Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,612 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

There is no indication that we will see inside the F. The only ship we have seen inside so far is the Titan-A

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

I would assume we'd see inside the other ships at some point. It'd be kind of crap to have them retiring the F and only see the outside of the ship on a viewscreen. There'd have to be a BSG style ceremony on board, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The Musk name drop on Enterprise has aged as well as the Trump cameo in Home Alone 2 (but not as badly as Abrams on Discovery) honestly I reckon they do well to leave alone. Zephren Cochrane has buildings named after him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah. Any show needs to be VERY careful about modern references (Not even just popculture references that Dreamworks use SO heavily. Out of date even before it airs). I remember "The Good Place" Kameela Jamil's character was constantly name dropping and regularly name dropping Musk. Then the whole thing with the diver and Musk calling him a "paedo guy" on Twitter and the next season she name dropped him again along with the line "What was I thinking???!!!" or something similar. (And please, this is just an observation. The Twitter chat is over there)

Don't remember Abrams on Discovery, was he? Huh. But yeah, they could still expand further afield (And maybe they have. I'm not particularly obsessive about Trek and certainly not about the Extended Universe). They could have science ships named "Curie" or "Lovelace" or "Feynman" or even the likes of "Webb" or "Hubble" or "Kepler". Have them as deep exploration ships. A progression from their Space Telescope days.

So it's safer to reference fiction. Nog was mentioned in Discovery (A nice nod to the late Aron Eisenberg).

Stacey Abrams not JJ Abrams

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Haha, I was confused too. But yeah I recall something about Stacey Abrams having a cameo on Discovery. I presume the usual people who get upset over lefties in an avowed lefty SciFi show, got upset.

I dunno, that seemed fairly inoffensive as unless she becomes President in years to come, will probably fade into the memory of American culture. Someone like Elon Musk seems determined for the whole world to know what or who he is - though maybe in years to come that'll also fade.

As if there weren't another reason to love The Expanse, I always loved their ship-names cos when they weren't somewhat poetic with the likes of the Weeping Sonambulast, they did indeed just name their ships after fictional people - and never bothered explaining who that was. See The Agatha King for the prime example there.

I wasn't too fond of having those kinds of cameos in Trek despite being a "leftie" myself.

Some of the Expanse ship names are great. The Agatha King was a Truman class ship built in Bush shipyards so possibly not shying away from the idea that the military might be happy to use right wing names.

I bet they regret naming the inventor of the revolutionary fusion drive Solomon Epstein though.

Was that Bush as in the US presidents or Bush as in the tool company? There were FedEX containers everywhere and Drummer's ship DeWalt had a very DeWalt tool company colour scheme.

Star Trek has had some contentious names in the past like the Enterprise D's sister ship being named after the biggest, baddest battleship every built by the famously not lefty Empire of Japan. There's a USS Gandi too who the revisionists are going after now.

They don't say who it's named after. Up to the viewer/reader I suppose.

In the books the Dewalt is called the Connaught (sadly spelled that way)

An American show naming a ship after a Japanese WWII one was an interesting choice alright.

• Advertisement

Isn't season three out this week? Am I the only one not seeing any attempts at hype?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,449 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

Some YouTubers got early access to the first six episodes.

This posted 5 days ago.

Only listened to the start, because I haven't seen many of the trailers and don't want to be spoiled before seeing it.

Posted 2 hours ago?

https://www.theverge.com/23594675/star-trek-picard-season-3-review

Post edited by corkie on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

No attempts at advertising it on Amazon prime anyway

Usually my suggested videos and one or two of my subscriptions on YouTube have <Star Trek series> is out soon here's an inane breakdown of what we know so far in the week or two leading up to it but I haven't seen any of that yet.

Ah right. I only ever use YouTube when someone post one here. I've seen a few but would have no clue if it's more or less than normal.

Surprised it's not plastered all over my Amazon account today. I assume cause its not their own or exclusive anymore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Chuckle. They're all in the Nexus; that explains a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I've seen a handful, but recently they've fallen out of my youtube recommendations. I think it might be because I'm not watching them as much anymore due to the relentless mental gymnastics some of those channels go through to promote it as THE BEST SEASON OF ALL TREK EVER. It was getting insufferable. Though lets see if this is finally the season. I'm in two minds whether to just watch it on my lunch break since I don't hold out much hope for it, or wait until I'm home and watch it on a big screen, in case it's actually really good!

When is it out on Amazon ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Tomorrow, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Jesus, still at that nonsense of a day late release. Time to get onto the American cousin to send me a VHS this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭McFly85

While most of the reviews have been good, this has nailed how I’ve felt about everything so far.

The top comment on the article sums it up best - To Boldly Go Where We Have Already Gone Before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Rawr

Not a whisper from them here in Scandinavia. Contrast to Season 2 where public transport in Oslo (and a whole metro station) was plastered with Picard adverts (I posted some here at the time). They even put up a sort of large Picard diarama with planets and a Borg Cube outside the main train station.

I wonder if Prime can't be bothered since they'll probably lose the rights in the near future to Paramount+.

Also season 3 really just seems to be aimed at people who will already know what Star Trek is on and when.

No point advertising a show that is probably not gonna pick up anyone new so late in the day.

Plus season 2 was absolutely crap which dampens enthusiasm for this.

Probably the licensing fog, plus how they likely saw the goodwill had burned up over this show. Apart from nostalgia junkies, I can't imagine too many Trek fans are that stoked about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Rawr

The push for season 2 did seem like a bit of a gambit. When the early S2 episodes appeared to show Picard as being good Trek (Oh what early hopeful days they were) I had wondered if Prime had pushed so hard because they knew they had something good on their hands. But in a few short weeks, the adverts were gone and the truth had been revealed.

I'm thinking they could still try to push S3 as the TNG sequel they've been trying to frame it as (and what many thought Picard would be when it was announced) and get new viewers this way. We've got Worf on the posters in regular Klingon makeup, (and not the wierd pale-skinned "Uruk-hai" Klingon-style from Discovery) just to underline how *TNG* this one is going to be. You could potentially attract viewers who remember TNG/DS9, but haven't bothered with the New-Trek so far.

But yea, by now you kind of already know what you are going to watch. I'm still living in a tenitive hope that the positive reporting has some truth to it, and that this will be some good Trek. I don't need a masterpiece, I don't need something to match the likes of Best of Both Worlds or All Good Things, but 10 episodes of alright, watchable, somewhat enjoyable Trek. If they can manage that I'll be somewhat happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭McFly85

No, just a few trailers. But everything points to what the article describes. REMEMBER THIS THING? Being front and centre instead of having just a good trek story without being bombarded with nostalgia.

If Trek hadve been this backward looking 40 years ago we wouldn’t have gotten TNG in the first place.

• Advertisement

By the looks of it there is no point trying to grab people who haven't bothered with new Trek because this seems very much to be a new Trek show. Maybe not but the trailers certainly look like it.

Advertisement