Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Road Racing 2023

Options
  • 09-02-2023 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭

A general thread for all things racing on the roads & beyond for 2023.

A new points system for juniors to fast track lads to higher class racing.

The early races I’ve looked are running separate A2 races which I hope are supported as these will ensure a pathway for decent jnrs & those A2 lads who can be competitive when not chasing Feeley round the roads.

Personally I’ll be flogging myself in A3 after a really good winter for once so fingers crossed for a few points but not enough to upgrade!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'll be flogging myself in A3 after a really bad winter, lets see which plan holds up better 😉

What races are you aiming for, looking at the Dublin Wheelers and the Carrick Paddys Day race to start off the year

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Same two races for me as well to start off with one more in March that will either be Boyne GP or one in Limerick. I’ve a bit of a love hate affair with Carrick so hoping this years it’s love!!!

As with last year I’ll spend most of it in Leinster racing due to a woeful Munster calender.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Will be at DWCC and the Navan race to open. Have yet to start any real training though 😆

Same pattern as last year, got going in mid November and then spent December and into the new year on/off sick! Will be headed for Gorey again hopefully. Delighted to see the TT is back

I was a bit disappointed the TT was back on, zero craic for me. Must start annoying others to see who has a spare TT bike they can lend me for the race. Hopefully I am far enough down the list I can guage the time to ride within not to get knocked out. Have to learn to have manners this year. Last year I started at the back on the rollout, overtook everyone on the first hill and then stayed near the front for a lap, even pushing at the front. Then promptly blew up, went out the back, caught the back of the Cavalcade, rode up through it, past the comms car who I'd say were confused, got dropped again and then done the same twice more I think before blowing out the back door completely. Need to learn to have manners. Great race though and the organisation was superb for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭joey100

Be first season in a2 for me. Good winters training done, only 1 session missed since October so couldn't ask for much more really. Plan is a lot of races over the first few weeks, nice to see some a2 only ones too, then gorey and all things going well a rás spot too.

• Advertisement

DWCC race on March 4th - 80 riders on narrow roads as per the flyer.

How narrow is narrow? How does the course ride?

Could someone link a Strava route?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

Narrow enough, especially when at speed down by Culmullin, dirty little dig up to the finish.

Thanks, yes that finish looks tasty which will thin out whats left.

A3 goes one of two ways, either it's all out from the gun with riders thinking they have amazing legs. If you can hold on for the first lap it settles down but one or two bends are sketchy. The other is a typical no one does anything and eventually a breakaway rider or two TTs away (which I love as it frustrates those who neutralise all my attacks). The road after the finish is probably the tightest as it still climbs a little and then descends. If you have the legs, power through here to get away from the sketchiness. The only issue with the finish is all the riders who go early and blow 70m from the line. It goes ditch to ditch here and alot are red lining so pick your lines carefully. I went really early last time and got overtaken just before the climb but then casually overtook half the field who blew up.

It's a great race either way and highly recommended.

• Advertisement

If I can’t hold on for the first lap I’m in all sorts of trouble as it doesn’t look overly lumpy even for a hefty lad.

Might just TT away as you said 😂

The second time I done this race in A4 it didn't drop below 50kmph for the first half a lap, then there was a crash and my front tyre got speared by a chainring (no one was hurt). Second time in A3 it was more sedate, I was one of the people driving it, then just as I decided nope, no more, two lads went and people looked at me to chase so I sat up, they got a gap and took 1st and 2nd after 2/3 of the race away on their own. There is only that one lump through the finish line, it slows almost instantly after as everyone has brain fog and forget it's still a few more 100m. It is windy after the finish as well and what I would consider the only truly narrow part of the course.

This year I’d expect it to be be full gas with a short trip plus alot of giddy jnrs in their fancy new 53T chainrings.

All that said looking forward to getting racing as it’s been a long winters training & gym work.

I can't wait for them to be upgraded 😃 The race is a training race for me, so I am going to take the piss for the first lap and get shot out the back, if you have any specific stupid ideas for me to try, please let me know.

I take back what I said, if rumours of the TT are true, I am very excited for it to be back.

Any hints to the rumours??

Nope, because they could be wrong but its my type of TT, I'd say confirmation will be out soon enough. 4 stages though, it will be a tough weekend.

Gorey

Ras Mun

Ras

Serious early season action for stage racers. Lads will need to be plenty fit going to Gorey.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭timbel

Has anyone got their race numbers yet?

Nope.

Appealed my classification this year so I assumed that was holding it up.

• Advertisement

I'd expect it to be late February for most with all the changes, like most years I imagine Comms will give grace for the first race or two if you have last year's and inform them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Numbers arrived today. There will still be someone at the first race with their number scribbled in Biro on a A4 Sheet. It's tradition.

Mine too, nice in the plain white for A3,

Always had an issue with the size of the numbers so usually from them slightly but got pulled by comms at a race lat year for cutting them.

The size of the numbers is one of them things that annoys me a lot more than it should. They are huge. As a smaller rider they nearly cover my complete lower back.

I do remember a comms pulling a guy for cutting the sponsors off (was that you). Yes they are big and I'd prefer if they were of a size that didn't cover pockets of smaller riders. I think the funniest I seen was a new rider wearing A2 numbers that the club gave him but no one told him to tell the commissaires so as we were approaching the finish line (not the final lap), the comms car pulled up and started giving out as the rider tried to explain. Eventually the story made it across and the bunch were nice enough to sit up for the story to go back and forth.

My favourite comms story for me was the Roundwood GP, really hot year and the A4 bunch only had 15 in it, race was delayed by 2 hours as the A2/A3 race had riders dropping like flies from dehydration. It started so late and with the small bunch there was no motivation I eventually had to pull out after the 2nd lap as I had promised to be home by a certain time. I dropped back to the comms to say I was pulling out and they were concerned it was medical. The look of amusement as I explained I was X km from home and I had Y minutes to make it down the long hill to Kilmacanogue. I think they were also annoyed as I was the only one driving it as I had more than winning on my mind. I got a text from another rider afterwards who thought I had heat stroke as they seen me pull off and take the turn for home.

I also had a comm at the A3 national champs tell me I was the most coordinated rider they had ever seen, which gave me a small sense of pride.

Its a Hill Climb, sort of. The link on their FB page seems to be listed as an Whatsapp link that isn't working but the thumbnail is Ballyminaun hill from the Northside. They have it as 2.4km so I imagine its a flat start, slight descent and then into this climb https://www.strava.com/segments/5135413

If you get enough speed on the slight descent I'd say you could big ring it all the way to the end. Its only 1km of climbing.

Newbridge GP lads - how does it ride? okay for a hefty lad?

This was last year though can't recall the race now.

• Advertisement

Absolutely fine, two climbs in it over 17km laps. Always a sprint finish and nearly always comes back together in the last 3km. The first climb is the easier despite having the worse reputation (Boston Hill), its only 3 minutes at most in a race. (about 5-7%) The second is shallower but twice as long(about 4%). After which you descend into the finish line, the turn after the finish has you on flat roads all the way round till you hit boston Hill again.

Advertisement