Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

He's had an eventual time here too it appears

The man, who cannot be identified, claims he has been verbally and physically attacked, robbed and racially abused while sleeping rough.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭batman_oh

And there are many leftie liberals blindly ignoring what a lot of people are thinking because their sense of moral superiority means their views cant be challenged and anything they don't like is far right. As always, look to Sweden to see the same thing already played out.

Here's a Swedish guy just in case we go down the it didn't really happen in Sweden route again:

https://www.facebook.com/1766728306/posts/pfbid09uSt8uMwUcVRA2oEJUQp1JJH64VKUg9V3PuzeqBwf4cPs9uGs73vA47WTHxYDFVHl/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The "not everyone who has an issue with immigration and refugees is far right" thing is true but actually leaves the far right badly exposed. Yes, many people in the general Irish population may well have a problem with the refugee numbers and the accommodation crisis etc - but nearly all of the 'outrage' and street protests and noise on social media is indeed coming from the far right. Ordinary people are simply not engaged with the subject to this extent.

I rarely hear the refugee issue being discussed in every day discussions - good, bad or indifferent.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,535 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I live in a small village of maybe 1000 people, over 100 Ukrainains arrived here at the end of last year and we knew nothing about it until it happened.

We have one shop, a post office, a doctors surgery which operates 2 days a week and no public transport.

The situation where I am isn't unique and is happening all over the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Any proof? It's just hard to believe you without evidence. You said before that every refugee is an economic migrant so... yeah.

• Advertisement

I'd be interested to know how much it costs to take a case to the High Court, in fact I'd imagine a lot of people would seeing as we are paying for it.

Why did he pass numerous safe countries before leaving France which is also safe then jump in a container to come to our country?

you know i'm going to delete what I said there because I can see now you are only trying to bait me and get me threadbanned.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,593 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Why should he give proof are you trying to dox the poster by giving the name of his village?

I take it you'll be at Murphys march on Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I'm not on social media, so I'm not positioned to comment on who is generating and amplifying, what you perceive as 'outrage' around asylum seekers / IPAs / refugees, terms that you conveniently deploy interchangeably. My only experience of the protests are what I have seen, both in the mainstream media and on YouTube. To my admittedly untrained eye, the bulk of the protestors appear to be ordinary members of the community, with large numbers of women, accompanied by babies in prams and young children, plus a significant cohort of older people. These ordinary citizens appear to be significantly engaged, yet you have the temerity to brand them as "far right". Can't you see that this tactic is not only disingenuous, but ultimately destructive, as it will legitimately drive a wider cross-section of the community into the arms of the far right?

Have you ever considered that people do not discuss the "refugee" issue, specifically with you? People are generally pretty perceptive and tend to avoid discussing migration issues, with those of particular leanings. Anecdotally, I'm hearing the issue discussed with increasing frequency, both in my professional and personal spheres. The overriding sentiment is that the volume of asylum seekers / IPAs / refugees landing on our shores is unsustainable and it's time to consider a hiatus.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

You've never met a bigoted racist hunzo and her little angles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

The "not everyone who has an issue with immigration and refugees is far right" thing is true but actually leaves the far right badly exposed. Yes, many people in the general Irish population may well have a problem with the refugee numbers and the accommodation crisis etc - but nearly all of the 'outrage' and street protests and noise on social media is indeed coming from the far right. Ordinary people are simply not engaged with the subject to this extent.

I rarely hear the refugee issue being discussed in every day discussions - good, bad or indifferent.

I welcome the chance to dig down on this with you.

I understand you to say there is a large part of the population who "have a problem with the refugee numbers and the accommodation crisis".

A smaller group, who you insist on labelling Far Right, feel the same way but are more outraged and vocal about it.

In a sense the achievement of the protestors has been in allowing more and more of the privately annoyed to join with those expressing themselves publicly. That is a difficult jump. There are taboos to be overcome.

Is it possible that people are sounding you out and concluding you mightn't be receptive? Is there a bit of a Heisenberg Effect in play?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I've no idea what a 'hunzo' is, but I suspect it's derogatory. I also suspect that I don't mix in the same circles as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭enricoh

Saw portmagee mentioned a day or two ago, have in laws down there. Locals are now in the minority n dumbstruck. With hotels gone for refugees n Airbnb now banned it's game over for the tourist town.

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/news/over-200-more-ukrainian-refugees-to-arrive-in-south-kerry-41966572.html

Post edited by enricoh on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

If that's the case why aren't the numbers protesting getting bigger? Same 50-60 blocking traffic at Eastwall every night, the Finglas one vanished after Carey got lifted and it turned out 2 migrant rapists were one white Irish lad.

If the silent majority are suddenly finding a voice, where are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If that's the case why aren't the numbers protesting getting bigger?

They have actually got smaller because they are not talking to each apparently.

The Nationalist crowd have about 60 and Irexit crowd have about 80.

If they would only pool together they would have 140.

😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Matt Cooper using Tommy Robinson to bash protestors

Close to three hundred last night at the Five Lamps after East Wall, Sheriff Street and North Inner City met up.

I posted up thread about twelve places around the country having protests in the next couple of days.

But the focus on numbers is wrong - what the protests have achieved is the mainstreaming and normalisation of certain views about immigration. Continuing to do that should be our focus.

Look at this thread for example. Do you imagine people on here would have been voicing these opinions six months ago. That's mostly due to the wheels falling off the immigration system but also credit is due to those who removed the taboo on giving out about immigration.

They real don't get it. We're not playing on the same terms we once did. The situation is so bad, that guilt by association stuff, which has been a highly effective tactic for years, doesn't work anymore. In their desperation though, they'll keep trying, hoping to slow the movement down or stop it outright, but it won't because the conditions are so dire.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Economics101

This guy appears to be anything but "Far Right". I'm sure the media will take a "pas d'ennemis a gauche" view.

The audacity of the outrage over this, considering that the same people are not one bit outraged about the hordes of people that they are letting into the country. We know the worst of Tommy and the best of Tommy, we can't say the same about the "refugees" they rush to support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

The "taboo" was forced upon us by the media and NGO class. It was only ever a manufactured righteous indignation.

In countries such as France and Germany, they have been mature enough to have debates over controversial subjects such as banning hijabs. In Ireland, such a suggestion would have caused uproar and condemnation from all sides of the political spectrum. Yet somehow even the Germans, who have far more reason to despise right wing policies than us, have managed to debate such issues without the sky falling in.

Ireland's media is far too small, incestuous, and vulnerable to pressure from our vast NGO industry. The media has never been allowed to debate such issues, without someone demanding them to apologize for doing so afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

• Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Is this lad really 36?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,593 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

His appearance doesn't help as you see from the likes of Matt Cooper and left wing grifter dickhead Mark Malone

I find it interesting that Cooper shines the spotlight on Robinson being here yet makes no mention that Steo Wall will be joining Chu and Murphy on Saturday for their protest, it should be noted neither of them seem to have any issue being associated with him either.

For anyone not familiar with Wall he is an ex jailbird who stabbed a man to death but for some strange reason he is seen as the best thing since sliced bread by the woke brigade.

I don't have much time for Robinson really but to the best of my knowledge he has never killed anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

All of the opinions these guys are giving could be lifted straight from GB News, the Daily Express and Nigel Farage's Twitter account. It's quite surreal to see the Irish anti-refugee crowd being at one with right wing English nationalism and NI loyalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Stephen Yaxley Lennon is here now.

What a motely crew, so that's 141.

🤣

Obviously I know of the three sources you mention but I've never actually looked in to any of them.

Hard to make the case though that the protestors here are just repeating UK material given how much more successful we've been.

I think the whole right wing characterisation of us is miles off. We are against the government and the NGOs. Who have been captured by leftists. To those leftists we're the enemy so we must be The Right.

We're not, but I'm happy to have them miss opportunities by making mistakes like that.

It's not Right versus Left. In the towns and neighbourhoods having these centres imposed on them it's Bottom versus Top. People's loss of power over their lives at a local level. The major disconnect in our society.

The groundswell isn't just about immigration.

*I met Farage once - he's by far the most charismatic politician I've ever encountered. After an hour he had people who hated him eating out of his hand and looking for selfies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I was a bit surprised with Newstalk this morning where one of them said that the left need the right and are trying create a worse situation than it is.

Could not believe they were admitting that the NGOs badly need a Bogeyman and for them its this huge Far Right problem we have.

Which we all know is total BS.(the so called huge far right at minute)

You see it in here too the way some are trying portray everyone in same bracket. Was welcome change to least hear some bit of honesty in media for a change even if just for few minutes.

Advertisement