Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

80%+ of S battery failures are linked to water engress, there's a few bolts in particular that rust and let in water, once water get in it's a disaster. Tesla have been told by informed S owners and know about the bolt issue but refuse to replace because in replacing them they compromise the battery watertightness which could lead to warranty battery replacement....

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You're a doom merchant!

There's a significant chance of one module (out of 15-17 modules) failing over time, say 1% per module per year, or one expected module failure per 6-7 years for the whole car. Once that module is replaced (not fixed) with another one, you're back to that significant chance of it happening again, expected once per 6-7 years

A module costs about $1000

Labour? Nothing if you DIY, $13k from Tesla, $4k from an indy because they can and maybe $1k from a friendly mechanic. Not dissimilar to a far more common BMW timing chain failure and a bargain compared to a Porsche IMS bearing failure 😂

Moral of the story: if you only have budget to buy an old car, and you always take your car to the main dealer, do not buy a Tesla. Or a BMW. Or a Porsche 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭traco

I buy old cars and don't take them to a dealer, only way I can afford to play with a big Merc and Porsche. Probably explains my interest in older potential deals if you are prepared to do a bit of legwork etc yourself.

@traco - Exactly. I have mainly owned older Teslas, BMWs, Mercedes and Porsches myself 😂

Obviously changing a timing chain / intermediate shaft yourself is completely different from changing a 400V battery. Not a hope I could ever have done the former. But I'd take on the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kilough

Would the 2019 and onwards M3 battery have same concerns, i.e. once past 8 yr warranty, real risk of battery dying and resultant large drop off in resale value?

Could never afford a Tesla but with price reductions, I'm hoping that M3 resale value will drop sub 30k and make it possible.

• Advertisement

Tesla have sorted the major battery issues well before Model 3, their BMS is excellent on the 3 and Y

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

also, no AP on that model S which would be a deal breaker for some.

I had no AP on my first Model S, but I installed the open source "Open Pilot" system from comma.ai that worked better in many ways than Tesla's own system. This job might not be for everyone though 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kilough

Thanks for replies. Good to hear that newer battery life is improved and not a major concern. Not particularly concerned with having AP or not although haven't ever sat on a journey managed by auto pilot so maybe I don't know what I'm missing..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I didn't think free SuC followed new owners? That's a bonus alright.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It stays with the car for its lifetime once Tesla don’t take it as trade in.

Once the car is registered 31/3/17 or before, and has not been traded in to Tesla since 2019, and it originally had SC01 (some models like S60 this was a paid option), the supercharging is transferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭RM Ernest

Cheapest M3 performance I have seen. Under 40k

Looks very clean.

Nice but we'll see a €35k one soon. I would either lowball or hold off.

I am waiting but it's getting tougher :-)

Interestingly a good few more up on DD and carzone in the last 2 days.

@RM Ernest - Tougher to hold off and not pull the trigger? 😁

A very serious but lowball offer might do the trick. After sweet talking to the seller for a bit about his lovely car, then about the market and all those Teslas that will be for sale next month when people are picking up their new Model Y. Then make the offer and either say you can Revolut right there and then or hand him €1000 in cash as a non refundable deposit to complete the deal within a few working days.

When the model Y are delivered expect the stock of used M3 to drop again. I wouldnt buy now.

Exactly. Buy now if you can get away with a lowball offer thousands lower than one has yet sold for. Or wait it out.

I have patience and can pounce when the time is right but just trigger happy now 🙂

All the hallmarks of someone who gets the best deals. A vulture ready to strike. And that's a compliment 😁

Good luck and keep us posted!

• Advertisement

But we just don't know what Tesla will do, they've increased the price of the Y twice in the states and left the 3 untouched, maybe they will increase the price of the 3 soon. They are hard to read, we all knew the Y and 3 would drop in price this year sometime but not by the level they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭RonnieL

I'm also in the market for a used Model 3. Holding fire for the moment, but there seems to be more coming to the market now, with the prices dropping a bit. I'm watching this thread like a hawk too, so if any of ye spot a bargain, feel free to ping me - There's a few pints in it for you! I got a great deal on my current car (Ioniq 28kw) because of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

In the market too, wife prefers my m3 over her civic so if can get one at right money will be a 2 ev house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

While I would love an M3 Performance, I would be interested if a LR if it could be had for ballpark €30k.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What is the real life range of one of those leaf's?

How is that Leaf a bargain, they were about that price brand new? Also it's a good car, but the tech is woefully outdated and soon it will be very difficult to fast charge it as the CHAdeMO standard has been obsolete for many years now. I'd consider it at about €18-19k. Not €28k

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pron

GOM on mine (222) said 276km at 100% this morning ...

Certainly never been a problem yet for day-to-day driving and a few hours overnight charge

SV were closer to 33k / SVE 35k retail in 2022, depending on paint / options etc.

And yeah, CHAdeMO is a concern, but in 8k km so far, mine has seen a fast charger three times - twice before I got the Zappi installed, and once since on a round-trip Dublin to Arklow - I'd have made it back without, but it was there .. so rude not to grab a few kW!

• Advertisement

@pron - yeah I've said it many times before, they are a good reliable car and if you never or rarely have to publicly fast charge, it's not that relevant that they have CHAdeMO. Can't see anyone offering anywhere near €28k for it though. That sort of money will have you in a Tesla Model 3 if you push hard in the next month or two.

Advertisement