Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scottish independence

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

No more than here, if there is a UI, the flag will have to represent the new reality.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

@tinytobe

Why would the Union Jack (Union Flag) need changing? It still forms part of the State flag of Hawaii - and if they can keep it, why cannot the rUK keep it.

To vote in a UK GE (or as you call it - Federal election) you need to comply with a residency requirement. I am not sure where this 15 years comes from. Perhaps you might perhaps post a link that specifies the conditions for it.

You appear to be very certain about issues yet to be decided following a successful vote in a IndyRef2. Maybe you could show some backing for those views.

Why is it a big deal or impediment to change? It's only a flag.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

You are asking the wrong poster. I have no interest either way what flag the UK or rUK use.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

What new reality?

Ireland became an artificially and temporarily partitioned Country, for reasons of political expediency.

The flag of this State already represents the two old dominant traditions on the island, so when the six Counties are reabsorbed into the contiguous Republic, there will be no need to conceive a new flag to represent that.

I'm sure it will become a talking point for British loyalists in the North, on an ever lengthening list of whataboutery to try and deflect from the inevitable, but theres no question but that the flag of the Republic will be maintained. Why ever would it not be?

If it is another flag that some people wish to live under, they can feel free to move to that territory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Much more important for Scotland leaving would, as someone else said,,mean leaving behind NATO, the TA, the RAF, the Royal Navy, citizenship, most likely the British pound and any kind of free trade with England, Wales and most likely Northern Ireland and all the money from Westminster to Edinburgh. Sturgeon led people up the garden path, she has a lot to answer for. No surprise she quit, she knows Independence is not coming. If it did, people would never forgive her.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,049 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

An awful lot of people here trying to gaslight the Scottish people into thinking they liked Sturgeon despite her being useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

For all those people who know exactly what is going to happen after independence, could you send me the winning numbers for the lottery this weekend.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭eire4

Certainly I am sure when Ireland is united there will be discussion about our flag but I would say there is just as much chance that the current Irish flag will be retained after reunification.

Personally I would be fine with changing to an all green flag with maybe the 4 provincial arms displayed in the middle as an option I like. Would make for a totally unique world flag. But that is just my opinion.

What the rump UK does after Scottish independence with their flag well thats up to them whether they retain it or go for something else. Personally I could care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Many independence supporters might be about to realise the grass isn't greener on the other side. Sounds like her successors are about to bring the de facto referendum plan to a screeching halt:

Flynn, who became Westminster leader of the SNP in December, said party figures were “going to be discussing and debating the merits” of the treatment of the next general election as a de facto referendum.

But he added: “I personally think that party conference should be paused, for obvious reasons. I think the new leader should have the opportunity and indeed the space to set out their position, their values and their intentions going forward.”

Asked if the position of treating the next general election as a de facto referendum was “dead” on BBC Radio 4’s Today programme on Thursday, he said the party should give the next leader space to set out their “agenda”.

Appears momentum for independence is about to grind to a halt. I had believed independence within the next 10 years was feasible but I'm now starting to have doubts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The tricolour would be very problematic, as it has always been taken to represent Irish nationalism (even though the original intention was for it to be an 'inclusive' flag with the colours).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Well if the new leader wants to continue to ask for mandates and then ask Westminster for a section 30 order pretty please then the SNP vote will dwindle. The only thing keeping them in power is the carrot of action on independence

The new reality that Scotland has left the Union.

Well if the rest of the UK that is left decide that the Union flag is adequate then that reflects their new reality too.

Scotland will be no longer a part, whatever flag they choose

• Registered Users Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭Water John

One part of the Union Jack is St Patricks Cross. UI would definitely require new flag and anthem. Sad to see NS step down. Scots need to go devo max or independent. England doesn't give a sh1te about them. they need to take off the blinkers.

No disagreement from me in that what your saying there would be the viewpoint from many unionists. The fact is it is inclusive regardless of unionist hate. I suspect also there would be a large number of Irish people would want to keep the current flag after unification. Having said that as I mentioned before my own personal viewpoint is I would be fine with changing it and personally favour an all green flag that incorporates the arms of the 4 provinces in it.

The Union Flag is an amalgam of three flags - St George, St Andrew, and St Patrick.

'Who wants to be a Millionaire' asked the same question three times over the years and got the answer wrong each time.

Q: Which country is not represented on the Union Flag? England, Wales, NI, Scotland? Contestants invariably answered NI, but the 'correct' answer was Wales - which is incorrect. The St George flag represents England and Wales, with St Patrick for Ireland, and St Andrew for Scotland. NI did not exist when the flag became the flag of the UK, and so cannot be represented.

They can have any flag they are happy with.

But NI is represented by the St Patrick Cross?

For UI we'll definitely need a 'committee' to design a new flag😉

But Wales is represented by the Cross of St George, along with England. Ireland, not NI, is represented by the Cross of St Patrick. Otherwise, all four are represented and the question is BS.

Has to said not sure how the cross of St George represents Wales. Sounds more like an English imposition given he is the patron saint of England whereas St David is actually the patron saint of Wales.

This is the St David's cross:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It's quite possible the party will split if they choose the wrong leader. There is a right and a left inside the SNP. These divisions were exposed for all to see during the gender bill.

It's an odd party, a bit like the Green Party. It's really only interested in one thing - independence. On everything else, they all disagree on. But Salmond and Sturgeon held the different factions together.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,049 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

More fantasy nonsense born out of your own bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

You seem incapable of hearing views you don't like.

You're confusing bias with opinions. I'm not a media organisation. And this isn't America.

The SNP only exists for independence. The fact that they have now dropped the special conference next month tells you that the leadership do not have the heart for their fundamental existance

But Wales does not really exist for the purposes of the so called 'union'

Sadly so very true. After Scotland does become independent it will be interesting to see what happens in Wales afterward.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Christy42

That is like saying that if we just put my name on a group project it will represent all of us. Wales is not represented by St. George, NI just took over the Irish part ofthe flag when it came into being, or possibly when it stopped representing the rest of the country that was no longer part of the UK.

The last major armed revolt by the Welsh was in the 1400's I think. Today the Independence movement has 24/25% support although how that would transfer into actual votes is a matter of some speculation.

• Advertisement

UK needs to go federal with monetary allocations as per Germany. Scotland, England North, England South, Wales, NI. with Devo Max. Maybe too radical for Starmer but it's the solution to many woes.

Advertisement