Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full mouth extraction

Options
  • 12-02-2023 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi guys, so after years of crippling anxiety and dental phobia, im taking the 1st steps in getting my teeth extracted and getting dentures. Have my appointment this week. Getting them extracted in multiple sessions, this week im getting 8 extracted, 2nd appointment 7 and so forth. My question is how long do I have to wait between appointments to get more teeth extracted?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Post edited by markmoto on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Didn't even this something like this was a thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Are you sure your teeth are beyond repair? Sounds very drastic for a first time return to a dentist.

Have you looked into who will do your dentures, you need to shop around, not for price alone, but workmanship.

I would worry that after the first extraction you may not return. I understand your anxiety, I've a few teeth that need attention, and started root canal last year, due to family circumstances, and cost, and the pretty hard time getting the first root canal, I've yet to return.

Both my parents had full extractions back in the 50s when it was a thing. My mother, in particular had years of issues afterwards, and lots of regrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

How do you shop around for denture workmanship? Each denture is custom made for a particular patient and it is up to the dentist to ensure that the laboratory work is up to scratch,

Removing people’s teeth isn’t “a thing”, it is only undertaken if clinically indicated. Though not as common as it used to be due to improvements in oral hygiene and dental treatments, it is unfortunately required at times due to gross decay and/or periodontal/gum disease which may have gone beyond treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭brokenbad

I wear a denture myself for the last 15 years (top 4 front teeth) and it took multiple sessions to get to the finished product between the extractions, cleaning the surrounding teeth in preparation for the impression (could take 3 or 4 sessions alone if you have gum disease). The impression itself to determine the denture shape can only be described as having a mouthful of playdoh) took 2 sessions to finalise the shape and then there's the fitting of the finished denture which may take another couple of sessions of tweaking to get the clasp and fitment right. All in - it took about 10 visits in total over the course of 2 months.

• Advertisement

Is it just possible for you to read my post correctly? I said my parents got their teeth extracted in the 50s when it was a thing. Not now. Nor did I suggest same.

Checking the workmanship of dentures is similar to checking crowns, colours, fittings and aftercare, like one would looking for a good dentist,doctor etc, it varies. Some regular dentists do the whole job, while there are some specific clinics for dentures also.

I can say from a friends experience regarding anxiety, if you’re having mass extraction. You ain’t seen nothing yet , it ultimately went well but the period between the extraction and finish was hell on earth and not for the faint hearted .

I did read it, just wondering how the op would check around for workmanship of dentures? They are custom made for each individual person, do you think the op should go around asking people to look at their dentures?

Ah here, you're just messing, ever heard of samples, no?

I assume you concur that you read my initial post incorrectly, assuming the 'in thing' was not nowadays but in the 50s.

I’m a dentist, I’m struggling to see how anyone would “shop around” for workmanship. The dentures made for one person will not fit another, nor match their appearance. What are you looking for?

It is up to the op’s dentist to ensure the laboratory makes the denture to their measurements and prescription. No doubt the op’s dentist will have explained that due to changes in the tissues following multiple extractions, the dentures will need to be relined/remade 6 months later. This is unavoidable as it is part of the healing process, so even the best, most accurate dentures fitted after the extractions will become looser over time.

• Advertisement

Clearly you are of the opinion that your workmanship should never be questioned or viewed before work takes place!

In 30 years, I’ve never been asked by a patient to show them someone else’s denture so they can check the workmanship. I’m struggling to see what you would expect to glean from seeing it.

Anyone who has had full dentures will tell you it is an arduous process with multiple visits, measurements, try ins etc before you get to the final fit. This is distinct from making a denture with one, or a couple of teeth, which is a much simpler process.

It is up to the dentist to ensure the laboratory workmanship is to the standard required. Immediate dentures, made to fit soon after multiple extractions is a completely different process and involves a considerable amount of guesswork by both dentist and laboratory, on what the tissues are going to be like after the teeth are removed. This process begins before the teeth are removed as generally, the patients want teeth to be fitted in position either on the day the teeth are removed, or very quickly afterwards. It is generally impossible to view examples of this as they are made, and fitted very quickly to save cosmetic embarrassment. Also, as I posted earlier, the tissues change shape in the weeks after extractions due to resorption (shrinkage) and remodelling of the bone and gums. So a well fitting denture can become loose quickly through no fault of either the patient, dentist or laboratory.

While I appreciate that you were not to know, the op is best taking advice from his/her dentist on this rather than shopping around for an undefinable standard of workmanship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 e1-co6amfdc

When you get a tooth extracted, be really careful not to suck or spit for a good time after, because doing those things creates a vacuum in the mouth which upsets the extraction area. Also, you need to take care and be mindful not to get a dry socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bgvvf

I don't have access to your specific medical history or the exact treatment plan your dentist has recommended. However, generally, dentists usually wait for several weeks to allow the extraction sites to heal before performing another extraction. This interval between appointments may vary based on several factors, such as your overall health, the number of teeth that need to be extracted, and the complexity of the extractions.

Post edited by bgvvf on

• Registered Users Posts: 1 baltoo

It's great that you're taking steps to address your dental phobia and anxiety. The timing between extractions can vary depending on a variety of factors such as your overall health, the complexity of the extractions, and your pain tolerance.

Typically, dentists will recommend waiting a few days to a week between extraction appointments to allow the extraction sites to heal and to minimize discomfort. However, the exact timing will ultimately be determined by your dentist based on your individual needs and circumstances.

It's important to follow your dentist's instructions for aftercare and to communicate any concerns or discomfort you may have during the healing process. Good luck with your upcoming appointments!

Advertisement