Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭MudSpud

Why do I think they won't pick up the tab? Because they won't think they have to. How are you going to make them pay? America wrecked Vietnam and to date hasn't paid a penny in war reparations and who's going to make them? Yes Russia have wrecked Ukraine but they're not going to see it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Gerry T

European and other world countries care, that's the difference. Sanctions can be employed that suck money from the Russian economy. What would it say to other tin-pot countries like Russia, if the world stood by and just let the Russians slink off home when defeated. This war has cost a lot of countries vast sums of money, potential investments have been lost. Russia is trampling all over a lot of people's wealth, what history has shown us is, this is a great motivator for action. Russian unfortunately has bitten off way more than it can chew and will pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,709 ✭✭✭✭briany

If anyone wades in with the "but America..." line, it would be a good question to ask where they're going with that line of rhetoric. They never really draw many solid conclusions from the point they raise, which makes me suspect it's a weaselly way to try and undermine the moral position of Ukraine by just sowing a bit of doubt.

In any case, Ukraine will take weapons from whoever is supplying them in order to defend their country. The only particulars they can really ponder at this time are the ones which would give them the best strategic outcome. Everything else is going to be for the vast amount of books written about this conflict for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I try not to as I definitely would not understand all of those complexities.

I would agree there will be no Russian "reparations" in the way you have defined them (like Versailles). My feeling is the UN and all international structures have failed when it comes to this conflict. It is going to be up to US/EU and allies to punish Russia.

In terms of natural justice of making the one who destroyed Ukraine chip in for a reconstruction, the only thing they have left is what Russia owned in these Western countries.

There is an incentive there for them to try and build some kind of collective approach to it among themselves rather than see Russia just sail off free of obligations after this stupid war ends, having wrecked its neighbour.

It's called discrimination based on political beliefs or indeed political apathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

In my view, the really complex piece is what happens when the fighting stops.

Ukraine will need massive help reconstructing itself. Reintegrating all the refugees. But I have every confidence this will happen and that it will enter the Western European economic, social and political sphere for ever. Up to and including eventual EU accession.

It's what happens to Russia that is the most challenging strategic problem. It will still be a nuclear-armed, confrontational, xenophobic dictatorship run by a kleptomaniac (even if, highly unlikely in my view, Putin is deposed or dies - he will be replaced by someone of similar ilk).

How the collective West engages with this rogue state will be an enormous challenge. Ultimately we want Russia to be a force for good in this world...how we get to that point, I have no idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,392 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You were asked to condemn Putin's illegal invasion of Ukraine and the war crimes.

You respond with a total piece of deflection about discrimination???

What an absolute cop out answer.

Textbook morally and intellectually bankrupt response.

Simple question: Do you condemn, without equivocation or whataboutery, Russia's illegal invasion of Ukraine and the way they have conducted the war re: atrocities such as Bucha, deliberately targeted attacks on civilians.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I don't know why you waste your time. The Ignore feature is a highly useful one. All you will get from idiots like that one is deflection and sophistry (and you can't beat a fool at their own game, so why bother trying?).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,709 ✭✭✭✭briany

My feeling is the UN and all international structures have failed when it comes to this conflict

@fly_agaric

I agree that the UN has been toothless, and you probably wouldn't need to be a geopolitics graduate to have suspected it would be so.

Other international structures like the EU and NATO - there will always be those who will argue that they could have/can do more, but nevertheless it has been absolutely critical to Ukraine the support they have been providing. It's not a binary thing of failure or success.

As for international structures which are supposed to act as diplomatic tools designed to prevent war between countries, I agree that those ones have failed in this instance, but a cursory look at history shows us that the systems and failsafes we design to prevent war still can not prevent every war. Maybe they prevent a lot of conflicts which would have happened if those systems were never put in place, but still something always seems to come along which the system cannot seem to prevent.

They don't think they are in the wrong. And even if they did think they were in the wrong how are you going to force them to pay reparations?

Do you think the EU can legally seize those assets?

It would be a useful exercise, and we have some smart people on this thread, to imagine some potential answers to these questions:

1. what will be the catalyst for the fighting to stop? Exhaustion of force? Total defeat of one side or another? Nuclear weapon usage?
    2. what parts of Ukraine might still be under Russian control when the fighting stops? Luhansk, Donetsk, Zaporizhia, Crimea?
    3. what would happen to such Russian-occupied territories? Frozen conflicts such as Nagorno-Karbakh?
    4. what would a peace agreement look like?
    5. how quickly would Ukraine integrate itself into the EU?
    6. how would the West engage with Russia post-conflict? Carrot vs Stick?
    7. what changes could happen in Russian political and civil society post-conflict? Will Russia ever democratize?

The natural trend, especially in the information environment of 2023 with our instant access to updates, is to focus on the 'here and now' tactical environment but the real focus should be on the long-term strategic landscape

The big flaw in the UN, when it comes to conflict, is the nature and makeup of the Security Council.

There is no onus on me to condemn, condone or anything in between regarding the Ukraine War and you have absolutely no right to demand this of me or anybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭vixdname

Putin will get spit roasted in Hell by patton and churchill - I like it

• Registered Users Posts: 29,392 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's a discussion forum discussing primarily the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

You see there you go again, trying to play the victim. Yet nobody 'demanded' anything of you. You were asked a simple question. Yet you will not engage in this core and relevant point germane to the entire discussion.

That you will not condemn it, and engage in these shenanigans when asked, is now taken by other readers of the thread as proof positive of the moral and intellectual bankruptcy of your position. And the utter hollowness and hypocrisy of any claims you make re: concern for civilian life & the victims of this war when you will take no position on this crucial point.

As I said, your posts on this thread are exercises in intellectual bankruptcy (just asking questions, smokescreens and deflections) and moral bankruptcy (refusal to condemn illegal war and Russian war crimes).

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Even if Russia were not on the security council, the UN could still do nothing.

If a nuclear armed state decides to ignore a UNSC ruling - who blinks first?

Yes they can. the problem is - can they use them?

If that money is actually introduced into the economy it will just cause inflation, what the EU and US really need is commitment from Russia that they will contribute construction equipment and crews and energy to help rebuild Ukraine, which is unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭vixdname

Today on RT.COM-

Wouldn't you be so proud of our home grown EU officials.

You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Yeah, sorry I was imprecise which is always unhelpful. "Global" may have been better to use than just "international". I was thinking of the UN and I believe I have read criticism of the IMF also (as regards willingness to support Ukraine's budget + it being slow to act).

In my head EU is a European structure, NATO is mostly a European structure (membership) and its original purpose was security in Europe...but you are correct.

I don't think the EU or NATO have failed here, both have done pretty well despite the handicap of unanimity requirements and having 1 or 2 problematic members that are ambivalent or will tend to support Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,882 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think it's naiive to expect all 200+ countries on the planet to be forces for good. We have prisons for individuals who can't conform to societal norms; some of them never do and spend most of their life locked away from the rest of society. I see the same happening to Russia. Once they have been kicked out of Ukraine, just isolate them and prevent them from interfering with other countries. Russia will probably implode and degnerate into civil war. But after seeing what they're capable of towards Ukraine, I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,492 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

In the battlefield you make battlefield decisions. We know the UA had drone intelligence as a drone recorded the even.

The position seemed isolated with no effective artillery support. The commander decided know the chance of the Russian of having any RPG was virtually zero. The chance of an RPG hitting a fast moving tank was one in twenty to thirty.

What if they sent troops in support you probably slow the mobility if the tank and the tank and troops are more at risk. The least risky solution is send the tank in moving fast. The reason the Russian lost most tanks was lack of mobility

Any modern tanks hit by RPG which were successful were fairly static and in Urban or area where high speed mobility was limited.

If that was a UA position the troops would have 2-3 LAWS and either a Javelin, tank or howitzer on support. The HIMMAR's and and drone guided shoot and scoot heavy howitzer's are preventing this on the Russian side.

So the Russian solution would be a mass human wave attack which the UA constantly chew up.

In an urban or low mobility area you definitely would not send in a tank by itself. If you ate fairly sure there is no artillery or AGTM support and even RPG's are unlikely then a fast moving tank is a good option

Even for the tank crew it's probably safer

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

From the production values in that video, I suspect the Ukrainians were using a small fleet of drones to gather intelligence and to guide and monitor the operation. This detailed assessment is likely what lead to the action beeing taken, part of which undoubtedly was checking carefully for any ATWs.

But of course you are right; unfortunately Ukraine is incredibly under resourced for taking on 93% of Russias ground forces along a front that is over 1,000km in length. Resources are stretched pretty thin.

The leverage Ukraine is gaining from it's use of drones, is prodigious.

They sent around 90 drones and a swag of Starlink terminals to Bakhmut. a couple of weeks ago.

Well for starters point 5 will most like depend on points 2 and 3. Can a nation join the EU if it's borders aren't fully recognised or if there are border disputes?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Advertisement

It's a question of scale, ultimately.

Russia is geographically enormous, vastly rich in natural resources but most importantly, has a massive stockpile of nukes.

North Korea is containable. Russia is not. We're going to have to reckon with them strategically.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement