Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 Season - What ball will you be playing?

Options

Comments

The Seeds have gone up in price, but are still great value compared to the Pro-V which is the ball they are targeting.

I was buying Pro-V, but my home course is a links and I can be fairly wild off the tee, so I just got sick enough of losing the price of a pint every time I lost one. Reaching that age and stage where I know it ain't going to be the ball that makes the difference to my game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Pro V1x like the firmer feel compared to the Pro V

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭The Guru 123

Seen a couple of people mention quality control in relation to the seeds, I’ve never had any issue with them. Just wondering what you’re referring to with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭blue note

Neither have I. I've never had a problem with them scuffing either, but I very rarely here through a round with the same ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Exactly this, some batches are good and some just scuff and even cut after just a few shots. I've played seeds a number of years and since they've gone to the new version of the balls, their durability is severely lacking. I think the X1 is better than the new SD02 which is what I have my subscription for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

For me with seeds is you can often feel a difference between a batch of balls in a dozen. Take 3 or 6 out on to a putting green and I’d be confident at least one will feel and sound quite different to the others. If you actually look at the finish on them as well, the logo is often all over the place with blemishes too. They tear up fairly easily too, have found Srixon a bit like that too. TM and Titleist durability is very good across their ranges. It might all be in my head but I’ve had others say the same so I don’t think so.

They are good balls though and I don’t think there’s anything better for their price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

TP5x usually

Prov1x if I can’t get them.

Used to a ball that spins in the greens and the quality control means you never get a bad ball.

I’ve tried srixon z stars for about half a season but seen a few oddities that shook my confidence in them. The article years ago on chromesofts coupled with the price hike put me off them aswell.

Rarely lose a ball and found both TP5 and Prov1 hold up well through a few rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

I find Pro v's tear up easily great ball though. Not great in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

This tool, I find is a good option for a quick reference.

Unbiased (their claim) and a relatively broad range of balls covered

https://mygolfspy.com/ball-lab-golf-ball-quality-comparison-tool/

I might have been lucky so but generally find them quite well wearing. Only scuffing when I’m the trees. Have had plenty last me over 36 holes and not a bother. Never use them once we go non counting and generally once it gets softish in September I put them away for the year. Winter golf I don’t really care what ball I’m using, generally just buy whatever’s on offer.

• Advertisement

Pretty sure that they're basically coming out of the same factory as the likes of Vice Golf too, somewhere in Thailand maybe?

So the reality is they're not going to have the same quality control as either Titleist, TM, or Callaway (who invested massively on that side of things after the bad press a couple of years ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭coillcam

Well I can tell you that Seed and Honma balls are in the same factory. I got a Honma ball in one of my Seed sleeves last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

Am I alone in liking the AVx?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

Do golfspy factor in what the balls are like to putt with. Tee to green the prov1 is Miles ahead of everything else but nothing that I've played with comes close to truvis for putting

Not a big fan of mygolfspy stuff on a lot of equipment. The testing just seems totally arbitrary but is presented as very scientific. They do good stuff on durability though but i'm not convinced of their views on how the ball performs on the course. A lot of it seems to be just get a machine to hit a ball 10,000 times on a trackman and use the results to determine what ball is best.

If you read some of their equipment reviews they seem a bit all over the place. TXG on youtube i find a much better resource for gear reviews.

@higster I like them in the time i used them but I think they need a rebrand to get more use. People think they're a cheap Titleist ball rather than basically a low spin ProV1 which it is. If it was called ProV1 LS or something like that they'd get more use IMO.

The ball lab rating stuff is entirely driven on consistency of build rather than ball performance from what I can see

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

ProV 1x as long as Elverys keep doing their buy one get one half price and my friend stays in his job in Elverys/staff discount.

Stopped getting Seeds as 2 dozen ProVs works out cheaper with the double discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭username?!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭username?!

No, big fan of this but wish it was a little cheaper than the Prov1.

It's on more than it's off afaik. Offer was on before Christmas. Not sure if it was stopped for a bit but it's back on at the moment.

They seem to be out of ProVs though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭blue note

Does that make it €90 for 2 dozen or so then? That's sounds very pricey to me. I got 3 dozen seeds for €29 plus postage, so €31 per dozen. An extra 50% for prov1s just doesn't sound with it to be. Plus you've to go to the shop.

They paused them last year but all the big names will be doing 4 for 3 this year so depending on brand you go for it should work out about €40 a dozen for pro v1/TP5/chromesofts which is ok for me and worth the premium on the seeds.

It would be €90 without the staff discount, 30%. With staff discount it's basically 2 for the price of 1, €64 ish. €32 a dozen being on par with where Seed are now.

Just decided to try the Tour Soft out. 2 dozen for €42. Not really a bargain unless you have someone to get you the staff discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭coillcam

Might be of interest to some. Seed sent out an email today that the SD-01 can now be pre-ordered to ship from Feb 23rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

Saw that alright… is it just me or are they expensive ? €35 starting price per dozen plus shipping?

lastly what’s the difference between the sd-01 and the sd-x1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

Sd-x is the old sd-01

The current sd-01 is a rubbish golf Ball. Cheap, plastic feeling outer layer. Horrible to play with. Baffling that they renamed one model but then kept the name for another model that is completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭big_drive

I've bought Seed balls in past but at €35 a dozen I'd probably just try get an offer on something like Srixon or Bridgestone previous year model that were being sold on offer. You'd probably get them for €40 a dozen or 2 for €70 so basically same thing as Seed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

finishing off a box of TP5 pix that I got as a gift last year. Have a couple of boxes of the TM Soft Response 22 ready to go for the season ahead. Im not talented enough to see much of a difference between the 2 apart from the price 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I've been using Titleist Avx since they were first brought out and I imagine I'll be using them again this season. I tend to generate way too much spin and these balls help reduce that a lot. I've definitely gained yards using this ball. Really wish they were a bit cheaper though.

Advertisement