Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Okay fair enough - don't mean to dig out older arguments if not relevant.

Just to be clear, has this discussed more recently given the shifted focus to rail improvements, and bypasses versus motorways?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Just to recap, there are 7 phases in this project. It is currently in phase 3:

• Phase 1 (Concept and Feasibility)
    • Phase 2 (Options Selection)
    • Phase 3 (Design and Environmental Evaluation)
    • Phase 4 (Statutory Processes, which includes An Bord Pleanála Oral Hearing)
    • Phase 5 (Enabling and Procurement)
    • Phase 6 (Construction and Implementation)
    • Phase 7 (Close out and Review)

Regarding the Road solution, Phase 1 looked at 7 road options (including the N/M24 route, a couple of routes based around the R513 and other variations). The conclusion was that that a corridor based on the current N20 was the best option and this went forward to Phase 2. In phase 2, a number of routes within this corridor were looked at, and following consultation a preferred route emerged. This is the route is now being looked at in detail in Phase 3.

Regarding the Rail solution, Phase 1 concluded that there were two options, RS1 which is based on improvements to the current route/service via Limerick Junction and RS2 which looked at two new direct route from Charleville to Limerick. Phase 2 recommended that RS1 go forward to the All Ireland Rail Review.

Active Travel and Other Public Transport have also been part of the work completed to date.

There is no certainty around timing, and no long term commitment, however it was mentioned that Phase 3, which kicked off at the end of Spring 2022, should take approx 2 years. Some activity (Environmental Surveys, Archaeological Surveys etc has been reported over the course of the last 12 months). The outcome of Phase 3 will be the following: the Design Report, the Environmental Impact Assessment Report, the Statutory Process Documentation and the Business Case.

There is a a lot more information on the project website including:

Rather than speculating here, it might be worth contacting the Project Office on info@corklimerick.ie to ascertain what progress they have made and what the next milestone/s might be and sharing anything you find out.

Thanks for that info. Really helpful. At what phase was the GCRR at when planning permission was overturned between 4 and 5?...

Given the new Climate Action Plan and massive shift in focus from roads to public transport (all across Europe), I find it hard to believe this new motorway can be justified, environmentally, given a separate planned motorway / dual carriageway route which is only 30km longer (15-20 minutes in a car).

I'm not being a smartass or anti road, but is that not a real possibility?

Considering there's a motorway from Tuam to Limerick, I reckon there should be one between the second and third cities.

WTF is in Tuam?

WTF is in Tuam?

A motorway exit that will take you to Limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Different time, different Minsters.

I'd say the M/N20 will be done in some form. I don't think it'll languish like the Galway bypass. Locals and national traffic need something done. What that "something" is depends on the minister.

Timelines will be out the window due to ABP and the inevitable court challenges, but I do think that eventually an N/M20 will be built.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

We have to have an election by Feb 2025. By the time this manages to get through planning, Eamonn Ryan will no longer be transport minister. Transport policy will change and this and other needed roads will be built.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The Minister doesn't decide these things, that's not how it works.

The Greens are anti roads. They don't want any new roads built, not even necessary ones. The 2:1 spending ratio is totally down to Eamonn Ryan and the Greens as it was one of the main points for himself and the Greens to agree to join the government.

He has already been seen to interfere to stop road projects. The LSMATS document actually states that the only reason that the LNDR isn't included is because Ryan insisted that it wasn't. Something that I've no doubt will be rectified when he leaves office. He tried to stop the Coonagh to Knockalisheen section going to construction only to be overruled by the Taoiseach and Tanaiste. He's also claimed that the M20 will cost €3bn even though he knows well it will cost nowhere near that. There are multiple small projects around the country that have suddenly been dropped from TII plans even though the were high priority before he took office. He decides a lot of these things, as if he doesn't bring them to Cabinet they don't go ahead.

When the next government is returned the 2:1 ratio won't be part of the program for government. And if SF lead the government (which is highly probable) you can guarantee that they'll roll back on the climate action plan and prioritise roads. I wouldn't necessarily agree with them doing that, but it's what will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,171 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Advertisement

Look at their polling. They're sitting at 4%. They're not returning 8 TDs again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I'd say just about everyone would agree that the tuam motorway was a total waste of money. The most over speced road I am aware of in Europe.

It was also built in a different era. We're now committing to a more than 50% cut in emissions from transport in a decade. Its nearly impossible to build new motorways and achieve that. This allows us to leave the powerful farming lobby alone.

The M20 has a real case to be built (unlike the Galway ringroad) in that it represents a major improvement in safety, an economic benefit in better connected haulage etc. Is that enough to get it built in the face of an unachievable emissions target? Who knows.

Transport policy isn't going to change no matter who is elected. We have committed to the global community a 50% reduction in emissions from transport in a decade

SF is a left wing party, they will form a left wing coalition likely involving the green party. More roads is a right wing policy, it supports individualistic transport and effectively subsidises the consumer choice of people who can afford private transport. Its fundamentally at odds with left wing principles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The suggestion was that the M17 was built due The M/N20 project is progressing through the project phases despite Ryan being MfT. He clearly hasn't stopped the project. The important decisions will happen after he has left the position and he will have zero influence.

If SF lead the government, the chances of the M/N20 project proceeding doesn't improve. They will likely try to roll back on certain climate policies like the ban on smokey coal or sale of turf, low level populist nonsense. They won't be too bothered with major infrastructure investment, too many give away promises need money thrown at them. If anything they are more likely to scrap the M/N20 project because a dilapidated cottage might have to be demolished, they love objecting to everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

Indeed. SF will be too busy throwing money at the Western Rail Corridor which they have absolutely, positively promised to deliver.

Until they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,586 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Mod: Leave the politics for the Politics Forum please.

Post edited by Sam Russell on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Why are ye talking about politics in this thread again when a mod very recently asked ye not to? Can ye not just talk about the road?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The M20 and politics are twinned at the hip. However, comments related to politics on this thread should only relate to the politics of the M20 itself. Generalised comments about Eamon Ryan are not welcome here, but comments in relation to the M20 are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

This project is in Phase 3, which is effectively the design and (more important, for progress) the preparation of the environmental assessments needed for planning permission. Given that N6 has been effectively killed for not adhering to the government‘s environmental commitments, extra care will be taken with N20 to make sure that it can meet this standard.

Regardless of who is in government, this environmental policy will remain: it’s based on a treaty obligation to reduce CO2, so unless some future government wants to effectively ban fossil-fuel home heating, or cut the national dairy herd in half, then transportation needs to deliver reduced CO2 emissions.

I don’t think N20 will have anything like the fundamental difficulties that N6 faced in terms of environmental policy, but there are still risks. For a start, some of the ideas put forward for this scheme to increase lane capacity of N20 at its southern end and its tie-in to the eventual Cork North Ring Road that might not fit with a policy of reducing car-dependent commuting. There’s been a lot of talk about rail in terms of the whole Cork-limerick, or the Limerick approach from Limerick Junction, but I think the rail aspect of this project will also have to include upgrades to the Mallow-Cork commuter service, as doing this may remove the need to add extra lanes to N20 from Blarney, which would be there purely to accommodate commuter traffic in morning and evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Seeing how you're making this about emissions, it's 100km from Colbert, Station, Limerick, to Kent Station, Cork, following the N20 road route. If you make the same journey by road following the N24/M8 route, this is 140km, a 40% increase in distance travelled which makes a 40% increase in emissions for the point to point journey, all other things being equal.

Arguing that we should be investing in rail instead and should be discouraging car journeys has merit but suggesting we should route Cork Limerick traffic through Cahir is bunkum. Given the respective traffic volumes, it might even make more sense to route Limerick Waterford traffic through Cork, but nobody in their right mind would suggest that because it is not fit for purpose and a do nothing option would probably be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Agreed with all, I suspect that the "proof" needed will be that this road won't attract more short distance car commuters than the alternative modes will. That means few junctions on the road itself and good commute options near either end.

To be clear, I'm fully supportive of building the M20, it makes sense to enable a western regional balance to Dublin and support population growth.

However it reads badly that we would build the shortest direct Motorway while maintaining a longer, less direct, train route, at a time when we're trying to enable people to choose public transport.

Emissions wise, if more people switch to the train, the increased emissions of a longer road route could be offset by higher uptake on PT. That will be the climate argument when someone inevitably brings this to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

You're missing some details I think.

The end-to-end journeys are a small fraction of the overall: Mallow, Buttevant and Charleville are significant trip generators (origin and destination) with their own industries and populations.

Significant numbers of HGV's on the route with no railhead for Cork port, and I suspect for Limerick either.

Significant issues with adding N/M20 throughput to the Dunkettle interchange.

Significant safety issues on the N/M20.

Of course the rail should be improved, and I think they should do that to get the project over the line (Blarney P&R, more services, better endpoint transport integration, integrated ticketing). But even if an N24/M8 route was progressed, the N20 will need significant works. The Ballybeg Bends are the tip of the iceberg, and the road has a terrible safety record.

There is significant HGV traffic currently going through Buttevant, Charleville (and to a minor degree Mallow).

Buttevant and Charleville are difficult to accommodate as strong commuter rail alternatives due to station locations and dispersed settlement patterns.

Dunkettle is genuinely not capable of accommodating any further upgrade.

So you're not making an illogical argument, it just doesn't fit well with the needs: this isn't a two-node system, it's something like a 4 or 5 node system. Buttevant is marginal, but Charleville and Mallow definitely need to be considered as urban areas with their own needs.

The issue is most traffic originates on or just off the M20. I think it's calculated that only 20% of traffic is end to end with 80% basically being commuter traffic. Probably up on 90% dose not want to get to either city center.

I am more familiar with Limerick but Castletroy, Cahirdavin, and Raheen are 4-6km from Corbett station. You also have work where shift work is large proportion of workplace structure.

Ya train line would save the problem if we basically moved UL, Castletroy and Raheen industrial area all to within 500M of Corbett station.

I know the argument that we could put in a station in Raheen a d extend the line to Castletroy or add bus routes. However that is not going to help unless it overall keep commuting to e with 10-15 minutes of driving

Slava Ukrainii

Great thanks for that info. Makes sense. Sorry if I'm bringing up old stuff again!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Just pointing out ,

it's not just "road or rail "

There are other methods of public transport , buses and coaches , and they are highly compatible with motorways.

Look what private coaches have done for public transport times around the country , cork city to Dublin in 3 hours , if I want a get a coach at 2am I can ,

3 companies doing hourly or 2 hourly services , + you can still get the bus eireann expressway service if you're a hedonist ( or want to stop along the way)

( And they're full ) ,

So it doesn't have to be motorway or public transport. It can be and public transport .

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The safety argument alone will see the M20 built on/near current alignment rather than N24.

The current N20 just isn't safe enough for a primary road

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Why introduce the N24 argument then?

Mallow to Blarney needs complete overhaul on safety grounds.

Add in the necessary bypasses of Banogue Cross, Charleville, Ballyhea, Buttevant and the Ballybeg bends, Newtwopot House and of course Mallow, which simply must happen to take trucks off main streets.

Whats left is filling in the inbetween sections through open countryside with probably no additional junctions which makes these the cheapest kms of a full Limerick to Cork route.

Doing a halfassed upgrade would likely end up costing nearly as much as a proper job and that's before you look at the future cost of coming back to do the job properly because every time we've done infrastructure on the cheap, we've ended up having to come back and do it again.

Just to add on rail, it's journey time and frequency of service that will drive uptake rather than track distance, quad tracking of Cork to Mallow and double tracking of Limerick to Limerick Junction with straight through passing will do far more on both fronts than a new line from Limerick to Charleville.

• Advertisement

I think that is the point. The motorway is required. What is the best OT option after that. An effective rail solutions would cost 100's million and might still get caught for frequency and the ability to serve commuters. Put that money into bus solutions and you get much more flexible solutions.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement