Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

All 4 of them are weak - all over the shop. The guy from Lismore was making a very poor argument.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭emo72

The guy from Lismore was making a very good argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

Despite the "women and children" narrative that has shielded this from any scrutiny, I suspect most Ukrainians are economic migrants. Ukraine is the largest country in Europe (e.g., bigger than France) and vast swathes of the country are perfectly safe. We've now spent 600+ million on this so far, and there's just no end in sight. People would be right to be vexed at non-natives being prioritized over them during a housing crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Well it's known that some Ukrainians living in other countries in Europe came here when the war started.

They're taking advantage of the visa system. Good luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

But the housing crisis, A&E overcrowding, school places and infrastructure etc are linked to uncontrolled immigration and people are feeling that. More people will feel it too if immigration goes on unchecked.

I am not saying we shouldnt help asylum seekers. We should. But its not unreasonable for people to be worried about their infrastructre being eroded, without any end in sight to the influx.

I dont agree with this concern personally, but i do understand it and the people expressing it should be listened to.

if we dont listen to peoples concerns, those concerns will just amplify.

The protests are only getting started. Unless the govt explains, empathises and responds to the sections of society that are generally worried.

And im not talking about the right wing extremists here. I am talking about normal people.

Look at the polls and read the room.

Disconnect the prostest extremists from those that want to see a change in immigration approach, which is now the majority of the popation it would seem.

If we dont do that, we will pay the price as a society. we are adding fuel to the fire without realising it.

The govt is doing an appauling job of engaging with peoples concerns.

Those concerns will not go away.

• Advertisement

It just highlights the character of the Irish Refugee Council. After ROG has funneled millions in their direction over the past few years, and has very likely destroyed his career by pandering to them, they now turn around and take their lapdog to court. (Curiously, it doesn't appear any of the Council took this Afghan guy home themselves. Needless to say, he's just a useful pawn in their lucrative asylum racket.)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

I've seen and heard the rage firsthand and I can't blame them. I live in an area where there's a real struggle for accommodation and the repurposing of empty buildings for Ukrainians has gone down exactly as you'd think it would. I really feel like we're in Bizarro World here. There have always been global conflicts and famines and poverty; it feels like the greatest bait and switch for the people in charge to make out that it's our problem to solve for evermore. Sorry if that sounds harsh. I grew up with the Trocaire box and Live Aid and Concern. We had a conscience, we boycotted businesses that traded with apartheid South Africa, we protested foreign wars we thought were unjust. But how we came to this is just mind-bending, where we're importing tens of thousands of people a year and meekly giving up our resources when we have so many of our own problems that are getting worse, and our young are emigrating in droves again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

The Ukraine/Russia war is the result of longstanding US foreign policy aimed at bringing Russia to heel. Russia is enormously rich in natural resources - oil/gas is but one of many Russian jewels.

What rapicious US corporation wouldn't lust after her?

The US has been seeking to overturn the apple cart ever since Putin replaced the malleable alcoholic, Yeltsin. For Putin restored a sovereignty lost at the collapse of the USSR.

Most recently, the US carried out a violent coup in Ukraine in 2014 (a.k.a.Maidan) and installed a puppet government. Victoria Nuland was even recorded discussing the US pick for the Ukrainian presidency. When queried on what Europe might think of that she said "F**k the EU"

Ballsy or what?

The US then spent the next 8 years arming and training a far right (i.e. Nazi ideology, AZOV) controlled military, which has engaged in a relentless attack on ethic Russian areas in the East of Ukraine.

The Minsk accords, supposedly aimed at resolving that conflict, were a sham. Poreshenko, Merkel and Hollande have all stated that the purpose of Minsk wasn't peace but were rather, a decoy to stall Russian action and give Ukraine time to arm).

Russia, who as far back as 2008 warned the US that Ukraine was a redline (on a par with Cuba in the 60's). Indeed, the now-CIA director, William Burns wrote a memo back then entitled 'Nyet means Nyet (No means No)'. It spelled out the fact that Russia would not and could not allow NATO encroachment via Ukraine. It was simply a step to far.

And if you look at a map of the region (with Russia-allied Belarus and the Black Sea as buffer regions between Russia and NATO) you'll understand why Ukraine was a step to far.

Or a bridge too far. For Ukraine is being slaughtered. The gloves aren't fully off, even now, but Russia has geared up and is in the process of totally squashing Ukrainian resistance.

And so you're beginning to hear talk of defeat in the mainstream media. The public is being prepared and shaped for the inevitable Western abandonment of Ukraine. "Insufficient artillery ammo - Ukraine in trouble" shouts The Gourdian. That fact was known 6 months ago when the Ukrainians used up all their Soviet era shells and the West had to start supplying guns that fit Western sized ammo. And scrape around former Soviet bloc countries for whatever they had lying around.

The US is great at starting wars and then losing wars and then abandoning ship. You'll recall the flight from Afghanistan.

[factoid: did you know that Big Bad Vlod Zelensky is, by birth, a Russian speaker? He only recently took a crash course in Ukrainian and isn't particularly fluent)

It is worth underlining the time remove: a 2008 warning from one big/nuclear power to another big/nuclear power to "gtf away from my backyard".

Big power's tend to have a say in such things... "Sovereignty" notwithstanding.

Look at a history book, if you're inclined to wave a flimsy bit of paper called 'international law/ peace in our time'.

Multiple warnings were issued in the interim and "peace treaties" trampled over by the West (Minsk 1 and 2). Until finally Russia decided to act.

And act with a soft glove on.

There was none of the 44 days of the carpet bombing of civilian Infrastructure that the US engaged in - before so much as a single US boot landed on the ground. The US way, as is the way of true war, was to flatten Iraq first. Why would you not??.

Not so the Russians in their Slavic neighbour. A year in and they still haven't flattened Ukraine. When they so easily could have

We, Ireland, ought not partake in supporting US foreign policy by succumbing so willingly to the US driven narrative.

One result of that is the influx of Ukrainian 'refugees'. We ought to be doing as Clare and Mick (for all their faults) are doing in calling out the US/EU on this matter. They don't absolve Russia but they do call out the US and EU connivance.

Some hope, given we allow the US military to fly in and out of the country at will. Some hope given we allow the US to destroy a critical piece of EU infrastructure and send gas prices thro' the roof and industry abroad. Funny that: the radio silence re: the most significant terrorist act since 9/11

Some hope given our sucking on the nipple of US FDI investment and our turning a blind eye to the REAL reason why US corporations invest here (what kind of crackpot banana Republic fights AGAINST their being awarded 10 billion € from a tax dodging rotten Apple operating in their jurisdiction??)

Let's face it folks, it isn't due to our speaking English or the temperature of the Guinness or the Craic(t/m)

As the man said: "they don't get to be big by being nice guys". As anyone who's worked for a US multinational knows well...

Post edited by antiskeptic on

The swift and ignominious fall of Nicola Sturgeon shows what can happen politically when politicians fail to read the room. Our lot should take heed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭maebee

• Advertisement

You don't want to solve the Ukrainian refugee crisis then? Odd.

Its good to see that a fall can still be so swift and ignominious. Dread the day when it's not so

Are you saying the US DIDN'T flatten Iraqi infrastructure (water pumping, power stations, sewage works, communications) for 44 days prior to putting a boot on the ground?

And so create a refugee crisis.

Or are you one of that latest of the Internet discussion forum memes,

The "Whataboutist"?

FYI, I'm old enough to remember the "intellectually dishonest" and the "cognitive dissonance". Terms flung around by those with an inability to think beyond the nose on their faces.

We have a shed load of Ukrainians entering the country. I think it is reasonable to enquire as to why this is so. No?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

In many cases, the Ukrainian refugees have been moved to lower density parts of the country and far away from urban areas. 3700 in Clare, 4900 in Donegal, 6000 in Kerry, 2800 in Mayo, 1500 in Sligo, 1000 in Cavan, 1000 in Leitrim etc.

I'm not at all convinced that the "pressure on housing, A&Es, schools and infrastructure" arguments even hold up as a result. There are only 3500 Ukrainian refugees in the Dublin city region for example being accommodated by the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

No you are wrong, many Irish emigrants came back and helped to build up the place over centuries. Huge numbers. INCLUDING Michael Collins. Some never came back to live but contributed enormously to Irish culture e.g. James Joyce. Some couldn't come back e.g. Patrick Sarsfield, Red Hugh O Neil, Thimas Meagher . In the modern era many came back from UK, US and further afield and many Irish Americans have helped invest billions through multinationals or charitable endeavours or political influence in US.

Saying only those who stayed made the country is simply wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

To say that the current migration is not effecting those services is folly. You have not tried to access them obviously !!

Post edited by rgossip30 on

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

And more people in the country impact many of the issues you called out. Is it THE single issue, no, but I would think most people aren't single issue.

We have increased the population by 10 percent with no increase in services, and a reduction in many areas.

We have people living at home unable to buy or rent due to the government outbidding them to house others

So is it the issue for most, absolutely not, but it is a highly emotive issue that can sway voters.

We have already seen a 600 percent increase in people seeing it is the most important issue to them, and that was before the protests had begun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

33 percent of the adults from "Ukraine" are men. This women and children thing is bullshit

No he wasn't!

Saying 10% 10% 10% all the time is not an argument. I know what he was trying to say but he was terrible at it.

Saying that ambulance wait times for old people had increased dramatically since the foreigners arrived was a nonsense. Ambulance wait times have been deteriorating for many years. Services have been deteriorating for many years. Obviously it will only make it worse but he needs to learn to be coherent about that argument. He was saying they should send a GP and nurses down with the 10%. Such simplistic nonsense. We already have a shortage of GPs, we can't magic them up or tell them where to go.

He was idiotic, I hope you were being sarcastic.

The presenter clearly thought he was a fool. He won't like the playback.

• Advertisement

Hold on chief. People don't want balance in these debates. Only groupthink allowed. You'd love the childish war threads - some real heroes in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,593 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Looks like it's the far left extremists we should be worried about following this lunatic driving over a protestor last night

• Registered Users Posts: 15,508 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Some scummer drove his car through a protest last night - awful.

the bast1rd involved should get life in prison for that.

Both sides of the protests are badly led idiots. Cowards too. I am all for the right to protest but they need to end those types of protests - Protest at the Dail or organise them at neutral locations (Merrion Sq, Eyre Sq, Phoenix Park etc). And do them during the day. Protests outside accommodation housing asylum seekers or migrants is shameful and stupid. Both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,508 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Protests outside Leinster House are pointless.

Long standing practice from all Politicians is to ignore them

The politicians love these ad hoc rabble protests. They take up all the headlines and the politicians can sit back and blame the fringes etc. It plays right into their hands. Angry idiots and virtue signallers making noise and cancelling each other out.

If the politicians see large well organised well represented protests on a regular basis, they sit up and think one thing......Votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Looks to me like he tries to avoid protestors and one decides to play a game of chicken with the car. Play stupid games....

Did we find out who dutchie is yet BTW, since we're all so enraged about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Driving a car at people you disagree with is hardly going to garner support for your position on any issue.

Had this been a pro immigration rally and a car had been driven at attendees we would be hearing about the far right having organised it and how its an indication of the rise of the far right in Ireland.

We should be guarding against all extremist ideologies not just calling out one and ignoring the other.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,526 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Thats far less dramatic than it sounded, more man stands infront of a slow moving car rather than actually hit by a car.

• Advertisement

I couldn't give a fiddlers about that incident. I disagree with the whole concept of late night shouting matches between angry idiots and virtue signallers outside accommodation centres. This isn't news, it's ridiculous noise. The govt politicians love these distractions. Normal people who also have opinions on the migrant problem are put right off by these extremist actions.

The water protests were successful because they were well organised and well represented with huge numbers. The messages were clear. People really felt the govt were trying to sell our precious resource and make the taxpayer pay handsomely for the luxury and the setup waste/corruption. The protests scared the life out of the govt TDs and they backed down. It worked.

Advertisement