Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Agree with a lot of that but Jason Mcloughlin will play, he was excellent against westmeath and can only presume he picked up a knock to miss yesterdays game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

I have big hopes for David Brady but i thought he looked nervous, which is understandable enough. As said above he misplaced a pass and the game seemed to be passing him by but then he took a huge mark and immediatley kicked a lovely pass into Oisin Brady who was fouled. That settled him down a bit. I thought he was struggling a bit with the pace of the game and felt he needed a score to settle him down. In the second half, he made a lovely run and was found by Kiernan (i think) but the sun got in his eyes and he missed taking a mark and when he gathered his chance was gone. Undoubtedly lots more to come from him. Donohoe did okay as well in there for a league debut. No idea was Maguire injured, but with Conor Brady missing for a few games there's a few lads looking to claim a place before James Smith comes back to full fitness. That's a very good sign for our panel.

If people start coming back, there's massive headaches for Mickey in terms of starting 15 and then matchday 26. Which is great. I think for the last couple of years we had a strong core group of 12 or so and then the standard dropped off a fair bit after that. Last year we were just waiting to see if Paddy Lynch could nail down a place. This year we are realistically saying he has hard work to do to dislodge Oisin Brady or Ryan O'Neill, both of whom have played well in McKenna cup and in both league games.

Conor Smith is a top class club forward and shows glimpses of it at county level. With Gerry Smith coming back and Gearoid, there's lots of power to come back in. I am a massive Oisin Kiernan fan but he was quiet again on Sunday. If we get serious competition for our forwards with lads chomping at the bit to make an impact off the bench, we should be in a very strong place in this league.

The half back line at present can't be changed as it is now the heartbeat of the team. McVeety commanding games from centre half back (Holla was quieter on Sunday). Full back line solid- you couldn't shift Finnegan, Faulkner or Carolan on performances for the Gunner or Moynagh for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

The 'Paddy needs to earn his place back' line is a bit of lip service IMO. I see no scenario in which a fit Lynch won't get his place ahead of O'Neill or Brady when it comes to the business end of the year.

I think a couple of good wins while missing a chunk of starting players might be lulling us into a false sense of how strong the panel is. Carolan is up to it, we knew that at the end of last year. Ryan O'Neill has done really well but has he proven to be a step up from Cormac Reilly? Not yet anyway. Finnegan is doing well but he was doing well this time last year. Tiarnan Madden looks like a find.

The performances of the other new lads range from struggling to steady. If we hadn't got back McVeety who has utterly dominated the last two games, I think there would be a much different conversation going on about how good this panel is.

I was surprised how disjointed Tipp were. Barring the goal, they were waiting for the ref to hand them soft frees for Kennedy to knock over. Yes Tipp were missing players (and the loss of Sweeney on top of Quinlavan is absolutely huge for them) but they played liked a team that could be facing relegation with that level of performance. Bearing in mind from our more established players were were missing Jason, Gunner, James Smith, Gerry Smith, Gearoid and Paddy Lynch only for a cameo (and obviously Thomas Galligan as well). That's seven nailed on starters from last year- I don't think even Tipp were missing that many players.

• Advertisement

But McVeety is back, and he is so good he utterly transforms that team. Similarly a fully fit Holla. That's two massive additions. And as you said, Tiarnan Madden just looks like a county player already. I disagree on O'Neill- he's a bigger scoring threat than Cormac Reilly. And Oisin Brady looks far more comfortable this year. Having some depth means that we don't need to rush Paddy Lynch in to start games until he is 100%

Your point about a couple of good wins whilst missing a chunk of starting players- surely that's the definition of a good panel?

Yeah I suppose it's not fair to dismiss the return McVeety and Holla just because they've been there before. I would consider the true test of a strong panel to be looking at your bench with 15 minutes to go against Armagh in the first round of Ulster and be able to bring on players who can impact the game and not squad players who you'll hope can just survive out there. I haven't seen that from most of the new lads who got game time but will probably drop to the bench if our injuries clear up. In 2019 we had Stephen Murray, Mackey and Jack Brady on the bench. I don't think we'll have that sort of potential impact in the subs this year. Maybe i'm just being pessimistic!

Also, if at the end of last year you said that Cavan would be without the Gunner, Thomas Galligan, James Smith, Gerry Smith, Gearoid and more or less Paddy Lynch and Conor Brady (and Jason only for one game) but will more or less dominate Westmeath and coast against Tiipperary I would have been very sceptical. But here we are. Surely that's a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Conor Rehill & Conor Madden are on the bench at the minute. In 2019 they were in the starting team. I wouldn’t see Jack Brady as a strong bench player, certainly not any stronger than what is there now.

At the moment your team could be:

Galligan

McLoughlin Faulkner Carolan

Brady, McVeety, T Madden

Clarke, Smith

Brady, Smith, Kiernan

Lynch, McKiernan, O’Neill

That leaves no room for the likes of Conor Brady, Finnegan, Gunner, Martin Reilly & Conor Smith. Moynagh was also a starter in 2019. I certainly think we’re in a better position than then.

I think you're being unfair to Jack Brady, he had plenty of good displays for Cavan over the years and was a proven reliable option off the bench. The same can't be said for Conor Smith, yet anyway. I also don't see anyone on the bench that could drag us back into a game like Mackey did so many times, or anyone with pace to change a game like Murray. A matter of opinion I suppose.

Rehill is a bit unfortunate to come back into the squad when the half back line is stacked with options.

What's the opinion on Boylan? Two points on Sunday won't do his chances any harm.

• Advertisement

Boylan did well, took his scores nicely. He's got bags of pace and it's great to see a forward take on scores when the opportunity arises. Often a young lad coming into a team doesn't back themselves and opts to recycle the ball. Granted, the game was open and there was less pressure on him, but still and all he did what was asked. McCabe put in a huge shift, worked really hard and hopefully will get a chance to do more on the ball as at club level he certainly looks a top player.

I’m not going to rehash the Jack Brady debate. He was there from 2013 to 2019 and never pinned down a starting jersey. Great lad with a great attitude and a superb club player. I don’t think it’s harsh to say he’s no better than bench players like Conor Madden available at the minute.

We’ve had very few players like Mackey but let’s not forget you are referencing 2019 when it was 2020 that we actually won something - the year when Mickey effectively made only one substitution in the whole Ulster final.

I do feel people are getting a bit carried away at the moment. We’re in Division 3 and need a few more good performances to judge some of these lads. Although signs are good, talk of seasoned players like McLoughlin & Gerard Smith having to earn their jerseys back is far fetched. Both will be in the team if available come the real tests.

I'm not sure I'm following your train of thought here King. You said we will have stronger options off the bench now than we did in 2019 (when we were in Div 1 and an Ulster Final). But you're also saying we are getting carried away and more performances are needed to judge the lads, while we are "in the ****" in Division 3 as you put it?

I made a similar point to your final paragraph a few days ago. I don't think we have suddenly uncovered a bunch of quality new players. Madden looks like he will hold down a place. O'Neill is playing really well and busting a gut but as the year goes on much bigger questions will be asked of his skill level and i think he'll find it tough. Carolan was a starting player last year, has improved in fairness.

Personally I don't think any of the other new additions will be there in 2 years time. There is no scenario in which Gerry and McLoughlin don't make the starting team come championship if fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mogue77

I would hope Cian reilly might have a good stab at establishing himself when he gets over his injury, he looked a very good player with the 20s last year and did start in omagh in 21 even though he had a very tough day.

We weren’t in Division 1 for long!

I think we have a stronger group overall than 2019. Mackey was a class act but age was catching up with him and lads who can’t make the team now were starting then as pointed out previously.

Players like Stephen Murray & Rehill were only making names for themselves in 2019. I think some of the new additions this year could do the same but we need to step back and judge them in due course - that’s what I mean,

12 months experience can make a big difference. It looks to have helped Carolan for example.

Some players need even more time. Dara McVeety played in 2013 for example but it was in 2016 he really started to come to the fore. Niall Murray also really excelled towards his latter years.

Last years U20 team were a good side and there is more of them to come. Which of the Bradys was it marked Canavan in the U20 final? He did a good job that night.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭rrs

Conor Brady started for DCU in the Sigerson Semi on Wednesday.

are you sure? DCU were playing Ul I don’t see him named on the panel?

Post edited by mogue77 on

He’s not listed as playing in that match report. I believe it’s his hamstring so he’s gone for 4 to 5 weeks.

A loss for the U20s to Longford last night in a “developmental” league. Not sure if that means management will just test lads out. Daragh Lovett wasn’t in the panel last night & Evan Brady didn’t start for example. You’d expect both of those to be starters.

I watched that Sigerson game. Brady didn't feature despite being listed as a starter on the programme

The U20s let that game slip by the looks of it. They were 5 up at one stage in the second half. The team listed was absent a lot of lads you'd expect to start come Championship.

He's out for a while then.Gowna had a Tweet wishing Brady best of luck, looked like he might have been involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭celt262

Back to the action Sunday hopefully we can keep the momentum going and make it three from three.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

You lads will have no problem accounting for us. Our lads are an honest bunch but while you lads are heading for Div 2 we are going the other way. I hope we at least stay with Cavan for a while . Cavan have really developed into a good team . Hopefully the Blues can give Ulster a rattle this year despite how strong the province is.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Cavan 1/8 for this game which is mental, especially for a derby game. While form says Cavan should have too much for Longford I've been following us for too many years to forget about our ability to lose focus and let a good position slip. Will be interested to see if any extra players will be back from injury as Mickey indicated a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

If we can’t bat Longford we should give up.

I remember saying the same about Wicklow two years ago.

Are the U20s in Breffni Friday night? Thought I saw mention of that somewhere but can’t find it now.

They are playing Fermanagh Friday night in breffni.

Remember the hammering Longford gave us in 2011 when we weren’t even top billing in our own ground. The team from that day:

Cavan: J Reilly, M Cahill, T Corr, M Brady, M McKeever (0-01), J McCutcheon, J McEnroe (0-01), D Givney, G McKiernan, F Flanagan, M Lyng, N Murray, N McDermott 0-01, f), E Keating (0-04, 1F), S Johnston (0-03, 2F).

Subs: G Smith for Murray (18), R Flanagan for F Flanagan (41), M Brennan (0-01, ’45) for McCutcheon (41), C Mackey for Lyng (51)

Ryan O Neill switching to Killygarry from Kildallon? Any substance or Hoganstand waffle.

There was talk of him last year leaving kildallen last year too.

• Advertisement

They should have a few Divisional teams in the Senior Championship so players like O Neill and Jason McLoughlin can play Senior. Roscommon are trying it this year.

There was a long break from end of League to start of championship last year in Cavan. They could fill that void with some games

Advertisement