation moments. The others being an A10 flying low over the house in the 80s and a Spitfire flying in for the Gothenburg airshow in the 90s. Ah the sound of that Merlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

I'm pretty sure that's the one I saw at Farnborough many years ago. Unfortunately one of the engines backfired loudly during the takeoff roll and the crew aborted. End of display. Pity.

Even more OT: having jumped into a number of (virtual) Russian jet aircraft for a peek in different flight sims, I much prefer the Russian greenish-blue panel colour to the diarrhoea brown of Boeing 747, 757, 767 and 777 cockpits.

Yes, but the big difference between the Russians and the US leaving Afghanistan was that the Russian's were kicked out by the Afghan's and told in no uncertain terms not to return, but when the Americans left, most of Afghanistan wanted to leave with them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Perhaps you haven’t noticed that Russia is still in Ukraine. If Ukraine wasn’t having difficulty, they would have kicked the Russians, who have plenty enough issues of their own, back across the border.

Battle doesn’t care who is the good guy or who is the bad guy. An sufficiently resourced and sufficiently trained military does not send single tanks out on their own on missions. The smallest tactical detachment is the platoon: in Ukrainian terms, three tanks. Tanks are supposed to operate as combined arms units with infantry. They complement each other. That video could just have easily ended with an ATGM coming from the flank into the alone and unafraid Ukrainian tank, or a well placed RPG from the infantry being engaged. The Russians may not have NLAWs, but something has been knocking out hundred of Ukrainian tanks.

There are only two notable valid reasons for a single tank to be advancing to engage infantry. They are either lack of resources, or incompetence. The Ukrainians have not shown themselves to be particularly incompetent (and most of the incompetent Ukrainians have likely been killed by now anyway), that leaves resourcing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Germany needed the courage and didn't have to ask permission of anyone. It wasn't until the UK offered the 12 challengers and then the US the 30 Abrams that things started moving. And you can stop being so condescending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

You're right, a tax they'd have to agreed with if they wanted to trade (after a forced exclusion of 10:years minimum perhaps?)

The time span intended to be long enough to hold their military behind that of the West, and short enough to provide timely revenue to Ukraine.

But that would be on top of transferring all frozen accounts to Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,709 ✭✭✭✭briany

And talk of Russia's relatively large population becomes irrelevant in the face of those kinds of losses. People talk about Russian disregard for life in their military doctrine, but that remains mostly on the part commanders. The actual soldiers and their families aren't going to be that gung ho about getting slaughtered if they can help it, and it's telling that Wagner have apparently favoured the use of prisoners for this human wave offensive - fewer will miss that type of man. That becomes more and more of a problem as the prisoners diminish and Russian command is forced to pull more and more from the regular population for its zombie horde. And even the furthest flung villages will at some point notice that few, if any, of their sons are coming back. This is where 140 million really starts to look like a much smaller number.

Of course, it could well be the case that it did not start out alone but got seperated in battle? These things happen too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Equally it could be the case that these things happen more often than we thought. And we're only being exposed to it now as a result of the relatively new mass drone footage from this war.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I'm starting to see why Ukraine don't want to let Bakhmut go. Apart from Russia suffering massive losses including the entire mobilised prisoner brigades, it is stopping Russia getting a major PR boost to "celebrate" the anniversary. It's also damaging the image and power of Wagner.

The final reason is every bomb dropped on Bakhmut is one less bomb dropped on the next cities that would be attacked if it fell. They're also getting ample time to strengthen the next defensive lines and I'd imagine Russian artillery is taking more losses then usual as they're forced to attack from similar areas much longer then usual.

I'd love to see the city hold out long enough for the Ukrainian counter offensive to get underway. Russia will start using more helis and jets closer to the frontlines when the weather improves so hopefully their losses see another big uptick then. The last time we seen a lot of losses here was during the battle for Kherson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Hi folks.

I'm back, after my absence. What did I miss? I was in the "land of the free" doing in one week, what would take two months to do here in the Wesht!

Just noticed this big chap doing a 180, with transponder first off, then back on again, out over the sea. An airdrop over the water off the coast, maybe?

It's pretty quiet, but I've obviously heard about the relocation of air assets to the borders. In the States, the argument against sending jets is pretty strong, recommending an effective air-defence system instead. I would tend to agree. There is a lot, and I do mean a lot, of work involved in keeping combat aircraft flying, never mind the training involved. ( any Irish Aer Corps pilot will tell you this even with our humble PC'9s). An air-defence system across the country would be far, far more cost-effective and more damaging to the Russians.

Most Americans I spoke to :

1. Don't know where Ukraine is, on a map.

2. Expect Poland to be dragged into the fight. ( I fact, they're already in the fight). I'm certain Poland expects this too. Something about unfinished business...

3. Believe the US should be doing a lot more to help the Ukraine.

4. Think Europe is a Country.

5. Belive that there are many Ukranian personell being trained, on the QT, with certain skills, at bases in the US. I find this difficult to believe.

Anyway. Hope you're all well. Any regulars still here?

Here's that wandering C-17...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Very good. You didn't, by any chance, visit the Kings Highway in Jordan? The trucks are cabless, due to the heat. Just a front windscreen, a steering wheel and seat. The noise the wheels make on the melting road is incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,390 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Balloons again...

UKRAINE HAS SAID its aerial defence units had detected half a dozen balloons, apparently launched by Russia, over the capital Kyiv and shot most of them down. Kyiv authorities said the balloons could carry reconnaissance equipment and were launched to “detect and exhaust our air defence forces.”

https://www.thejournal.ie/kyiv-russian-balloons-zelenskyy-troops-bakhmut-5996711-Feb2023/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,551 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Again, russians can't come up with their own original idea

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭jackboy

A clever idea though. If they could launch hundreds of balloons over Ukraine it would use up a huge amount of Ukrainian resources shooting them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If they had actually gained more than they lost, then they would not be waiting on a mere company of Leopard 2s as prerequisite for their big spring/summer offensive. That they made a net gain on tanks is pure 'copium'

Apparently the Ukrainians did this first sometime last year, with the balloons triggering RU air defense near Rostov. Now the Russians are copying in an attempt to expose air defence positions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Thanks. I now have an image of Russian soldiers looting shops for gas tanks, party balloons and disposable cameras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭MudSpud

What makes you think Russia will be picking up the tab for Ukrainian reconstruction?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement