Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Would be fitting for him to end up our record points scorer. Needs 40 points between rest of the 6N, RWC warmups and RWC itself, you'd think he should get there comfortably enough.

Hugo Keenan gets selected by merit of his central contract. Disgraceful Joe.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Uini Antonio gets a 6 week ban , reduced to 2 weeks for "good behaviour" and that utterly ridiculous "tackle school" nonsense.

What's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Jaysus. You'd hope a professional rugby player knows the rules when tackling. Pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Curious now what people think would constitute a successful, and a disappointing, 2023?

Anything other than a 6 Nations now would obviously be a disappointment, but I think there's an argument for disappointment if we don't win the GS from here. (Which is crazy considering we only have 3 in our history). If they can maintain the level of performance of the last 2 matches, you'd have to think there's every chance.

With regards the RWC, for me, at a minimum, I just want to see a performance in the QF. The most disappointing thing about our QF record is that, in the main, we haven't even fired a shot; we've generally been behind from early on. We need to at least performance a be in with a chance of a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭accensi0n

GS and a good performance, but not necessarily winning, in a WC QF would be very successful.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Disappointing - not winning the 6N and not winning a WC knockout game yet again

Successful - Grand Slam and World Cup final

• Subscribers Posts: 41,594 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

For me I will be disappointed if we lose any competitive game this year.

So yeah, winning the grand slam and the world cup ....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

You probably weren't even born in 1991?! Some of us still can't watch that Michael Lynagh try...

• Advertisement

Not winning the 6N from here would be a huge disappointment. We're in pole position and we're better than every team we have to play yet.

It's hard to say for the RWC. We could conceivably get to the QF, play our absolute peak game, and still lose to either NZ or France. That will be disappointing obviously but the key is actually showing up. If we stumble and get hammered it'll be a nightmare. If we play in a game as high quality as the weekend and lose by a score, it won't be a success but it won't be a failure imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I dunno what you've heard Zzippy, but fair to say you've been grossly misinformed. ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Don't start.......

I was sitting in the bottom of the west stand right in front of where Gordon Hamilton scored the try that we thought had won it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

We should be aiming to win the world cup. We should be winning the 6 nations, as long as Scotland are just teasing us. Let's hope they are

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

In terms of the 6N it's grand slam or bust.

Losing to Scotland or Italy would be horrific results for us given where we are, even though Scotland have won 2 in a row they are still Scotland and a couple of levels below us. We have England at home and they are no great shakes. If we play at even 80% of our capabilities then we'll comfortably win the next 3 games.

For the WC, no stupid group defeats (like Japan) and getting past the QF. Going out in a QF again would be incredibly disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Oh man. Tough question. The way we're playing championship and sf. Tough road though. Scotland worry me though. I hate feeling confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i wouldnt be too worried about scotland tbh. they generally are up for any england game and they beat a very poor welsh team. i wouldnt be surprised at all if they lost the rest of their games. i dont see it being a walkover since its away, but i think ireland should be 5-10 point winners.

england may be coming good by the time of the last game but i dont think they'll be at a level to match ireland either. in a way its crazy to be talking about it after only two games but a grand slam should be the minimum for the 6N

RWC is a different story, anything can happen between now and then. being on the tougher side of the draw doesnt help either

It’s a great question, but I’d love to just see us finish the year playing the rugby we’re capable of.

If someone beats us while we’re playing our best, they’re going to have to be at a serious level. If that happens, no complaints.

Just don’t want us to collapse. But I don’t think we will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭ersatz

Yeah, going out in the 1/4 final, regardless of the circumstances, would be a failure given the quality of this team and the fact that they’ve come into this season on an upward trajectory. Maybe Irish rugby will continue to go from strength to strength, and all signs point that way, but still, we need to be winning WC knockout games to be regarded as a top team.

England in the doldrums and Scotland’s heads filled with dreams of glory should make both those games winnable. Italy even playing their best game should not get close to us. The GS is on, but so is a World Cup medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Qf exit would really hurt(group exit worse). We genuinely have a great chance to win the world Cup but will have to do it the hard way. I don't think we'll collapse like previous world cups which is the first priority. Scotland hitting form has made a poxy draw even worse.

If Scotland manage to win in Paris our trip to Edinburgh will be their biggest game in a long time but would add to a pretty great tournament this year.

I think we'll do the slam and am going all out and saying we'll win the world Cup. France are going to go like us in the last World Cup having peaked too soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I've fancied us to win the GS from about the 10th minute of the Welsh match and am even more confident. Of course a bad day at the office and it can go up in smoke.

The WC I'm not sure about. The nature of the draw means it's hard to predict. To me losing a QF or losing a SF is all more or less the same thing. Either way you don't win the WC or reach the final. If we win a QF (if we get there), then the emotional and mental strength involved in beating either France in Paris or NZ would be huge...remember how flat England were in the final after beating NZ in 2019. In other words winning the World Cup would be the most remarkable rugby achievement conceivable, maybe the greatest Irish sporting achievement in history. Falling short wouldn't be a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

Winning a 6 nations would be successful

Disappointing, will deal with that at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭ersatz

I would be worried if I was French on the evidence of the last 2 games. The French pack were outclassed, Aldritt was anonymous and their missing couple starters made huge difference. To me their second half performance lacked ideas, they continued to play well enough but they didn't have anything new after half time. That is where Ireland were in 2019 and it's a bad sign at this stage, they also looked in poor condition. It might be a temporary dip, or it could be to do with how much rugby these guys play, but one way or another that's two on the trot where things have not gone well. Ireland's vicotry over Wales put he French performance against them into starker light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i think huge numbers of minutes played for most of the squad coupled with an apparently beastly week of training pre-italy are probably part of the reasoning for the poor performances so far. id expect them to be in alot better of a state come the rwc

I'd agree about France so far.

Take Dupont and Penaud (and possibly Dumortier) out of that side on Saturday and Ireland win at a canter.

Their only score of the second half was a scraggly drop goal that they resorted to after going over and back a few times between our 10m and 22m without ever really looking like they'd trouble us.

They look tired and fairly bereft of ideas at this stage.

Lots of time to recover and rest though and home advantage will be a huge lift , but if I were French I'd still be feeling a bit nervous..

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

We're going to wreck Scotland and Jim Hamilton will finish the spring with a tattoo of Mack Hansen on his arse. Fact :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

If Ireland don't win the Grand Slam, it will be one of rugby's biggest chokes. And they have to be favourites for the RWC now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Not sure he was at a club at the moment but Jack McGrath has retired. Sort of gets forgotten now but won over 50 caps, took the starting shirt off Cian Healy, and spent a couple of seasons as an absolute elite level prop. It's a shame the way his career tailed off the way it did. He's only 33 so entirely conceivable he could have still been in the Ireland setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

If we get past the QF, I fancy us to win it outright. That's likely to be our toughest game, against the two teams who have most consistently walloped us historically.

Advertisement