Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Mick Wallace and Clare Daly Irelands greatest shame?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Why pay when you get it for free?

Look to commissioners, senior civil servants, people like Merkel.

That's where the Rouble buys real value in Europe.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Wallace I suspect just loves getting himself in the news no matter how.

However he had a point about the parellels between Iran and Syria.

It's one thing advocating regime change its another dealing with the implosion of a regime and civil war.

However nobody should say anything mildly supporting the Iranian government. What happens in Iran is up to its people now.

I can't see the west intervening like they did in Syria or Libya.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

McManus somehow manages to be on holiday every time there is a vote on Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

He currently has health problems, given your obsession with all things Fenian, I presumed you would know more about his health than he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,888 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's a good idea to read the post before hitting reply. I didn't quote her as having said anything. But what she voted against and campaigned against is perfectly clear.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement

I am surprised that this issue hasn't made headlines on this site. Either our friend is completely deluded about his financial situation or he made incorrect declarations to the Dail and European Parliament while simultaneously making a mockery of the bankruptcy laws.

Paschal's two men and a van is small beer compared to this vat of wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

In the past week I saw that the White Helmets were doing trojan work, digging people out of the ruins inflicted by the earthquake in northern Syria. It reminded me that when Assad's troops (and later, Russian planes) carried out attacks on civilians in rebel held areas - the White Helmets were the first responders who documented the evidence of the atrocities as they tried to save lives. The pro-Assad/pro-Kremlin disinformation system reacted by creating a ludicrous conspiracy theory that it was actually the White Helmets themselves who were responsible for these attacks (including chemical attacks) in an effort to frame Assad and Russia.

Seeing this thread again reminds me that, amongst the very worst things that Wallace has used his platform for, has been perpetuating those particularly contemptible lies. For that alone, he's an utterly wretched man.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

That's so well said. He is an apologist for the most despicable regimes, just to maintain a bit of profile.

The European elections of 2024 cannot arrive soon enough. Wallace and Daly should have a spotlight pointed at them so strong that it ignites the remnants of their time in politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Haven't listened to Wallace much but am as proud as punch of Clare. Talk about truth to power and sticking it to the corrupt EU lackeys in as plain a language as anyone could.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Tell you one thing: you'd struggle to get anyone outside Ireland to name, at the drop of a hat, any Irish politician aside from them. And even fewer an Irish politicians in favorable light.

Leo who?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Yes.

I think you are right. Wallace and Daly are possibly the most despised politicians in Western Europe. Lackeys for Russia and other despotic regimes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't even think Wallace of Daly are that well known outside of Ireland either TBH; bar the bad reputation gained in their constant "BUT-WHATABOUT-NATO" ranting. Well. I gather they're quite well known in Chinese and Russia media circles where they're happy to be interviewed as part of general favourable puff pieces.

Getting more than a little tired of these ageing Lefties, who are so entrenched in Western self-loathing (oh sorry, speaking truth to power) after years of Cold War era concern-trolling, they'll twist into knots trying to turn everything being really, actually, NATO or America's fault. I'm sure ... I dunno, Artem currently stuck in Donetsk fighting an invading army, while his friends and relatives are being bombed back home, is touched by Noted Businessman Mick Wallace's belief Ukraine shouldn't be armed. You should think of peace, Artem. Peace!

Left Wing politics has clearly moved onwards into fighting for other things than Boo-America fist shaking. Not that I suspect the likes of Wallace would be favourably inclined towards the modern Left's desire to fix the Wealth Gap.

Even though they would probably be disgusted with the comparison, Wallace & Daly are basically following a similar playbook to Marjorie Taylor Greene:

• Primary goal in parliament is to get air time rather than legislate
    • Get that air time in whatever way possible
    • Use that air time to give angry, inflammatory speeches full of soundbites that will be ideal for clipping on social media
    • Aim those speeches at your target audience's erogenous zones (MTG: amplifying conspiracy theories for the right wing of the Republican base; W&D: Trashing Western Institutions for the consumption by the social media arms of autocratic and illiberal states and their useful idiots in the west)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Have the pair of them actually tried to get any of all their diplomacy talks started instead of just mouthing on about why you should talk to murdering tyrants like Putin etc .I think the answer is a big no .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think that's bang on the money. They're all empty vessels: no actual legislation achieved, no real change fought for on behalf of their constituents in Ireland or beyond. Just rhetoric and speechmaking while the actual adults are passing laws and trying to make the EU work for "everyone" (obviously one takes their own interpretation of how effective the EU Parlianment is in that respect).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ah God no, they may be Ireland's greatest political embarrassment of the current era, but they aren't the most despised politicians in Western Europe, as they simply aren't well enough known for that.

You're talking about the likes of LePen, Melenchon, Farage, Johnson, Wilders, Salvini, Kaczynski et al, to be the most despicable characters of this era.

I see that Wallace has now "amended" his declaration of interests to include a job as a paid "advisor" to those wine bars (that he had previously partially transferred into the name of his niece). Once a dodgy property developer, always a dodgy property developer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I don't know much about Mick Wallace but thinking about Claire Daly - she's in a difficult position.

In the European Parliament you gotta be part of a wider group. The conservatives have their group and so do all the (alleged) social democrats / labours and so do the liberals etc. I don't know if she is part of any group, She's either independent or maybe member of some pretty left fringe group. I assume in the European Parliament there are independents too.

Anyway all the big groups are singing the Ukraine hymn sheet like from a single mouth.

Whatever she's member of or not she's going to be like an almost lone voice out there. I know there are a few others from different countries but they're up against everyone else and they're small. They have no power to make legislative moves or anything. All thats left to them is the lone warning voice.

The mad thing is the harshness of the reaction of the establishment towards what she has to say. They want to discredit her, disrepute her, ideally ban her away or something. They're so afraid of even the tiniest amount of dissent to their fancy patriot games they go all out like a bitten fury.

That usually happens when your own case is so weak you can't afford any debate at all cos you'll be so obviously destroyed before any debate barely started. But thats no good to her being outnumbered 1 to 50 or something.

I have great respect for her.

• Advertisement

@CalamariFritti

The mad thing is the harshness of the reaction of the establishment towards what she has to say. They want to discredit her, disrepute her, ideally ban her away or something. They're so afraid of even the tiniest amount of dissent to their fancy patriot games they go all out like a bitten fury.

That usually happens when your own case is so weak you can't afford any debate at all cos you'll be so obviously destroyed before any debate barely started. But thats no good to her being outnumbered 1 to 50 or something.

Or, and hear me out here, it's because her behavior is so utterly repugnant and hypocritical that it disgusts most fair minded people, including the vast majority of MEPs. There is no honour in consistently going to bat for the likes of Putin, Assad, the Iranian regime and the Chinese Communist Party.

Anyway, you're using terms like "singing the Ukraine hymn sheet" which tells me that there is absolutely no point in arguing this any further as you already have it all figured out.

But the thing is it's not. It couldn't possibly be. It's a just cause I don't care what anyone says. How could calling for cease fire now and talks be 'utterly repugnant and hypocritical'? And calls for more arms be a good thing? Like how the f*** could it possibly be? It can only be in a distorted propagandized world.

Without arms, Ukraine would have ceased to be a sovereign state and at best, would have become a Russian puppet back in March '22. All the pacifist sentiments in the world won't stop an invading force marching into Kyiv. Attempts were made for a ceasefire at Christmas which I believe the Russians ignored anyway. There has been no sign Russia is even thawing to the idea of de-escalation - indeed all reports point to a Spring Offensive coming.

Contrarian rhetoric from a noted Putin apologist has no value when it flies in the face, so egregiously, of realities on the ground.

The Ukrainian government would have ceased to exist.

On the plus side there'd be a few hundred thousand men still alive or with all their limbs, a good few cities upright that aren't now, a few million refugees at home who are now here there and everywhere. Ukraine would be bust but intact.

When this is over they're going to be double or treble bust and in rubble. Less a few million refugees and a few hundred thousand men shot to bits. And Russia will get her will anyway.

But yay we all defended Ukraine's sovereignty.

That's a massively reductive, naive assessment of this war, when we've clearly see the effects of the Russian invasion in the likes of Bucha. They obviously don't share the belief they're there for regime change and nothing else. There's clearly no plan to win hears and minds of Ukrainians.

I'm not sure what you're suggesting cos it reads like Ukraine should have rolled over, hands above their heads, and just let Russia walk into the country, and all would be well then. Give the bully what it wants; I'm guessing you aren't Polish, or Latvian, or Finnish etc. cos the opinions there are hardened by the theory of Once Bitten, Twice Shy.

This war is a drain on life and resources, we all know that, but Russia started this, they chose to stay, they're choosing to launch a Spring Offensive; simply letting Russian flatten the country is the hubris of a cosy nationality far removed from the threat of invasion. So yes, yay Ukraine sovereignty; being contrarian doesn't really add much except glib fantasy.

But that strategy will flatten more towns and cities. And will cost more lives. And yet we sell our weapons with the slogan they save lives. Can't you see how mental those messages in the light of reality are? How can you all fall for that?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The options available to the West were supply arms to Ukraine or watch even more Ukrainians die as they resisted Russian aggression, rape, pillage and murder with inferior equipment. A fact Daly and Wallace are utterly ignorant of.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So don't stand up to a bully and let them have whatever they want? Do you think Putin will simply stop if handed Ukraine without a fight? Did he stop after Chechnya? After Georgia? After Crimea?

Who has sold weapons claiming they save lives?

Your argument against arming Ukraine is the marketing is bad? We all know why the weapons are wanted and where they'll be used; curling your lip because the language around the sale might offend is nonsense.

Ukraine have been invaded, their population attacked to this day through drones. Russia have refused overtures of ceasefires as recently as Christmas, and refuse to put their tanks into reverse gear.

What else does Ukraine do? Daly and Wallace are wafflers and their talk of "peace" and performative disdain for Western interference is at odds with reality. Easy to decry NATO as someone outside any realm of its realpolitik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement