Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to purchase scythe

Options
  • 15-02-2023 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know where i can purchase a good quality scythe in Ireland, preferably an Austrian scythe?

Can't seem to find much online, I'm looking to cut two acres of grass so want one that will stand up to that,

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Ted Johnson's in Naas have scythes.

No idea where they are made though, or the quality.

They don't have all their stock online, but the staff are very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Squatman

2 acres of grass is a major undertaking with a scythe. could you get sheep, donkeys, goats, cattle, llamas, in to graze it off. if not, could you get a local farmer in with mower or topper. and if not, rent a strimmer with a blade and have your way with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭johnytwentyten

I would like to cut it then try and get some animals in to if for a few months, hoping to turn it into a wildflower meadow and this was the method i was told to use, cut once near the end of summer, some animals for a while, and then repeat year on year,

Very difficult to get someone around where I live to cut it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

There is an element of skill to sharpening and using a scythe too. It's not just a case of whacking the grass with it. If you haven't used one before, I wouldn't advise it. As others have said, 2 acres is a huge area to cut with a scythe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Squatman

just get animals into it. whatever isnt eaten can be handled afterwards. Madness to attempt what you describe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

I have an Austrian scythe I use every year on my wild flowers. Tough work for a half acre not to mind two. You don't have to knock it all out in one day though. Also depends on what you are cutting, some stuff is a dream to cut and some is a nightmare.

https://www.fruithillfarm.com/

Quick edit, I found I need to use the heavier clearing blade always. The normal cutting ones are too thin.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I got a scythe in my local co-op many years ago, I'm not sure what type it was - I had experience with scythes before, but this one had a blade that was way too thick and wide, esp. compared to the ones I was used to, and the handle was at such an angle as to force you to stay with a bent back. I was never able to sharpen it properly, nor was I able to use it as much as the lighter ones I was used to. I did succeed in putting my back out with it quite badly, though.

Perhaps others might be luckier/more skilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Boom hire a power scythe for a day or two...

Power Scythe Hire | HSS Hire

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

They go by 'finger bar mower' as well. They don't often pop up on hire shops. Good to see HSS do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭jimbobmalones

I have a schrocken fux which i bought online - similar on fruitfield farm - recommend them but only for

areas that aren't rough / no stones/ briars etc.

I also have a heavy scythe i got in local hardware which is good for rough hedgerow type cutting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Ted's sells the Austrian scythe. I'm working with the importer and I'm always amazed of how many we sell each year

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ttnov77

If you never did it before I would advice to do short course, there are few around Ireland. Or at least watch few videos, if you do it wrong you can hurt yourself. And definitely split it to smaller chunks.

If you experienced 2 acres isn’t bad, we had to do over 10 with my father when I was teenager.

When establishing wildflower meadow definitely use at least yellow rattle https://www.growitbio.com/product-page/irish-native-wildflowers-yellow-rattle-aka-meadow-maker, some native mix won’t hurt either as you speed up the process.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Wife did her knee in last summer with a scythe. Tore the meniscus

Advertisement